PDA

View Full Version : Blockheaters

Cypresskilla
11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Can a block crack, even if the blockheaters plugged in???

Tik-Tok
11-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I suppose it's possible, but for a block to crack without the engine running is odd, it would have to be very weak in the first place.

Supa Dexta
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
It could be possible, there would have to be water freeze though somewares further from where the heat reaches (bad anti freeze?, or even water pooling outside the engine)..

It could also be possible that if the block was cold and then plugged in, it could have cracked while it expanded (if the crack is near where the heater is)... It would have to be weak though for that to happen I would think....

Graham_A_M
11-22-2006, 11:02 PM
A block heater won't stop your block from cracking, if your running VERY weak fluid in your engine, or even pure water. If it gets cold enough;the 1400 watts block heater can't keep your WHOLE engine warm enough (ESPECIALLY your rad and hoses) to keep from freezing. You'll always need decent coolant/anti-freeze, no matter how strong your block-heater is. The engine staying warm is one thing, but there are no heating systems to keep your hoses from freezing up or ice forming in your rad; thus bursting it.

(I know from experience from not properly winterizing my street bike):banghead:

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Get an inline coolant heater :thumbsup: