PDA

View Full Version : mounting and unmounting winter tires

HiSpec
11-22-2006, 02:46 AM
I have heard that mounting and unmounting winter tires between seasons is bad for the tire's structure.

Is this true??

rc2002
11-22-2006, 08:37 AM
A lot of people will tell you it isn't. But if you've ever changed out a tire yourself before, you'll see how much stress is put on the sidewalls in the process.

I find that unmounting/mounting repeatedly is just asking for leaky tires. The bead seal is a big problem area after it's been stretched so many times.

tirebob
11-22-2006, 09:30 AM
No matter how good the machine or the person using it, it does put stress on the bead areas. You are forcing on and off a smaller bead area over a larger rim lip, so damage can occur, and if if it does, bead leaks develop and corrosion can take its toll...

get a cheap set of winter rims and you will far better protect your investment, and it generally is less expensive in the long run as the cost of bolting on a mounted package (if you don't do it yourself) is a lot less expensive than paying for change overs every season. Sometimes to the tune of saving between $120.00 to $200.00 per year (sping and fall c/o costs), so cheaper winter rims quickly pay for themselves...

Companies such as ours will even do your spring/fall changeovers for free every season if you buy as a complete winter wheel/tire package instead of just tires only...

hjr
11-22-2006, 09:30 AM
not really. tires generally last only a few (up to 3) seasons so its not a big issue imo. The problem comes with older tires where the rubber is beginning to or is degraded. they dont put up with lots of mounting/unmounting as well. the real issue is that if you get a set of steelies its in the long run probably cheaper vs paying to get tires mounted twice a year. - yes i have mounted tires before...

tirebob
11-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by hjr
not really. tires generally last only a few (up to 3) seasons so its not a big issue imo. The problem comes with older tires where the rubber is beginning to or is degraded. they dont put up with lots of mounting/unmounting as well. the real issue is that if you get a set of steelies its in the long run probably cheaper vs paying to get tires mounted twice a year. - yes i have mounted tires before... Not always true that it is just with older tires... Yes, older tires cause issues, but a lot of the new bead bundles being used today are tighter, stonger and less flexible than in days past, and it it easier to damage than the older style. It is better for handling and structural stability, but makes the tire guys job a bit more difficult...

Also, there are so many people with 2 or more vehicles these days, so many vehicles don't see the mileage they used to. I would say that over half of my customers are getting 4 to 5 years easily out of their winter tires, so the expense and risk of damage does become a reality.

Again, not saying you will damage your tires every time you take them on and off, but it makes a lot more sense to spend money (and actually save money) on winter rims than to take the risk and expense of changeovers every season.

Now of course if you are only going to have your car 1 or 2 seasons before you sell it or turn it back in etc, than the cost of changeovers actually becomes more effective...

david_bmx
11-23-2006, 08:42 PM
i worked in a tire shop, it mostly depends if you lube the tires... but streching is not a big isu... I dont think it hurts em..

Hoey
11-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Age of the tire is a huge issue, but id say dont worry about it at all. If tires lasted 20 seasons Id say yes get winter rims, but they only last 3-4. Proper lubing and mounting will make a bead seat, double airing is a plus too. Winter tires are a different rubber compound than summer, they are very soft, and with lube you will not wreck a tire if you know what your doing.

CMSbob is right about it could come to cheaper and its definately easier to get winter rims, but I wouldnt get winter rims for the tires safety sake.

There isnt too much side-wall stress if you mount properly (tire sized can effect this)

"Lube is a Tiremans Best-friend" - Truth.

Dont worry about your tires, but get winter rims to make the fall/spring swap easy.

-oh and yeah I did tires too.

Seanith
11-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob

get a cheap set of winter rims and you will far better protect your investment, and it generally is less expensive in the long run as the cost of bolting on a mounted package (if you don't do it yourself) is a lot less expensive than paying for change overs every season. Sometimes to the tune of saving between $120.00 to $200.00 per year (sping and fall c/o costs), so cheaper winter rims quickly pay for themselves...

:werd:

Having a seperate set of rims and tires for summer and winter is awesome. you can put them on once you need to, not pay to get them mounted unmounted etc.

Moe Man
11-24-2006, 12:07 AM
not a big concern, unless you have the old style blizzaks then i woundnt worrie, 99.9 % of the time your tires will wear out before your beads rip.

tuner5
12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Its so much better to just hook up some steelies or something!