PDA

View Full Version : Chopsticks or Fork?

waypastfast
11-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Just wondering what eveyones weapon of choice is when eating there Vietnamese or chinese food? I am definitely a CHOPSTICK guy!!

Vietsta
11-25-2006, 01:27 AM
i use both, i don't really care haha as long as i can eat

hampstor
11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
depends... if it's on a plate, then a fork, if it's in a bowl, then chopsticks.

jcrules99
11-25-2006, 01:59 AM
well if i am eating chinese/viet food i use chopsticks, other than that fork FTW
its embarassing when the waiter/waiteress brings you a fork anyways.. hahaha its like BITCH i know how to use chopsticks

A2VR6
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Chopsticks mainly... unless if it's something like rice on a plate.

Speed_69
11-25-2006, 05:34 AM
chopsticks for me..maybe because i'm chinese :dunno: haha

ercchry
11-25-2006, 05:43 AM
chopsticks ftw. with sushi also why would it just be for thoughs 2? come on japanese is the asian food of choice for me, chinese is a close second though... well maybe not close

EK 2.0
11-25-2006, 09:39 AM
pfffft chopsticks...

real men use they handz playaz:D

dino_martini
11-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Fork because Im white

Rav4Guy
11-25-2006, 10:41 AM
^ I'm guessing that'll be the consensus... either that or using a pair of chopsticks improperly.

I use chopsticks for almost everything.... and the exceptions would be for the obvious. (cereal, steak, spaghetti etc.)

hampstor
11-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
^ I'm guessing that'll be the consensus... either that or using a pair of chopsticks improperly.

I use chopsticks for almost everything.... and the exceptions would be for the obvious. (cereal, steak, spaghetti etc.)

the only time I use chopstocks other then eating asian food to is cook bacon. Chopsticks > fork when cooking bacon! Especially if you get the super long chopsticks used for cooking.

HRD2PLZ
11-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Using a fork to eat asian foods is sacrilegious imo. Chopsticks FTW :thumbsup:

Sprinter
11-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

:werd: X4

nothing worse than eating rice on a plate with chopsticks

Cruz
11-25-2006, 11:58 AM
So what does everyone use for catching flies?

Kaos
11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
pfffft chopsticks...

real men use they handz playaz:D

No, thats just Philipino's. :D

Chopsticks.....

frozenrice
11-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Authentic Asian food = chopsticks.
Westernized (ie ; buffet) = fork.

What is it with some white people who use chopsticks at a buffet anyways? Is it some sort of JDM novelty? If a white guy drives an Asian import does it mean he drives on the left side of the road too?

Drew
11-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Chopsticks, especially for salads, i hate eating salad with a fork cause sometimes its hard to "stab" leaves...

nonlinear
11-25-2006, 02:07 PM
are you guys talking about wood or plastic chopsticks?

if wood, aspen or bamboo?

:nut:

EDIT: wow, i guess they even have metal ones with flat ends in korea... who woulda thunk it?

izzoblitzo
11-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Gotta pay homage to the homeland.. OG chopsticks!

haha:D

FiveFreshFish
11-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy

Eating spaghetti with chopsticks isn't different from eating noodles except for the sauce. :dunno:

herragge
11-25-2006, 06:04 PM

Yeah its hard to eat rice on a plate with the sticks.

Screw the wood chopsticks, get the metal ones! You know when you are OG when you are shoveling it down with those.

I've never been given a fork in a chinese restaurant. Wait a minute...thats probably because i'm Asian...

Mike

GQBalla
11-25-2006, 06:51 PM
depnds on what im eating - anything asian and there is chopsticks i will use the - if i had a choice chopsticks ahahha

EK 2.0
11-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I have a question for all the Asians in this thread...

Being raised in an East Indian cultured home...I was inherently taught to eat using my hands...And thusly eat a lot of "western" food with my hands as well. Aside from if I am in a non East Indian restaurant, or proper etiquette is to be followed.

My question is this...were you all taught to solely eat using chopsticks or was it just use what is easier to use for that meal??

izzoblitzo
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
I was taught using a spoon when I was young. But then eventually brought into the world of chopsticks when I was able to learn. When you walk into a Chinese restaurant, they sometimes have both (or a fork will be issued upon request).

Im sure if you walked into an East Indian restaurant, Im sure you'd be given an option too, although lots of the foods is really more for eating with your hands anyway. Different cultures, I guess.

Im definately not gonna eat my hamburger with chopsticks.. haha but it'd look funny to go out with your asian friends, and be asian, and only eat with a fork.. :rofl:

Rav4Guy
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
was taught to use a chopstick. No hands. If you used hands, it would've been chopped off a long time ago.

Chinese people always eat chinese food with chopsticks. It's in our blood. It just doesn't feel like your eating chinese food with a fork.

Kritafo
11-28-2006, 10:50 PM
we are all white at our house, and we eat with chopsticks all the time. We taught our kids to use chopsticks at a very young age. My daughter almost gets crazy when they bring her a fork in chinatown. haha! I love the metal chopsticks. We own many different kinds and they are my fav.

Kritafo

ashee
11-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Chopsticks

suen17
11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I wonder who and how somebody came up with the idea for chopsticks. The first time my parents tried to teach me was hell - so who in their right minds would have tried over and over again to pick up things with sticks before figuring out a nice working method? Maybe it was because you can't eat noodles in soup with your hands... Hmmm

and yes, chopsticks FTW. Except when you have to "pah fan" and make suck your rice in. Kinda unsightly imo.

Melinda
11-28-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm a white girl, so I get brought the forks a lot. They always look shocked when we ask for bowls with chopsticks instead lol. I had to learn, it was very weird going for chinese with rolland's parents and being the only one at the table to ask for a fork. But now if I'm eating asian food, a fork just seems wrong lol.

hjr
11-29-2006, 12:40 AM
i use a spoon

saladonthebeach
11-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Forked for life.

I tried and tried, can't do chopsticks. I even practiced from guides over the net, still didn't help when I grabbed a take-out box of noodles.. forgot the fork and basically shoveled in the food down the hatch with the sticks. I'd make for a bad date with an oriental girl. Hell, I don't even hold a pen right.. never mind chopsticks. lol

KenP
11-29-2006, 12:55 AM
I am white and every time I go to get some Pho or Bun the server brings me a fork.. I feel stupid! Just because I am white doesn't mean I can't use chopsticks haha. But they are just being helpful.

writhen
11-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by saladonthebeach
Forked for life.

I tried and tried, can't do chopsticks. I even practiced from guides over the net, still didn't help when I grabbed a take-out box of noodles.. forgot the fork and basically shoveled in the food down the hatch with the sticks. I'd make for a bad date with an oriental girl. Hell, I don't even hold a pen right.. never mind chopsticks. lol

Exactly my situation. When eating vietnamese I have my fork in the right hand and my soup spoon in my left hand. That was I can pick up some sate beef as well as some broth all at the same time :D :clap:

herragge
11-29-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a question for all the Asians in this thread...

Being raised in an East Indian cultured home...I was inherently taught to eat using my hands...And thusly eat a lot of "western" food with my hands as well. Aside from if I am in a non East Indian restaurant, or proper etiquette is to be followed.

My question is this...were you all taught to solely eat using chopsticks or was it just use what is easier to use for that meal??

Eating with hands=chopsticks over the cranium.

That is all.

Mike

al-ti2d
11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by writhen

Exactly my situation. When eating vietnamese I have my fork in the right hand and my soup spoon in my left hand. That was I can pick up some sate beef as well as some broth all at the same time :D :clap:

hmm.. in my cousin's case, when my uncle was teaching my cousin how to use chopsticks.. everytime he would drop a piece of food with his chopsticks my uncle would slap his hand until he had it all down to a perfection.

Maxt
11-29-2006, 01:54 AM
Chopsticks, for pretty much any kind of food..You just get use to it, and its easier to eat with..

EnRich
11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
well... I'm white, but I have an asian girlfriend. Whenever we go for sushi, or pho, I'll always demand to eat with chopsticks, even though I'm still not used to em. I feel that if your gonna eat asian food, you need to embrace the culture behind it aswell. It just wouldnt feel right to eat asian food without chopsticks, for me it would probably ruin the experiance...

Rich

Envitro
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm all about the chopsticks.... and I'm white...

QuasarCav
11-29-2006, 10:13 AM
I eat my Pho with a fork, and I say FO and not FA.

Rav4Guy
11-29-2006, 10:18 AM
^ he's doing it allllll wrong.

baker_jeff
11-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Chopsticks all the way. The ladies love em!

abyss
11-29-2006, 10:30 AM
fork for a plate, chopsticks for a bowl. I still laugh when we go out and I get handed a fork ,it's like "awww, I've been deemed too white for chopsticks again..."

EK 2.0
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Chopsticks, for pretty much any kind of food..You just get use to it, and its easier to eat with..

See with Maxt's point...and I know he is not "Asian" in appearance...but could probably out Asian a lot of you Asians...haha...I had a few friends growing up that would use chopsticks for EVERYTHING...I mean yeah there were exceptions (pizza, sandwhiches, ice cream).

Just like how growing up I was taught to use my hands for everything. There really were no exceptions. And asking for a fork, or a knife, or spoon would get he "hurt real bad" haha...I mean now yes, soup and salad's and such. But growing up my parents TRIED to keep things so down with the brown. So thats why I had asked my question I guess

Originally posted by abyss
fork for a plate, chopsticks for a bowl. I still laugh when we go out and I get handed a fork ,it's like "awww, I've been deemed too white for chopsticks again..."

You don't only have to be white...I get it too...:cry:

Oz-
11-29-2006, 11:50 AM
My wife is half chinese and half filipina, so for me it has become second nature to use chopsticks with basically everything we eat. Mind you we also use bowls to eat.

And when a fork is needed, then we use a fork and spoon. Unless of course it is big steak, then we replace the spoon for a knife.

topmade
11-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I use whatever is easier to eat with. But for the most part since I am asian, chopsticks are my choice of weapon when eating.

And you don't have to be white to be treated like one. I get that all the time because I speak english but can understand when they talk behind my back in chinese thinking I don't understand, then I go ahead and order in chinese and leave with a 1% tip (leaving a small tip is more insulting then leaving nothing haha)

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

Yup, I had a practical reason to eat finger foods with chopsticks like KFC, fries and chicken wings.

Anyone who worked at a call centre will understand.

toyboy88
11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
at resturants 95% chopsticks, at home when eating chinese = 95% fork LOL

max_boost
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
haha I can't believe we are discussing chopsticks vs fork. It depends what I'm eating.

Asian Food=Chopsticks
Everything else=Fork

HHURICANE1
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Chopsticks except for rice. Just can't get the whole rice thing down. :confused:

Murphy
12-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Fork because Im white :werd:

Indie Dudette
12-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Too used to hands...

but forks are better than chopsticks... guess still havent gotten the hang of the sticks

EK 2.0
12-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Indie Dudette
Too used to hands...

but forks are better than chopsticks... guess still havent gotten the hang of the sticks

we could get together...have some dinner...and I could show you...

Indie Dudette
12-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
Chopsticks except for rice. Just can't get the whole rice thing down. :confused:

sticky rice is wicked

we could get together...have some dinner...and I could show you...

wicked~!
where to?

:D

EK 2.0
12-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Indie Dudette
wicked~!
where to?

:D

Let me take care of all of that...;)

Indie Dudette
12-02-2006, 11:06 PM