PDA

View Full Version : so... my car wont start

adam c
11-27-2006, 09:53 AM
so i tried to start my car a few times this morning with my starter.. it wouldnt work

so after the 4th time of trying and done getting ready for work i went to my car to start it.. my clutch is hard and when i tried to start it.. the engine would turn over but nothing..

i asked my roommate for a boost but still nothing. and now it wont even turn over, i can hear the starter clicking.. the clock has reset and the lights are so damn dim on the console

am i right to assume its the battery?

ps. i didnt have it plugged in last night cause some retards parked in front of my house and i couldnt get the cord to reach

b_t
11-27-2006, 09:58 AM
you didn't have it plugged in? there's your problem right there, dumbass. it is NOT going to start when it is fuckin 30 below and has sat overnight. What did you EXPECT?

Audio_Rookie
11-27-2006, 09:58 AM
the click is the relay, it mean there is power being diverted to the starter, but not enough to turn it.

Clock reset and dim lights also means battery power low.

Ya its most likely the battery.

Audio_Rookie
11-27-2006, 09:59 AM
my cars 21 years old and started fine this morning not being plugged in.

Although it does make life alot easier :)

adam c
11-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by b_t
you didn't have it plugged in? there's your problem right there, dumbass. it is NOT going to start when it is fuckin 30 below and has sat overnight. What did you EXPECT?

how the hell am i supposed to plug it in when i cant park in front of my house?

dont be a fucking bitch

natejj
11-27-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm too scared to go outside and attempt to turn it on. When I left it last night, the inside windows were completey frosted over and my heater vents were blowing snow. Good thing I dont have to go out till tomorrow.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
if you are to boost it with a dead battery and drive to work, you'll put a horendous strain on your alternator.

Also a discharged battery WILL freeze, and if its frozen 90% of the time its fucked.

So take it inside and charge it idealy, otherwise you might be SOL

and B_T read the whole post before you post something stupid

nadroj23
11-27-2006, 10:03 AM
ya my car wasnt plugged in and first try with my starter and it was fine :) but ya most likely your battery

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by b_t

All plugging a car in does is warm the coolant which in turn warms the block via convection. It doesn't do much to stop the effects -35 temperatures have on the battery.

If you cant pulg in you car, my suggestion is use a synthetic oil with a pour point of -40 or -50.

I have Mobil 1 0W40 with a pout point of -56 and the car starts every time no problems. The only reason it might sound like it starts slower is because cold temperatues have negative effects on batteries.

adam c
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
i have mobil 1 5w30 in my car right now which is the recommended oil for the car, can i put 0w40 in and have no problems?

and it kinda seems like my block is frozen, i had to pry my hood open when i tried the boost

b_t
11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by adam c

how the hell am i supposed to plug it in when i cant park in front of my house?

dont be a fucking bitch

dont be a fucking dumbass

freezing temperatures - less battery power
freezing temperatures - harder to turn the car over
harder to turn the car over - needs more battery power
honda batteries - usually smaller and as a result have less power to start with, never mind when they are frozen

put it all together and what do you get?

cleancivic
11-27-2006, 10:32 AM
my car hasnt been run all weekend and it still started this morning

beeyaaaaa

adam c
11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
it was a simple question.. theres no need for flaming

just cause u know more about cars then me.. for fuck sakes

teggypimp95
11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I have a honda battery and i havent plug it in yet? always starts. Maybe get a new battery for your car? if its old. it will be worth the 100 bucks..

b_t
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
it was a simple question.. theres no need for flaming

just cause u know more about cars then me.. for fuck sakes

don't worry about it

there is still a chance your car would start, with some cars they will start no problem at -30, but you just totally minimized the odds of that happening.

charge the battery if you haven't already. it might be frozen, but if this cold killed your battery it probably needed a replacement anyways. if you can splurge and get a nicer battery, an optima red top is your best choice (get it from Costco they have them cheap).

Mitsu3000gt
11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
i have mobil 1 5w30 in my car right now which is the recommended oil for the car, can i put 0w40 in and have no problems?

and it kinda seems like my block is frozen, i had to pry my hood open when i tried the boost

Check with your manual/dealer before going 0w40. The mobil 0W40 is a european car formula and reccomended by Audi. I don't know how well it works in other types of cars.

aypi
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by b_t

don't worry about it

there is still a chance your car would start, with some cars they will start no problem at -30, but you just totally minimized the odds of that happening.

charge the battery if you haven't already. it might be frozen, but if this cold killed your battery it probably needed a replacement anyways. if you can splurge and get a nicer battery, an optima red top is your best choice (get it from Costco they have them cheap).

i'm looking for a yellow top,do you know how much they cost in costco?

Audio_Rookie
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
+ for optima red.

Or alltra battery...but there in lethbridge.....best batteries ever for like 60$.

Good luck Adam, and good luck on the new job.

sounds like you need some sleep b_t your usually not this grumpy lol.

adam c
11-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie

and good luck on the new job.

???

---
Im gonna replace my battery, gonna go optima if they make one that will fit in my car
question, should i go yellow or red?
i know yellow is better for stereo stuff and red for?
i have 2 PG RSD10's in the back with a 5.1 PG amp and a cap running off a dvd headunit
i read that the red top is better for winter type conditions, will this be sufficient for my setup aswell?

Weapon_R
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Upgrade your battery to one with more CCAs and try plugging it in, and use 5w30 or a thinner oil. Upgrade your plugs and wire and you'll be fine in most cases.

I don't typically like to plug my car in because it just bakes the oil overnight. Think of heating your cooking oil on the lowest setting all night to get an idea of what a block heater does. If your car is mechanically good, you shouldn't need to plug it in most cases

Ichigo
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
My dad's car was plugged in and it wouldnt start. After he got a boost he went around the block boosting everyone elses cars. And then he decided my car needed a boost too ( I have no block heater). :banghead: I was looking forward not going to work today. But I'm out of excuses.
ahah everything was frozen today. My friend said his power steering was hard. Also my shifter (standard), felt like i was churning concrete and it was warming up for 20 minutes. Hopefully a few minutes on the road will warm up my tranny fluid.

lowryder99
11-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Upgrade your battery to one with more CCAs and try plugging it in, and use 5w30 or a thinner oil. Upgrade your plugs and wire and you'll be fine in most cases.

I don't typically like to plug my car in because it just bakes the oil overnight. Think of heating your cooking oil on the lowest setting all night to get an idea of what a block heater does. If your car is mechanically good, you shouldn't need to plug it in most cases

Bakes your oil? Block heaters heat coolant not oil....unless you have an auxilary oil heater, no oil will be baking...

adam c
11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
this is the optima battery for my car
Part# CCA Model Name Group Size
YEL51R 500 Optima 51R

500cca... seems low doesnt it?

Schwa
11-27-2006, 11:26 AM
If you want cheaper I recommend energizer battery from Walmart. I shopped around and those batteries seem to offer the most CCA compared to the other major brands. Mine started no problem, I dont even have a block heater :thumbsup:

kevie88
11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
My '85 civic started like a champ! haha

Supa Dexta
11-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I just took the measurement of my battery tray and went and got the biggest mofo that would fit in there last winter.. In the range of 900cca.. If it was clicking while boosting it, the cables weren't secure enough..

adam c
11-27-2006, 12:33 PM
also on a some what unrelated yet winter crap question

when i use my car starter my car doesnt really get warm even after 15 minutes until i start driving it and even then its not that great of heat.. i remember with my 90gs i had to turn off the heater cause it would get too hot
and
when i drive sometimes i can really hear my intake, its a AEM CAI and it sounds like squealing only when i accelerate tho

should i take out the cai and put a short ram for winter?

benyl
11-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
I have a honda battery and i havent plug it in yet? always starts. Maybe get a new battery for your car? if its old. it will be worth the 100 bucks..

Dude, when you plug in your car, you aren't plugging in your battery. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Weapon_R
11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck. I have a brand new one if your interested.

rc2002
11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
If you park your car outside it might be a good idea to invest in a battery blanket to keep your battery warm.

msommers
11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
For me, the Canadian tire Motomaster Eliminator battery was awesome for the last two winters.

Whats the big difference with Optima red and yellow tops?

lowryder99
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
also on a some what unrelated yet winter crap question

when i use my car starter my car doesnt really get warm even after 15 minutes until i start driving it and even then its not that great of heat.. i remember with my 90gs i had to turn off the heater cause it would get too hot
and
when i drive sometimes i can really hear my intake, its a AEM CAI and it sounds like squealing only when i accelerate tho

should i take out the cai and put a short ram for winter?

Where your temp guage reading? If it's reading normal chances are your heater core is plugged up and needs to be flushed or replaced (replacement means p.i.t.a.)

Check your coolant level also, it could be low which would give the symptoms you are listing

69cougar
11-28-2006, 01:22 PM
No batteries beat Die Hard's IMO i have never had a problem....Kal Tire is where to get em

adam c
11-28-2006, 01:29 PM
i picked up an eliminator from canadian tire last night
tried it in my car last night but couldnt get it going so i plugged it in all night and tried again this morning.. it worked after a few tries and gas pumping

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:30 PM
most likely that your car was too cold for the starter to receive enought power to roll over the motor, and theres a good chance your oil level is low, or VERRY VERRY low viscosity. So your motor naturaly had a very difficult time starting, thus discharging your battery... best bet is to "take her inside" and charge it in the wamrth.

adam c
11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
i had to pick up a new battery last night, the battery i had wa s drained.. the console lights barely came on

oil: mobil 1 5w30
coolant: fine

car was just so cold that steering was hard. clutch was hard and e-brake didnt come down properly

tapout
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by b_t

dont be a fucking dumbass

freezing temperatures - less battery power
freezing temperatures - harder to turn the car over
harder to turn the car over - needs more battery power
honda batteries - usually smaller and as a result have less power to start with, never mind when they are frozen

put it all together and what do you get? :werd:

lbrowne
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Just get a battery with a good amount of CCA. (Cold Cranking Amps)

On my 240sx she starts everytime, the motomaster Eliminator battery I have has 850 CCA which is a little overkill for that car but either way it gets the job done.

Some of those factory batteries have like 300-450 CCA. Not bad for most winters but once you get down to the temps we've had recently...you're taking your chances.

Thank God I moved outta Fort Mac.

adam c
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by tapout
:werd:

fuck - off

ZorroAMG
11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
This thread is fantastic. A once-banned member being a prick for no reason like he's a cool member of a highschool clique. Nice work B_T does it stand for bitch tits today? Mydol will help.

As for your issues.....perhaps buy a second (or 3rd) extension cord to keep in the house in order to remedy the problem when douches park in front of your house.

adam c
11-28-2006, 02:04 PM
^^
i now have 2, totaling 80 feet of cord so i should be ok now.. plus a new battery and i just went out and remote started my car and went back inside to work so it should be ok

tapout
11-28-2006, 02:12 PM

fuck - off :rofl: :rofl: YOUR A WHINING BITCH

Rockski
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
the only reason i like my car is the fact that she'll start in minus 35 or 40, may night like to, but does every single time without being plugged in. :burnout:

adam c
11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by tapout
:rofl: :rofl: YOUR A WHINING BITCH

it was a simple question and i dont need ur stupid ass quoting of some other gay post to support something that happened yesterday

yellowsnow
11-28-2006, 03:00 PM
yeah, i have to agree with adam c. b_t and tapout, you guys are just looking like retards in this thread. if you need to mess with him, do it in his other threads. :rolleyes: