PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping problem

msommers
11-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I've been noticing lately that my sleeping position, on my stomach 90% of the time, is starting to give me lower back aches. I wake up feeling like I have arched my back all night. I've tried to sort of box my self in with pillows but I end up with no pillows at all and me on my stomach again in the morning. I don't think it's the mattress as I've slept on both hard and soft and neither seem to make a difference. Anyone have any good corrective measure?

JWL
11-22-2006, 12:07 AM
It's cuz your spine isn't aligned. Your back arches (concaves) and it doesn't have the support it needs. Maybe put a pillow where you belly is?! Then again, I don't think it's a long term solution. The best way it to sleep on your back with a pillow under your knees or on your side with a pillow between your knees.

justincalgary
11-22-2006, 11:59 AM
have you recently put on weight? 65% of your weight is from sternum to mid thigh, so if you are sleeping on your stomach and have recenlty put on weight, then you will be sinking more in the midsection causing alot more lower back tension.....hence the lower back pain.

djayz
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
i used to sleep on my stomach alot and then i started having neck pains and back pains.

i just use really fluffly pillows so if i slept on my stomach i wouldnt be able to breath because my head would just sink into the pillows. after a few months i was sleeping on my sides and back and the neck pains are gone.

nos_efx
11-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I think ending up on your stomach in the mornings is an indication that you are stressed with something. Perhaps change up your routine before you go to bed so you are more relaxed.

Supa Dexta
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
I can't sleep on my back for long, I snore and sometimes grind me teeth for some reason in that position... And my gf says sometimes I put my legs up for an hour or 2.. haha.. Like in a triangle, as if I were about to do sit ups.. She always just pushes me over, and I never even notice

teggypimp95
11-22-2006, 01:04 PM
All chiropractors say sleeping on your tummy is the worst thing for your spine and can cause alot of damage in the long run, not to mention day to day lower back pain, trying getting a memory foam matress toppers, they provide alot of support and mabye make you want to stay on your side or back.

msommers
11-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advice thus far guys. I tried the pillow thing and honestly felt more rested but still had a bit of back pain this morning, I guess 1/2 ain't bad so far.

nos_efx, where have you read that? I'd be interested in taking a deeper look.

justincalgary
11-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by nos_efx
I think ending up on your stomach in the mornings is an indication that you are stressed with something. Perhaps change up your routine before you go to bed so you are more relaxed.

Typically the position that you awake in, is the position that you got your deepest sleep....REM sleep

hussein
11-23-2006, 01:19 AM
HMmm, how do you fall asleep on your back, I usually find I fall asleep faster on my stomach than on my back, because my thoughts are more limited.

JAYMEZ
11-23-2006, 07:35 AM
I used to have the same problem , put a pillow under your legs and knees and it might take some stress off your back and you can sleep more comfortably.

Though.... my back hurt because my spine was messed up!

msommers
11-23-2006, 12:00 PM
well I tried something else last night and it worked wonderfully. I actually slept diagonally on my bed, no idea why the hell this made any difference but I ended up staying on my back the whole night, well assuming because I fell asleep there and woke up in the same position.