PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new camera today!

Mitsu3000gt
11-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I finally went out and bought a camera, after ~3months of looking around. I picked up a D80 w/ 18-135 lens. My next lens will likely be the 70-300VR or a macro lens. I still want a walk around lens, which is why I went with the 18-135.

I have much to learn, as I just opened up the camera and took a few snaps of random things - I'm not very good haha.

I bought it at london drugs, because they have 15 day return policy (incase I want to change the lens to the 18-70) and 30 day price protection. Also, I got them to match the camera store's $1419 price so I'm confident I paid a fair price.

I just need to find a 4 gig SD card and I can buy them online for $64 which are 150X, 20mb/sec. I will order one tonight. Then, I need to go buy a camera bag.

Unfortunately the weather is just shit, but I can't wait to take it outside for some pics when it warms up.

I'd like to thank everyone on here for helping me come to my decision, you guys shared alot of information that I found to be valuable when making my final decision. I really appreciated it.

achca
11-25-2006, 07:44 PM
congratulations on that great camera and lens.
make sure you take some pics and share with us.

btw. are you looking for camera bag? I got some for sell. pm me for more info.

muse017
11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Great camera!!
Read the manual at least three times ^^, then you will be a happy man with your camera.
My faviorite lens form nikon is 60mm 2.8 Macro. Oh..and before even get your 70-300mm VR, my recommandation is to get your Flash unit first(SB-600).

D80 + 60 macro + SB 600 = Perfect set up for macro pics!!!!

Mitsu3000gt
11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by muse017
Great camera!!
Read the manual at least three times ^^, then you will be a happy man with your camera.
My faviorite lens form nikon is 60mm 2.8 Macro. Oh..and before even get your 70-300mm VR, my recommandation is to get your Flash unit first(SB-600).

D80 + 60 macro + SB 600 = Perfect set up for macro pics!!!!

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't even considered a flash yet - I had no idea you needed one for macro photography, but it makes sense.

How do you take a close up of something directly below the lens if you need to use a tripod? Is there anything that lets the camera point straight down?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-25-2006, 11:14 PM
^That's a feature of the tripod itself. Mine allows me to invert the center column so I can shoot straight down and from down low.

Honda_002
11-25-2006, 11:17 PM
so you wanna do a photoshoot or what hahah
:D

eb0i
11-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Congrats Mitsu on the great camera! I sure wish I could afford a nice DSLR, it would be a great upgrade from the G6:thumbsup:

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
^That's a feature of the tripod itself. Mine allows me to invert the center column so I can shoot straight down and from down low.

What tripod do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

What tripod do you have (if you don't mind me asking)?

My tripod is a closely guarded secret.

...yeah, right! :rofl:

It's an Amvona 858BL, an inexpensive but quite good Manfrotto knockoff. All-metal construction, and a very strong head. Much, much cheaper than the Manfrotto ones, which is nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PROFESSIONAL-CAMERA-TRIPOD-KIT-BALL-GRIP-HEAD-AT-858BL_W0QQitemZ170051763615QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

muse017
11-26-2006, 12:15 AM
http://blog.paran.com/mycrow

check this guy's blog if you don't mind korean. Just click on whatever pic on his website and see his amazing shots.
I believe his set up is D70s + 60macro + SB600.

seer_claw
11-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Congrats on the camera. A repeat comment but read the manual at least twice. It helps a lot and you will learn how to use the camera a lot better. I had the manual in 1 hand and the camera in the other and I played with the settings as I read about them. Just to see what the camera can do.

Have fun with it and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it. :thumbsup:

TurboMedic
11-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the Nikon club. I went with the 18-70 lens on mine, but just personal preference though. Heed the advice on the flash unit, makes a huge difference on control. Also, for Macro, I prefer the 90-105mm range so you can stay farther away from shy subjects. If you're interested or looking I have my 28-105 Macro (50-105mm macro range) for sale, and its a Nikon lens. Can't wait to see some pics!

Mitsu3000gt
11-26-2006, 02:50 AM

My tripod is a closely guarded secret.

...yeah, right! :rofl:

It's an Amvona 858BL, an inexpensive but quite good Manfrotto knockoff. All-metal construction, and a very strong head. Much, much cheaper than the Manfrotto ones, which is nice.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PROFESSIONAL-CAMERA-TRIPOD-KIT-BALL-GRIP-HEAD-AT-858BL_W0QQitemZ170051763615QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Did you buy yours off e-bay or can they be found in the city for a reasonable price?

raf2379
11-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Congrats on the camera, I too have still lots to learn about my Rescent purchase of the D80. I myself need a nice tripod and a speed light, not to mention a telephoto and a micro lens :P this is starting to be an expansive hobby.

Cant wait to see some of you pics with the new D80.

you guys are suggesting the SB-600 speedlight, what about the SB-800 is it actually worth the extra $200 over the SB-600, just wondering because i was just browsing Nikons website trying to decide on a speedlight.

muse017
11-26-2006, 01:20 PM
SB-800 Is one of the best speed light you can get from the market.
However, if you are a beginner and still have lots to learn, then SB-600 should do the job for you.

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I went to the camera store today, it looks like a really good place. They have outstanding prices on their lenses too. I put my name down for the 70-300VR, it will be only $589. I figure that is a bargain. Also, I picked up a Lowepro Slingshot 200 Camera bag and I love it. It's the perfect size for a camera and lenses and still lets you carry other stuff too like some snacks.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm glad you're having fun with your new stuff! TCS is a great place for camera enthusiasts, except I have this terrible habit of aways buying something when I go in there.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Did you buy yours off e-bay or can they be found in the city for a reasonable price?

I got it from ebay, nobody carries them locally. I think I paid $45 for the tripod/head and the (gargantuan) 1633 backpack, plus shipping.

msommers
11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I got it from ebay, nobody carries them locally. I think I paid $45 for the tripod/head and the (gargantuan) 1633 backpack, plus shipping.

:eek: That is insane! I think I paid 250 for my manfrotto and ball head and about another 100 for my lowepro sling bag. Nice find! Ebay stuff is so hit and miss, but when u hit, holy crap what a deal.

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Did some looking around, some online, some at The Camera Store, and I picked up one of those AT-858BL tri pods for $65 on E-Bay. The bid history has them going from $45 - $115 with the vast majority of them going from $60-$70 US so I'm happy. I'm sure if I bid on a new one every day I'd of eventually gotten one for $45 or $50 but I don't really care. It doesn't ship for 5-7 days and I wanted it for the holidays.

Even at The Camera Store, it would have been $164 for the tripod, and $80 for the head, and the tripod didn't even look as good as the E-bay one.

Thanks for pointing me to this one Berserker, even after looking around this one looks like EASILY the best value, and I wouldn't of known about it without your link. Every single one of the customer reviews on it is positve, and each one says they can't believe the quality, so it should be just fine for a beginner like myself.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
No problem, I've been extremely pleased with the tripod I ordered, and the bag as well. It's big and solid! It's a bit on the heavy side, but I like heavy tripods for extra stability in the wind.

raf2379
11-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm just bidding on one right now as well, thanks for sharing the link. it looks like a great tripod.

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by raf2379
I'm just bidding on one right now as well, thanks for sharing the link. it looks like a great tripod.

Just so you know, it cost me $40US to ship to calgary, which is pretty steep, but it STILL is over $100 cheaper than buying one in the city. My total to-my-door cost is $120 CDN. I'm sure they can be had for cheaper if your patient, but I am not :D

C4S
11-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Remember to put the 10.5mm fish eye lens on your wish list!!! :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by C4S
Remember to put the 10.5mm fish eye lens on your wish list!!! :thumbsup:

That's been on my list for a while now! I used to be under the impression that fisheyes were one-trick-ponies, but this Nikonians thread changed my view on them:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/19234.html

C4S
11-29-2006, 01:29 PM
That is awesome lens!

That is why .. I still use my Nikon gears ..

Once I can make time to buy the 5D .. I will get the Canon fisheye .. and fully Canon... and will sell the nikon one :dunno:

I still somehow .. find Nikon wide angle lens are better ..

BerserkerCatSplat
11-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Once I can make time to buy the 5D .. I will get the Canon fisheye .. and fully Canon... and will sell the nikon one :dunno:

I still somehow .. find Nikon wide angle lens are better ..

Awww, don't sell your Nikon gear! You know that as soon as you do, Nikon will come out with something awesome that you'll want badly! (I'm hoping for a redone 6mm F2.8 fisheye, but we can always dream...)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/fisheyes/6mmf28.htm

Anyway, I didn't know you had Nikon gear, I thought you were straight Canon. What equipment to you use?

Obscura
11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I've seen that lens (the 6mm) it's crazy sharp and crazy huge... like the article says about 6kg.

It would kinda suck on a DSLR with a smaller sensor because you would have that focal length conversion. where it's a circular fisheye it would look odd with the crop. It would be effectivly the same as the 10/5 only cost waaaay more and be useless to lug around.
I wonder if it would work on most new cameras where it needs the mirror locked up to use. I know that DSLR's have mirror lock up but it may still hit inside.

My 8mm circular fisheye (rip :cry: ) only worked on some bodies as well due to the rear element hitting the mirror.

Congrates on the D80 purchase, cool little camera.

Pihsiak
11-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Awww, don't sell your Nikon gear! You know that as soon as you do, Nikon will come out with something awesome that you'll want badly! (I'm hoping for a redone 6mm F2.8 fisheye, but we can always dream...)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/fisheyes/6mmf28.htm

Anyway, I didn't know you had Nikon gear, I thought you were straight Canon. What equipment to you use?

God... where can I get a replacement lens cap for that beast?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Obscura
I've seen that lens (the 6mm) it's crazy sharp and crazy huge... like the article says about 6kg.

It would kinda suck on a DSLR with a smaller sensor because you would have that focal length conversion. where it's a circular fisheye it would look odd with the crop. It would be effectivly the same as the 10/5 only cost waaaay more and be useless to lug around.
I wonder if it would work on most new cameras where it needs the mirror locked up to use. I know that DSLR's have mirror lock up but it may still hit inside.

My 8mm circular fisheye (rip :cry: ) only worked on some bodies as well due to the rear element hitting the mirror.

Yeah, the 6mm wouldn't work well on a crop sensor without some serious work. A guy made a multi-stage adapter to mount his 6mm F5.6 on his D1, which effectively eliminated the crop factor. The 8mm had a huge protrusion for sure, I'm not sure if MLU would help that or not.

Sad to hear about your 8mm...

Here's the D1 adapter:

http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/Photo/wide/fish/adapter.jpg

http://www.nearfield.com/~dan/Photo/wide/fish/

Obscura
11-29-2006, 03:48 PM
OMG what is that ^^^^

looks like a 50mm f1.4 with a 85mm f2 reverse mounted on it and then a whack of extension tubes, another reversing ring and the 6mm

:dunno: I think I'd rather use the lens on an F3 HP or an F5 and scan my negs rather than go to all that work or using that contraption.

I wonder what the light loss is on using all of that...

Obscura
11-29-2006, 03:50 PM
:banghead: guess I should have clicked on the link first... all my questions would have been answered...lol

Mitsu3000gt
12-13-2006, 12:15 AM
I got my tripod today (as Berzerker has listed above). All I can say is wow. This is built like no tripod I have ever seen, it is SOLID. Everything functions perfectly and the quality/build is outstanding. This is one of the best $100 ive ever spent, and if I was more patient, I'm sure I could of had it for cheaper yet!

Thanks again for the reccomendation!

Obscura
12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
I picked up a D80 myself last week. West jet ruined one D70 body so I needed an new body. I was quite impressed with the D80, mine works well. I was hoping to do some night photography during the full moon but never made it out.

The Camera Store had a good deal where you got a free Nikon battery with any DSLR purchase so I bought it there.

It's too bad they were out of D200's I had to go to Vistek to get one the other day. Vistek gave me a better price than TCS and gave me the free extra battery

:thumbsup:

TurboMedic
12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I got my tripod today (as Berzerker has listed above). All I can say is wow. This is built like no tripod I have ever seen, it is SOLID. Everything functions perfectly and the quality/build is outstanding. This is one of the best $100 ive ever spent, and if I was more patient, I'm sure I could of had it for cheaper yet!

Thanks again for the reccomendation!

What model #? I need a new one ASAP, so I may look that route....

Mitsu3000gt
12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Its this exact one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROFESSIONAL-CAMERA-TRIPOD-KIT-BALL-GRIP-HEAD-AT-828BL_W0QQitemZ170058463058QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is an auction or 2 on one every day, they go everywhere from $40-$75 USD. I paid $60 for mine and then $40 shipping (all USD). I am also impatient :) Shipping was also WAY shorter than their ad suggests. It took about a week.

You are more than welcome to come over and check out the tripod if you like so you know exactly what your getting.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Also look for the ones that are a tripod & backpack kit, with the 1633 pack. It's the same tripod and griphead, but with a huge-assed camera backpack thrown in. They tend to get ignored, I got mine for $45 plus shipping.

D'zNuts can vouch for the size of it, as he's got one of the backpacks as well. It's got more space than I have equipment.

Edit: Here's one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PHOTO-VIDEO-BACKPACK-AND-CAMERA-TRIPOD-AT858-1633_W0QQitemZ170058403629QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

$30 with an hour and bit left to go.

Mitsu3000gt
12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Also look for the ones that are a tripod & backpack kit, with the 1633 pack. It's the same tripod and griphead, but with a huge-assed camera backpack thrown in. They tend to get ignored, I got mine for $45 plus shipping.

D'zNuts can vouch for the size of it, as he's got one of the backpacks as well. It's got more space than I have equipment.

Edit: Here's one.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PHOTO-VIDEO-BACKPACK-AND-CAMERA-TRIPOD-AT858-1633_W0QQitemZ170058403629QQihZ007QQcategoryZ30094QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

$30 with an hour and bit left to go.

Aww god damnit lol. This is way cheaper, and the backpack is way better than the "carry case" i got with mine. Oh well, the tripod is what I was after (even though it's the same)

Turbo medic - for sure buy the one as per the link berzerker sent, not my link.