PDA

View Full Version : Fairlady Z auto to 5spd?

D_2K
11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
OK. I have a 1990 Fairlady Z 4spd auto. I know automatic....but w/e it was for sale down the street and i bought it on impulse.

ANYWAYS, i want to convert it to a 5spd. Does anyone know somone who has done this? Ive asked around, with friends and what not, and i alway get recommended to Autodream.. Ive been told they specialize on Nissans, but i don't know if they work on JDM imports. At MOST i would like spend around the 2500 mark.

If anyone knows the best way i can go about doing this, or just have any advice, like if i should just sell the car and buy a 5spd. Although i would rather not. I plan to do this by the spring time if possible. Thanks.

benyl
11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
sell the car and buy a 5 speed.

Tik-Tok
11-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by benyl
sell the car and buy a 5 speed.

That's probably what the previous owner was doing.:rofl:

theken
11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
2500 might get you the transmission, you wont get it installed, or have everything converted over for that price. as stated sell it and buy a 5 speed, less hassle.

and auto dream works on jdm cars

hussein
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
How much did you buy it for?

Lo)2enz0
11-21-2006, 09:08 PM
unless you can find a rhd parts car good luck

like everyone said, sell it a buy a 5speed

Annoyingrob
11-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by D_2K
Ive asked around, with friends and what not, and i alway get recommended to Autodream.. Ive been told they specialize on Nissans, but i don't know if they work on JDM imports.
Yeah, they work on imports a lot. I think they're more or less THE place to go with an import. They seem to know quite a bit about Nissan's. I however, have had bad experiences with Autodream, and wouldn't trust them with MY car (but that's just me).

RHD parts wouldn't be any different then LHD parts as far as transmissions, pedal assemblies, and clutch cylinders go.

To switch over to a 5-speed, you're looking for a new tranny, pedal assembly, clutch master cylinder (and slave cylinder), and a 5-speed ECU. You may also need a new driveshaft, and rear differential. If you can find a scrapped Z32 as a donor, it's not that difficult. Of course, how many Z32s do yo see in scrap yards? My advise would be to either live with it, or sell it. I know everyone keeps saying it, but it's probably the best thing to do. RHD Z32s are fairly common. I bet you could find another easilly for the price you sell yours for + 2500.

D_2K
11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
OK thanks alot guys. what I think im going to do is sell it. But, i need new struts and springs all around. Anyone have a valid estimate on how much that would cost, and where to go?