PDA

View Full Version : Smart Phones

sexualbanana
11-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm looking at buying a smart phone and was just wondering what you guys think is a good phone?

I'm currently with Rogers right now, and I've been looking at a Palm Treo 650. I don't really know why I like that phone so much but I'm looking for comparisons between that and a couple Blackberry models from people who have used them. I'm not looking to spend too much, but at the same time I'm not going to cheap out on it since I plan on having this phone for years.

Slashin_
11-27-2006, 02:54 AM
gsmarena.com they have review on phones

anarchy
11-27-2006, 03:50 AM
I have a Treo 650 and I love it. However, if you are looking at getting a Treo with Rogers, rumor is that the Treo 800 should be coming out sometime in December/January, so if you can, try and hold out a bit.

As for comparing Treo to Blackberry, do some research online and you'll find lots of arguments for both, but the consensus seems to be that the Treo is more of a consumer-friendly phone and personally I think it looks better. Whereas the Blackberry's are more business-oriented and has far superior functions such as push email. At least that's what I remember reading.

I'm getting a Blackberry Pearl soon(abused 650 too much and it's now discontinued) so I'll let you know how that compares.

redline
11-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I have heard rumours of a windows treo on Rogers in that time frame but not an 800 :dunno: it should be a 700 or 750

I have a 650 and it is a very good phone. the phone part on blackberries are terrible and they have a high failure rate. For the email stuff we have something similar to the blackberry software. But the Rogers mymail is pretty good solution for one person to get email on a phone.

At work we are moving away from blackberries and are using treos cause they are much better.

sexualbanana
11-27-2006, 06:20 PM
From what I've read so far, the 700w is the first Treo to use Windows Mobile. And the newest Treo to come out is going to be the 750w.

I'm interested in getting a Treo with Windows Mobile, and it would be safe to assume that the 750w is going to be pretty pricey when it releases. But I seem to be having trouble finding a 700w in Canada.

anarchy
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
When I spoke with the Rogers representatives, they told me they are skipping the 700 versions all together and going straight to 800.

And the 700 is already out for Telus and it has Windows on it.

likwid
11-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I was on Rogers, but found their PDA's all over-priced and not too great, so I switched to Telus and picked up a UT-Starcom 6700 and I love it!

anarchy
11-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Just an update,
I picked up my Blackberry Pearl yesterday and I'm loving it so far. It's very small and compact which is convenient, and it is visually appealing, physically and graphically. It processes quick as well and there are a lot of perks to it (ex. sensor that changes your lcd's brightness according to your lighting environment).

The only thing is that you will need a memory card and a data plan to really take advantage of the programs available for it, (which is pretty much status quo for smart phones). I've very happy with it so far though, and I'm glad I switched from my Treo 650.

If you have any other questions about either phone, pm me.

Xtrema
11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by likwid
I was on Rogers, but found their PDA's all over-priced and not too great, so I switched to Telus and picked up a UT-Starcom 6700 and I love it!

UT Starcom is probably the worst rebrand of Wizard.

If you're on rogers, Wizards can be had as cheap as $300 unlocked.

But I would love the 400Mhz Tytn. I do find video playback isn't that good on the Wizard.