PDA

View Full Version : Question for you body guys

black_radiation
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
So in january im going to be picking up a 1991 skyline, now im going full tilt with this project and ripping it apart the first week i get it to be sent out for paint, i have a painter who's amazing, but charges an arm and a leg and i can do all the prep myself (done a few fiberglasses enclosures in my day ;)) so the body works not the problem i was just wondering about the windows, should i remove them for the process? i want a quality job, im even going as far as removing the entire engine, etc so they can do the engine bay. what would be my best thing to do in order to have ready for primer then 3 stage metal flake paint?

Phuqu
11-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Remove the windows.

This will prevent any paint bridging on the mouldings.

rc2002
11-24-2006, 08:24 AM
:werd: That's one of the biggest signs that a car's been repainted.

403Gemini
11-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Take pics before and after :) cant wait to see the progress and good luck with the project!

legendboy
11-24-2006, 02:34 PM
+1 for removing all glass, door handles, mirrors...etc...

just be careful when removing glass mouldings. i imagine new mouldings for a 91 skyline are fairly hard to get, and would be extremely expensive (prob 1k+ for all glass mouldings!)

but if you do this, and your painter is good your car will look mint

black_radiation
11-24-2006, 06:06 PM
by mouldings do you mean seals? is there any way i can save both, or have a window place remove my windows for me? i know that you can either save the window or save the seal which would be better to do?

black_radiation
11-25-2006, 09:50 AM
nobody?

Phuqu
11-25-2006, 01:53 PM
We have a glass guy come in and remove and install windows .

Most windows won't need any seals replaced.

I can PM you the number when I get to the shop.

black_radiation
11-26-2006, 09:16 PM
sweet dude thanks, make my life alot easier lol, wut would you charge for a full paint (just spraying) if the primer is done and all the body work is done for something either with a very small flake in it or even just a deep paint maybe a few extra layers of clear to give it the illusion of deep paint? for a nissan skyline coupe sorry guess that helps lol, dont need the hood or the trunk done

black_radiation
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
pm'd you phuqu, u still got that number for the glass guy? and i still need to come see you about my truck here in a week or 2 :)