PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

CivicTunr
11-21-2006, 09:44 PM
okay ive decided my B18B is a little bit on the slow side, so ive decided im going to save up and buy something w/ a little more power.

ive decided on 3 choices,
1. K series swap.
2. import a car from japan.
3. buy a car here and drop in a new motor. (240sx w/ SR20DET,etc.)

just wanted to see what you guys would reccommend, im leaning towards the k-series swap, cause itll be pretty quick.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-21-2006, 10:04 PM
None of the above... you've already swapped... either turbo or a new car, don't import, don't buy another old car, and a k-series swap will require some love. Part's will be a bitch to find, and if you don't just get them custom made, then you'll have to import from some place like Hasport... have fun meng.

SilverBoost
11-21-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know shit about Hondas, but I never hear too many complaints about a little forced induction. I've turned my stock 150whp on a good day to 325whp. Again, not the same platform, and I don't know what your best block would be to boost on, but I'm sure as heck having fun. :D

mo_money2supe
11-21-2006, 11:27 PM
DOHC Non-Vtec B-series LOVE boost because of their low compression and strong blocks (with the exception of a b20). Drive it for the first time and you'll get hooked on it.

I've got an ls-swap as well, and I too find it a little on the slow side, so boost is hopefully in my upcoming year's to-do list for my car.

DonJuan
11-22-2006, 12:24 AM
my vote is for turbo B18B. MUCH easier than a K series swap and alot more benefit; it would be pretty darn cool tho. Importing a car or buying another car and doing a swap is starting over, if you like your car (and chances are you do) you would rather keep it.

CivicTunr
11-22-2006, 12:54 AM
yah haha i love my car, but people are like its a civic dude, your a idiot haha, i know i know it seems stupid to spend money on it.

i dont want to do B18 turbo'd cause i want some decent gas mileage without having to rev to only 2000rpms.

EK 2.0
11-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
and BESIDES cash, some experience in the upkeep of uncommon hybrids.

What?? Whats different in the "up-keep" of a K??

JordanEG6
11-22-2006, 01:15 AM
None of the above... you've already swapped... either turbo or a new car, don't import, don't buy another old car, and a k-series swap will require a lot of cash, and BESIDES cash, some experience in the upkeep of uncommon hybrids. Part's will be a bitch to find, and if you don't just get them custom made, then you'll have to import from some place like Hasport... have fun meng.

up-keep? its the same shit mang. I know from EXPERIENCE. ;) , it's just way more work to begin with, but once its up and running, its the same as any other swap as far as up-keep goes.

also, since the k-series is becoming a more and more common swap, there are tons of parts for hybrid EK/EG/DC and even some for EF applications as well. intakes, headers, exhausts, rad stays, shiftkits etc dont need to be custom made anymore, its all out-of-the-box, plug n play stuff.

But if money and time is an issue, i'd stick with a b series and boost it. but if you do a K, prepare for lots of work, money and to wait WEEKS for k hybrid parts hahaha.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

What?? Whats different in the "up-keep" of a K??

Because all he does is buy everything and although you can go that route... I just don't like it. Besides, why waste a good B-series?

Originally posted by JordanEG6

up-keep? its the same shit mang. I know from EXPERIENCE. ;) , it's just way more work to begin with, but once its up and running, its the same as any other swap as far as up-keep goes.

also, since the k-series is becoming a more and more common swap, there are tons of parts for hybrid EK/EG/DC and even some for EF applications as well. intakes, headers, exhausts, rad stays, shiftkits etc dont need to be custom made anymore, its all out-of-the-box, plug n play stuff.

But if money and time is an issue, i'd stick with a b series and boost it. but if you do a K, prepare for lots of work, money and to wait WEEKS for k hybrid parts hahaha.

I'd love to do a k-series myself... I just don't have the cash, and the b16 isn't so bad... How much did your swap cost? and would it be around the same now?

civicsi
11-22-2006, 01:19 AM
K-series all the way :love:

EK 2.0
11-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Because all he does is buy everything and although you can go that route... I just don't like it. Besides, why waste a good B-series?

ok fair enough...but your statement still has done nothing to support your "up-keep" comment...

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-22-2006, 01:22 AM

ok fair enough...but your statement still has done nothing to support your "up-keep" comment...

Alright, you win, edited. I bow to your superior :bigpimp: skillz.

JordanEG6
11-22-2006, 01:24 AM

I'd love to do a k-series myself... I just don't have the cash, and the b16 isn't so bad... How much did your swap cost? and would it be around the same now?

it would be the same now, but as always, there are ways around it to make it less costly, but not much less, but i dont cheap out, but i do try and get the best bang for your buck type deals. all you need to do is research. that and i got plenty of help from the previous owner :D

rc2002
11-22-2006, 08:32 AM
You should add one more choice:

4.) Buy an already modded car. If you find a car that suits your tastes and was built up properly, you'll have the car you want, and save time and money in the process.

Half of my cars have been built up from stock, the other half have been bought modded/semi-modded. I saved both time and money on the already modded cars, and in the end it was the same thing. I'm really getting sick of the headaches and running around that come with modding cars.

Lo)2enz0
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
dude, screw what other people say about your car. crap i want to do a ek hatch project. If you don't like the motor you have in there get a new one. last night i was looking at what is needed for a k-series swap and no offense to anyone, i would still take a b series over a k-series

i highly do not suggest a 240sx. I love them and hate them even more. Importing is cool, but you have to remember that these are older car's.

So what i am saying is, you have a great platform to work with. Keep it

SilverBoost
11-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
yah haha i love my car, but people are like its a civic dude, your a idiot haha, i know i know it seems stupid to spend money on it.

i dont want to do B18 turbo'd cause i want some decent gas mileage without having to rev to only 2000rpms.

Just so you know, my gas mileage has INCREASED since I went turbo. Of course you'll burn more if you're balls deep all day, but as for daily driving, even with the hit here and there, mine does great on gas. And on the highway at cruising speeds, it's amazing.

You have to remember that you most likely will have a zero restriction exhaust which helps, and that once you get your car tuned for boost it's also going to use that fuel more efficiently.

But really, in the end everything costs money. You gotta pay to play. :D

Oh, and there are some cars that aren't worth spendin gmoney on, but yours ain't one of them. It's when people spend a lot of money and still end up with shit that doesn' make sense. If you spend your money RIGHT, then you could have a super clean ride with some great streetable HP. Just do it right is all. Don't hack together shit. I get compliments on my kit all the time because it was done right. I've seen plenty out there though as well, that might make some god numbers but look like shit.

kdwebber
11-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Import a car from japan or buy a nice one allready landed. There is so much competition in the market right now you can get a really nice car for +- $8000.

Don't buy a 240 they have way too many rust issues
Drop the honda... RWD+Turbo FTW:)

frostyda9
11-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Throttle invoked oversteer is something enthusiasts have had fun doing ever since there was a car capable of doing it. One day, someone made it a little more organized and coined the term "drifting", but it is nothing new. Why do you think the drift phenomenon has been such a huge success? The sensation of modulating the angle of a car with the gas pedal and countersteer is one of the oldest and most pure staples of high performance driving. It is something you will never experience in a FWD car, and IMO that is why there will always be something slightly missing with FWD.

That's just my 2 cents. I love my teg, but no matter how many things I like about it, the drivetrain layout (for me) is what limits it to a really good car, instead of a really great car.

So to re-state the obvious, I vote for buy or import a (modded if possible) RWD car with potential.

Klobi-1-Kinobi
11-22-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
You should add one more choice:

4.) Buy an already modded car. If you find a car that suits your tastes and was built up properly, you'll have the car you want, and save time and money in the process.

Half of my cars have been built up from stock, the other half have been bought modded/semi-modded. I saved both time and money on the already modded cars, and in the end it was the same thing. I'm really getting sick of the headaches and running around that come with modding cars.

Words to live by.

If you keep your ek, and it is your only car, I would say a b18c/c1 swap. My b18c ek is zippy enough to be fun, its reliable, and far cheaper to do than a k-swap. If you have the $$, then a k swap would be even better.

If this is your 2nd (fun) car, than just boost the b18b. Lotsa fun and when it breaks (and it will) you wont be taking the bus to work.

Lo)2enz0
11-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
Throttle invoked oversteer is something enthusiasts have had fun doing ever since there was a car capable of doing it. One day, someone made it a little more organized and coined the term "drifting", but it is nothing new. Why do you think the drift phenomenon has been such a huge success? The sensation of modulating the angle of a car with the gas pedal and countersteer is one of the oldest and most pure staples of high performance driving.

read up on your history about drifting and you will find out where it came from

here is a clue

he was fishing off the dock in the lastest fast and the furious

SilverBoost
11-23-2006, 09:06 AM
^^^^ :D

Shit, drifting.... I used to drift in my old 81 Pontiac Parisienne, but that was before they had a name for it. Back then it was called "Hold On!"

;)

Supa Dexta
11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Ha, I've always hated people that go on and on about how "drifting" is from japan... They may have been the first ones to "organize" it.. But here in america where everything used to be rwd and not to mention everything used to be dirt roads, and the snow we get..etc.. People have been swinging the rear end around for 50 yrs.. It just didn't happen a few yrs ago, one day we see it on tv and we're like.. what! our back end will swing around!!!!!OMG

Lo)2enz0
11-23-2006, 01:59 PM
yes you guys are right, in some sort of sense.

sure its one thing to kick your back out when going around a corner. Look at the rally guys they use the same concept for getting around corners since 1973 (which is when the world rally championship started). But drifting "did" start in japan.

like all motorsports in the 1970's drifting was a normal technique. but in the 1970's a driver kunimitsu takahashi started to do it because he was winning all of the races in japan and he needed a bit of a challanged. so he started to hit the apex of the corner at high speeds while exiting the corner at the same speed with sliding the car sideways while creating a smoke show for the crowd. Once the professional drivers started to drive like this the street racers picked up on what was happening. In 1977 keiichi tsuckiya (who at this time was a street racer) became interested in what takahashi was doing and started to do what he was doing in the mountains. still in 1977 a bunch of magazines and tuning garages were interested in what tsuckiya was doing and produced a video of his techniques and was an inspiration for many professional drifters today. In 1988 the founder of option video helped organize the event.

drifting as a sport was officially introduced to northamerica (first time outside of japan) in 1996 but didn't get big till the event in 2002

-----------------------------------------

lol had to look up some info.

Weapon_R
11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
How much is a K-series swap nowadays?

Lo)2enz0
11-23-2006, 02:04 PM
alot, after headers, motormounts and the cost of the engine

its insane.

hasport motormounts - $750ish
axles $500ish
headers 500ish

than there is the engine cost

k20a is going for $7000

for that price you can have a built bseries

Rav4Guy
11-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Neither.

Take all that mod money add it to what you want to spend and buy a decent car. end of story.

EK 2.0
11-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
How much is a K-series swap nowadays?

I've seen from as little as 7 grand, on up to about 15 grand.

I think it depends on how hardcore you go with a few of your parts (K20 vs. K20R) and as well if you got mad hook-ups in the industry...

JordanEG6
11-23-2006, 02:44 PM

I've seen from as little as 7 grand, on up to about 15 grand.

I think it depends on how hardcore you go with a few of your parts (K20 vs. K20R) and as well if you got mad hook-ups in the industry...

:werd: on avg it should be about 10. it's pricey, but as far as the numbers go:

B vs K by C_A_T @ Hybrid-Racing

You have to ask yourself what your goals are. While the K is not fully developed yet, for a street motor it already surpasses 99% of the B-series stuff running around out there.

I see a lot of guys with borderline "streetable" B-series engines running 2.0-2.1 liters with sleeved blocks, 13:1 compression, big cams, etc. They usually end up putting down somewhere between 240 and 260 whp on my dyno. Very respectable numbers. In comparison, take a standard K20A2 out of an RSX. Bolt on a Comptech Race header, CAI and exhaust of your choice. Add a set of JDM ITR cams, some good valve springs, an over bored TB and a Hondata reflash. You're now looking at 235-245 whp consistently without touching the bottom end or head. You've got a more reliable motor (near OEM reliability), a broader torque curve (I-VTEC) and frankly, with a catalytic, you can still pass emissions, even a visual in Cali. And we've already seen what a little more compression (12:1) and bigger cams can do - 265 whp on 91 octane.

I guess the point is, the K-series today (in its early stages of tune) is already the equal of a fully developed B-series street motor. And you can get that equality with virtually no mechanical skill/knowledge. Just bolt on and go. As development proceeds (heads, cams, etc.) that power will come up substantially and eclipse the B-series.

So, where do you want to be? Near the end of a great engine's development cycle (b-series) or at the beginning of a new era with an engine that already equals its illustrious predecessor?
C_A_T

although 10 grand seems unjustifiable, i chose the K over a B because i personally think it's worth it. lots of guys are puishing 230 whp in the states without touching internals.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Where did you get the swap done? yourself? a shop?

JordanEG6
11-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Where did you get the swap done? yourself? a shop?

i did it and it took forever...it's hard to get local help because no one has done it other than STRD. but i got lots of useful advice from various people on the forum and on the internet.

EK 2.0
11-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
but i got lots of useful advice from various people on the forum and on the internet.

I helped...a little haha...