PDA

View Full Version : Redlyne Test Drive: Lexus LS460

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2006, 01:17 AM
So had an opportunity to go for a test drive in the 07 LS460, figured Id post a few quick words and opinions.

Appearance: It's a very classy and sharp looking car, it's not plain and boring like the old LS. One thing I dont like about it though is that it looks like GS and the IS. Toyota seems to have gone in the direction of designing all their cars to look the same. The new corolla will look like a small Camry, the new camry looks like a small Avalon and this doesnt change in the Lexus lineup.

Performance: The new 4.6L 380hp is leaps and bounds ahead of the old 4.3. It has a nice raspy exhaust note and pulls very very nicely. The 8 speed tranny is so smooth to the point where you can barely feel the shift points. Hit the brakes hard and the car stops nicely, it doesnt feel like the heavy car that it is. Switch the suspension to sport mode and you can actually feel a difference, the car is nice and stiff through the corners and feels fairly neutral considering all the weight at the front of the car.

Interior: The interior on this car is amazing, from the incredible wood accents on the dash to the supple leather, this is the finest interior Ive ever seen for a car in this price range. The gauge cluster has soo many readouts and features, their are inteior lights all over the place and little storage compartments everywhere. The seats are heated and cooled and there is quad climate control that actually works unlike many seperate climate control systems. In the backseats its total luxury, the only other sedan that Ive ever sat in that outdoes the LS is the Maybach. The rear seats recline with an ottoman that pops up. The rear interior reading lights are led and look like mini HID. The center console in the middle is crazy, it looks like some mission control pad. It has digital readouts for climate, dvd navigation etc. From the ceiling folds out a 9 inch monitor. On this monitor you can see what the driver sees on the front monitor, reverse cameras, park cameras, navigation etc. The car comes with 2 remotes, one for the dvd screen and the other for the seats which heat, cool and or give you massages. There is also a cooler that folds out just like the previous LS. The rear windows are also pretty pimp because there are sun shades that fold out electronically. All I can say is the interior is unreal.

Selfpark feature: I posted a seperate review on this because its one of the craziest features on the car. The self park is very very easy to use, there is an outline on the screen that shows you where the car is going to go. You do need to control the speed of the car while you are parking and should you go to fast the car requires you to slow down. The feature is cool and a good way to save your rims from being curbed but it is slow and not the best option if youre good at parallel parking. I could see cars honking at you while people wait for you to park your car on 17th ave.

Rating
Looks: 8
Performance: 9
Luxury amenities: 9
Quality: 9
Price: 9
Service: 10

Total 54/60

Overall the car is amazing. It has surpassed anything in its competition. It has pretty much made the new S Class and 7 series obsolete. What the car does miss is character and originality but it still looks very very nice. I gave it a 9 for performance because I think that cars such as these should be in the 400hp area although 380 is nothing to yawn about. As for luxury amenities it pretty much has everything you need other than an entertainment system that allows you to upload info, music etc and there are no skylights. As for quality, the fit and finish is incredible but its not good enough to be 10 like the wood and metal in the db9. As for price, well there isnt any other car ont he market with this many features for the money although it would be nice to see it as cheap as the old LS. As for Service, well there is no dealer in Calgary that even comes close to offering the same service as Lexus of Calgary so for this they gain 10 points. Bottomline, this car kicks ass!

CRXguy
11-22-2006, 01:20 AM
I'd pimp the LS, if I was 40+. haha

It does look really sharp though. I probably wouldn't mind living in it either.

Zephyr
11-22-2006, 02:13 AM
I have a few neighbors with them already, such a nice car. I went to go see it on release day. Too bad it doesn't really fit with a younger driver, then again, I rather be driven in it hehe. Lexus has done a very good job with this car for a much cheaper price compared to the other cars in it's class (S class and 7 series). Lexus is really doing very well, ever since the new GS, IS, ES, the LS is just totally wow.

Gondi Stylez
11-22-2006, 02:18 AM
this car is freakin awesome!:love:

Annoyingrob
11-22-2006, 06:51 AM
I still can't get over the 8-speed

rc2002
11-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Were you thinking of buying one of these? Or was this one of those "fun" test drives? :) I feel guilty when I go and test drive a car when I don't mean to buy it. Hehe.

shadowz
11-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I would rock one of these anyday. nothing better than being pampered :)

Phuqu
11-22-2006, 02:10 PM
How would you rate this car in a crash test against a stack of water barrels?:D