PDA

View Full Version : Back Muscle

JWL
11-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I've been having a hard time building back muscle. I've used the machines and free weights, but it doesn't seem like nothing is working. I've been doing bent over rows, used the cables, etc. I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. I've generally been eating pretty healthy. Do you guys have any tips?

jcrules99
11-21-2006, 10:03 AM
how long have you been working out for?

how often do you work out your back?

how much weight are you doing?

JWL
11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I've been working on and off for about 2 years.

I do my back at least 2x a week.

With free weights I've been doing 10-15lbs (20lbs if I feel strong enough and less reps). With cables I've been using between 60-75lbs depending on the exercise.

I have to make note to you guys that I'm a girl.... maybe it's not in my genes.:dunno:

ixlr8
11-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Lower to Mid Back; Deadlifts Deadlifts Deadlifts!

Mid To Upper Back; Rack pulls from knee or above, Pull Ups, Chin Ups.

Don't let being a girl limit you at all!

JWL
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the tips!

My goal is to do chin ups (close grip) by early next year... I'm halfway there! :D

2.4l
11-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ixlr8
Lower to Mid Back; Deadlifts Deadlifts Deadlifts!

Mid To Upper Back; Rack pulls from knee or above, Pull Ups, Chin Ups.

Don't let being a girl limit you at all!
great advice.. :thumbsup:
for latpulldowns and rows use LIGHT weight, for deadlifts use HEAVY..
its easy for anyone to stack the latpulldown/row machines , but youll put twice the muscle on your back if you go slow and flex/squeeze your shoulderblades together for pulldowns,
since you cant do a chinup yet, use the assited chinup machine, and really flex and hold on the top for back muscle, lower yourself down really slow!

and since your a girl, just letting you know that defined back muscle on girls is SOOO hot. just dont get bulky.. keep working hard!

ricefarmer
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
yes, deadlifts are the lower, mid-back exercise
everything thats been mentioned will help you but if you're going for the defined upper back (which i think u are) then pair your bent over rows with some chest exercises to help:thumbsup:

JWL
11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll give those deadlifts a try. :) Plus, I'll let you know my progress goes (if anyone cares).. :P

It's easy for me to get defined shoulders, biceps and triceps, but as for chest exercises, I'll lay low on those. LOL...

drew_goring
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Diet does have a large factor as well.

Eken9
11-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by drew_goring
Diet does have a large factor as well.

HUGE factor.

JWL
11-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Yes I know diet plays a big part in building muscle and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I have cut out pretty much all sugars/unhealthy carbs (90%). Been eating the brown rice/ brown rice pasta, etc. so basically low GI foods. I have been eating lean meats (chicken breast, bison, turkey). I would like to eat and do things naturally. I have done the protein powder and creatin, the bars, xenadrine/hydroxycut. I didn't feel like myself. I have seen the changes that xenadrine did for me, but it's only a temporary fix.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

nos_efx
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Watch your form to when you do the single arm pull ups, make sure the elbow is as close to your body as possible and that when conducting the exercise you "envision" your back muscle flexing. I find this helps a lot for the back because you can't really see if from your stand point.

Deadlifts, you'll need to watch your form on this one as well. I usually place my feet shoulder width apart with my knees slightly bent. Your butt will need to be stuck out during the entire exercise as this enables your spine to remain straight throughout. If you find your spine curving at the bottom then your weight is too high, drop the weight as this can cause your discs to become herniated. If you are looking to tone this area I would keep the weight light and do anywhere from 10-20 reps per set, you do not need heavy weight there.

Lat pull down same thing, keep the weight light and do 10-20 reps each set, this will tone your sides and give you a more "slender" look. Make sure when you do this exercise that when pulling down you are not cruching your abs, if you find you are doing this drop the weight. Make sure you fully extend your arms when going up and you are bringing the bar as close to the base of your nect when bringing it down.

Hope this helps. If any of my info is incorrect please let me know

:thumbsup:

FlamingC19
11-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Im going to need some pictures so I can help you out.:poosie:

Eken9
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by JWL
Yes I know diet plays a big part in building muscle and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I have cut out pretty much all sugars/unhealthy carbs (90%). Been eating the brown rice/ brown rice pasta, etc. so basically low GI foods. I have been eating lean meats (chicken breast, bison, turkey). I would like to eat and do things naturally. I have done the protein powder and creatin, the bars, xenadrine/hydroxycut. I didn't feel like myself. I have seen the changes that xenadrine did for me, but it's only a temporary fix.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Put into account how much of it you eat as well.I stress people to count calories but they dont listen and they wonder why they hit plateaus or stop growing..

You're on the right track. I suggest tracking your calories and meeting your calorie goals for your day. Also remember, protein is just a building block for muscle growth. Without good carbs and good fats, protein would just be another expensive supplement.

acura_el
11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by JWL
I've been working on and off for about 2 years.

I do my back at least 2x a week.

With free weights I've been doing 10-15lbs (20lbs if I feel strong enough and less reps). With cables I've been using between 60-75lbs depending on the exercise.

I have to make note to you guys that I'm a girl.... maybe it's not in my genes.:dunno:

countdown till EK gets here 10...9...8...7...6:D

but on a serious note, focus on doing compound exercises...lots of pullups/chinups/deadlifts as mentioned earlier

jralli
11-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm a big fan of the deadlifts too....I'm a girl too and works gloriously for me so give'er a go darlin'! :D

liquidboi69
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Make sure you use proper form to do deadlifts...mabey start off with lower weights.

You can injure yourself pretty badly if you don't do it properly/do too much weight (ie: hernia) . Mabey try some good mornings with low weight and good form too.

nos_efx
11-30-2006, 09:29 AM
^

It may be better off doing deadlifts opposed to good mornings can be potentially hazardous if she doesnt know what shes doing.

writhen
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
^ Deadlifts definitely take a lower level of expertise when compared to good mornings. That being said, I recommend that you take someone who knows what they're doing and has done deads before. If you go by yourself, there will be no one to correct your form or show you what you're doing wrong. Also, if you want to do them, do a practice set of form only. Meaning you only use the bar and do 8-10 reps of just focusing on form. Get one of the personal trainers to help you out with it if you can, you need someone there who knows what they're doing.

JWL
12-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your concern guys! I did actually get someone to help me with my form doing those deadlifts. I didn't realize how "weak" my back was until I did them. :(

Unknown303
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Dead lifts are a defining moment for back fitness. You'll know right where you stand after doing some sets of them.

Nice to see so much good advice.