PDA

View Full Version : some wheel questions

bksze
05-09-2003, 05:43 PM
lookin to get some wheels on my car . . . now i'm lookin to go for the staggered look while maintaining overall diameter . . . but i don't drive a rwd car, i drive an awd, with that in mind

will having fatter rears affect the quattro system in my car?

second question, to all those with big ass wheels . . . what do you guys think now? i had 18" on my prelude slammed on Tein HA, if I could do it again, I'd probably go with 17" cuz the ride sucked ass . . . some of you out there have 19"s on civics and ludes, would you go smaller if given the choice? or bigger?

i'm thinking of going 18s on my s4, just to preserve ride quality

let me know

04blackMAX
05-09-2003, 06:09 PM
on an s4...if your going more for looks go 19's, if you wanna stay speedy, do a light 18

three.eighteen.
05-09-2003, 06:13 PM
im thinking running staggered tires will seriously mess up your handling...

4wheeldrift
05-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
im thinking running staggered tires will seriously mess up your handling... Never mind the difference in traction could seriously screw up the center diff in your car.

bksze
05-12-2003, 01:54 AM
i was told taht an increase in understeer is to be expected . . . aside from that there should be no other consequences for running a staggered set up . . . anyone with more information on this?

4wheeldrift
05-12-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by bksze
i was told taht an increase in understeer is to be expected . . . aside from that there should be no other consequences for running a staggered set up . . . anyone with more information on this? On a two wheel drive car this is true. On most four wheel drive/all wheel drive cars maintaining the same rolling diameter and traction level at each end of the car is very important. The difference in rolling diameter/traction level can burn out the center differential/transfer case in short order. Some cars are a lot more tolerant of this than others.

kenny
05-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Plain and simple, don't go staggered. Not sure why you would want to go with fatter rears (tires?) tho in a FWD biased awd system.

If you want the wider wheels in the back, you can accomplish the same look with spacers.

Ekliptix
05-12-2003, 07:25 AM
I think Porsche is the only car that comes with different diameter tires in the front and rear.

I say 19's look better then 18's, but ppl say you go slower.

ZorroAMG
05-12-2003, 11:09 AM
He's not talking about diameter, Ekliptix, he means for example 18x8 in front and 18x9.5 in rear.

And FWIW, the diameter on Porsches Front to rear is the same.

NSX and Prowler are different though

DUBBED
05-12-2003, 11:26 AM
i think corvettes as well have bigger on the the back than on the front...

anway... go with 18's... 17's will look goofy small with such big wheel wells...

also would you be interested in selling the wheels off the S4... i might have a use for them?

http://www.waterwagens.com/images/2002/02ww148.jpg

ecstasy_civic
05-12-2003, 11:29 AM
g35 coupes also come with larger tires in the rear:thumbsup:

Tuner1
05-12-2003, 02:50 PM
*If* you keep the over all diameter the same the only side effect will be more understeer (hardly your main concern if you bought an S4 ;) ) and losing the ability to rotate the tires from F to R.

Rob

2M6
05-13-2003, 09:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^I agree with Rob, as long as the overal diameter of the tire is the same, you will have no problem with you diff. You can have a wider rear wheel and still be safe as long as you keep the same overall diameter as stated above.

FiveFreshFish
05-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Plain and simple, don't go staggered. Not sure why you would want to go with fatter rears (tires?) tho in a FWD biased awd system.

If you want the wider wheels in the back, you can accomplish the same look with spacers.

The S4 does not have a FWD-biased AWD system.

The Torsen centre diff on the S4 is actually torque-biased slightly to the rear, but the front weight bias of the car overrides it and makes it understeer like a FWD car.

However, that can be remedied with the appropriate suspension upgrades. Click here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23676&FORUM_ID=6&CAT_ID=3&Topic_Title=Videos%3A+19mm+swaybar+on+hard%2E%2E%2E+Snap+oversteer%21&Forum_Title=1%2E+B5+A4) for a couple of videos that show the S4 can be tuned to overcome the understeer. There are two video links in the first post.

VWhooligan
05-13-2003, 10:52 PM
It's been said time and time again, DO NOT go with a staggered setup on a Quattro car. It doesnt work properly and produces horrible handling.

That said, it does look awesome, and there are a few people that do run staggered. Although every single shop and tuner will tell you not to.

This is a picture of my good friend Steve's 99 A4 1.8t Quattro (S4 body kit). He has Brock B1's in 17", 8.5" in the fronts, 10" in the back. Everyone tells him not to do this, but he doesnt care, he's all about looks. Btw, this car is for sale, and for a really good price!

http://www.eurosexmaschine.com/sep28/images/DSCN0172.jpg

See how awesome it looks?

88CRX
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
See how awesome it looks?

I think it looks kinda dumb:thumbsdow

92 Teg-B18A
05-14-2003, 12:05 AM
same here,
what looks good is that sweet dish! :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
05-14-2003, 12:15 AM
I think it looks really stupid actually.

bksze
05-14-2003, 12:27 AM
well to each their own . . . i think it looks a lot meaner when you have fat wide wheels at the back, but i do understand that what i drive is an audi and not a viper . . .

we'll see what i end up with, and i'll post pics then

VWEvo
05-14-2003, 10:16 AM
I've done tonnes of research on this cause I was going to run a staggered setup on my Audi, I'll tell you this with 100% confidence:

DON'T DO IT!!!

It is explained perfectly above, and trust me, if you value your car at all, don't run that setup, you will screw up your diff, and I guarantee it isn't worth the price of the setup.