PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for fitness during the week?

Mar
11-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I go snowboarding every weekend and by about 2:30pm I'm exhausted. Like I want to lie down in the snow and go to sleep, I mean blackout exhausted. I don't like to put synthetic drugs in my body so energy concoctions are out, but I figure if I do some light exercise once or twice during the week it'd probably help me out a little on the mountain. What can I do? I work until 5pm every day and I don't want to get a gym membership just so I can go once a week. I have my hockey skates here but not my full equipment so I can't play that, and the roads are too snowy to jog anywhere. Maybe if I had access to an eliptical or something that I could use for an hour or two a week, that would do it, any suggestions? I ride pretty hard and it's killing me. I'm 25, 5'11 and 180 pounds. So I'm not really overweight, just real out of shape.

WWJAI
11-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Just buy a set of weights and a flat bench and do a few exercises with them. Then just work out different parts of your body each day..like shoulders one day, chest one day, back, etc. Might as well build some muscle since its not beach season.

As for any cardio, if you don't have any machine at home, I know some ppl who just run around in a circle constantly for a good 20 minutes. I don't know how they do it because i've tried it once and couldn't stand it and its extremely boring even listening to music. I find I only have the motivation to work out/ do cardio when I go to the gym. Much better environment to keep you motivated.

mdeleon
11-26-2006, 08:59 AM
IMO, exercise gets/keeps you in shape while proper diet and vitamins is what keeps you energized to be able to go to the gym to get/stay in shape. you can work out all you want but without the proper nutrition, you're gonna be tired as fuck after every workout/cardio/sports. search for what a good diet should be and for a good multi-vitamin

djayz
11-26-2006, 09:17 AM
eat well and frequently. Having 3 meals a day and a snack does not keep you energized but having 3 main meals in a day and 4-5 snacks a day helps.

Instead of trying to work your body harder to keep energized try resting it more. You say you work to 5pm what time do you start?
when you go snowboarding do you go at 9 in the morning and board until 2:30pm straight?

Theres alot of unknowns give us times and what you do in that time ...might help us know why your getting so tired.

Mar
11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by djayz
eat well and frequently. Having 3 meals a day and a snack does not keep you energized but having 3 main meals in a day and 4-5 snacks a day helps.

Instead of trying to work your body harder to keep energized try resting it more. You say you work to 5pm what time do you start?
when you go snowboarding do you go at 9 in the morning and board until 2:30pm straight?

Theres alot of unknowns give us times and what you do in that time ...might help us know why your getting so tired.

I work 9-5, or pretty much any 8 hour stretch I want during the day. But usually it's 9-5. And when snowboarding, I get up at 7am, start riding at 9am and ride right through to 4pm. Or try to. Of course with a Corona and lunch at noon, sure that doesn't help.

no_joke
11-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Go to the gym and get a day pass. From you original post, it sounds like you don't want to do anything outside (or can't) and you don't want to get a gym pass for one day a week. But what else is there? Someone suggested getting weights but I don't think buying fitness equipment has ever changed anyone's habits. Like getting that equipment will just save you a trip to the gym. If you're not going already, then that bench/stationary bike in the basement won't make a difference.

Sorry for being a downer, dude... Just watch what you eat like someone else said. Don't eat too much crap (candy, chips, pop, fried food). Even if you don't gain weight it doesn't do you any favours. Get a good night's sleep before you head out.

calgarygts
11-27-2006, 10:52 AM
You gotta do some endurance work, I had the same problem at the start of the riding season last year. Go to the oval at the university and do the stairs there...up one run to the next one and down and just keep on going. Make up whatever workouts seem best to you. Or just run on the track. A couple of times a week will do wonders at the end of the day at the hill.

khtm
11-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Get a skipping rope. $4 at WalMart.

Done and done.

qrankz
11-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Eat properly and follow a good diet. It's what keeps your metabolism "awake". Always eat breakfast because that "jump starts" your metabolism. For exercise, go to Walmart and get the skipping rope like khtm said or get an exercise ball. Look online for exercises you can do.