PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you guys considered a "fun" p/t job?

Crymson
11-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok, well, i'm a professional as i'm sure many of you are, but have you guys contemplated a p/t job "for fun"?

Some of my friends and I were talking about this on the weekend, like a job at EB, or a ski hill, or selling car stereo equipment.

Something that's more of a hobby/learning experience than actual employment, but in todays labour market, you might be able to just go and get for the hell of it?

adam c
11-27-2006, 05:23 PM
i did..

its nice to have that extra income aswell

yet at the same time it sucks knowing u have to goto work after work or dont have free time on the weekend

RASPY
11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
working at a ski hill is absolute hell

ogpog
11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by RASPY
working at a ski hill is absolute hell

What fuckin hill were you working at?

Ive done a ton of work with Canada Olympic Park and C.O.D.A and it was a total blast. Greatest group of friends I ever met (I still board with them all), and it was the greatest. My new fun part time job is delivering. Both jobs have ended up leaving me with the ability to smoke a ton of dope on the job. Its delightful

nos_efx
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I'd love to do something on the side, something within the computing industry would be great.

What else is out therE?

78si
11-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I was a doorman back in the day.. I made money instead of spending it, and met alot of girls.:thumbsup:

waypastfast
11-27-2006, 05:52 PM
+1 for doorman. Its a great partime gig........or bartender!

Grip172
11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
i'm too small to be a doorman haha

but FUCK do i ever HATE my part time job right now..i need something where i don't cuss everytime i drive there haha

topmade
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I deliver chinese food on the weekend and I enjoy tearing around town for minimun $4/delivery + decent tips. I like driving so I enjoy it and the extra money, about $200 for 2 days of evening delieries isn't bad either.

msommers
11-27-2006, 11:41 PM
I definitely would love to work as a mechanic on the weekend and learn how to do everything on my car and never have to worry about it again. Mind you most things aren't rocket science but some things definitely need the aid of someone more experienced than myself. Or installing audio equipment could be fun too.

I totally understand how some interests/hobbies should not translate into a career all the time!

sexualbanana
11-27-2006, 11:46 PM
I would recommend against retail for now (by now I mean the xmas season) because it gets so f-in busy that it would basically just be extra stress that wouldn't be worth the $9/hour you'd be making. In the off-time it wouldn't be too bad though.

max_boost
11-28-2006, 02:10 AM
I've always wanted to work at Starbucks.

Maybe someday when I'm balling enough where I'll work P/T at a bunch of interesting jobs and then just enjoy the rest of my day.

adam c
11-28-2006, 02:13 AM
dont work at starbucks...

i did that for a month.. and it was horrible

ZorroAMG
11-28-2006, 02:38 AM
My career IS my fun job :D

tictactoe2004
11-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I would recommend against retail for now (by now I mean the xmas season) because it gets so f-in busy that it would basically just be extra stress that wouldn't be worth the $9/hour you'd be making. In the off-time it wouldn't be too bad though.

who makes $9/hour in retail during xmas? unless your just a clerk or something... it should be $30-50 an hour for dec. if your in any commision retail sales...

Lex350
11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 78si
I was a doorman back in the day.. I made money instead of spending it, and met alot of girls.:thumbsup:

same here. It was a good seconf job.:werd:

TrevorK
11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I was looking for a fun P/T job, thinking it would be great to make some extra $$$ and have a good time. Then my current P/T job offer came about, and I soon realized that using the skills I have in my daytime job during my P/T job would yield me twice the hourly wage that any "fun" P/T job most likely would. With no stress, since there's nothing new to learn. And I don't even have to deal with people.

Remember, a fun P/T job is still a job. If you aren't getting some benefits ($$$, discounts, etc...) then why not just hang out with your friends to have a good time?

whodiman
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I bartend on the side. Tips are good and you meet tons of people. great if you are fairly new in the city. Only problem is we've been shortstaffed and I have recently put in more hours there than my full time day job.:(

TimG
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
This is something that I've been considering, but the idea of giving up my weekends doesn't appeal to me.

I was thinking of home depot or rona.. maybe a self serve gas station. dunno.

ddmmak
11-28-2006, 02:12 PM
i work 25 hours at best buy.. 2 weeknights and weekends.. not bad for the discounts and the pay is alright.. extra 1200 a month after taxes..

ronaldo
11-28-2006, 03:46 PM
lol if anyone is lookin for a job at a brand new coffee shop pm me.

whodiman
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TimG
This is something that I've been considering, but the idea of giving up my weekends doesn't appeal to me.

I was thinking of home depot or rona.. maybe a self serve gas station. dunno.

You don't have to give up weekends if you don't mind working a bit later during the week. In fact, it's harder getting the weekend shifts as the tips are higher since it's busier. The only drawback with during the week is sometimes you only end up with a few hours sleep before you are back at your day job.:zzz:

Tik-Tok
11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
If I weren't married, I'd definately get a "fun" job. My occupation seriously limits my social life, and I only work with 4 other guys, so it's not like I get to meet new people on the job.

TimG
11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
well that's just it... if i get a 'fun' p/t job, i'm not going to compromise on my health and have it affect my day job.

TrevorK
11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by ddmmak
i work 25 hours at best buy.. 2 weeknights and weekends.. not bad for the discounts and the pay is alright.. extra 1200 a month after taxes..

How much do you make per hour?

$1200 after tax seems to work out to over $15/hour (I'm assuming that you work FT job as well so your tax bracket is higher).

$1200/month after tax seems really high for Best Buy....

KLCC
11-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I got rejected from "WAL-MART" for asking $20/hour for a part-time SEASONAL job.....told the HR, "take it or leave it"...not smart, but hey what the heck, can't hurt for demanding.....:D

civic_stylez
11-29-2006, 11:34 AM
if "shenaniganz" was a real restaurant, id go work there part time in a heart beat!:thumbsup:

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Waiting_Movie%20DVD%20Ryan_Reynolds%20Justin_Long%20Anna_Faris%20Dane_Cook%20Luis_Guzman.jpg

5hift
11-29-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm in the same boat. While attending UofC I'm once again looking for a fun part time job (~25-30 hrs). The last job I had was in a call center, and while it paid good and all I did was space out in front of a computer, I dreaded going to work. I'd rather make a little less money in a better atmosphere where I can work with normal people and not despise going into work.

That said, show me a job where I can realistically make 30-50/hr with commision during this holiday season and I'll apply right now.

ogpog
11-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

That said, show me a job where I can realistically make 30-50/hr with commision during this holiday season and I'll apply right now. :werd:
Id quit delivering and apply right away if there was somewhere to make that realistically.

blueripper6
11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
go work in the 'industry'

Every kitchen I have worked at is soo much fun.. the people who work nights have no lives except for the resteraunt so they just get drunk everynight... so there is always stuff to do

but be careful! This shit sucks you in(no joke, beware)

tentacles
11-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Most of these other ones I can understand, but "selling car stereos"? That's supposed to be FUN? :confused:

5hift
11-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6
go work in the 'industry'

Every kitchen I have worked at is soo much fun.. the people who work nights have no lives except for the resteraunt so they just get drunk everynight... so there is always stuff to do

but be careful! This shit sucks you in(no joke, beware)

I've worked in the 'industry'. I was a line cook at Moxies way back in the day making like 12/hr. Considering your on your feet all day in a very hot environment I didnt think it was worth it. They say the industry is a good place to meet people, but when I worked, we could barely keep up to the orders, let alone have time to stand around and talk or drink. Its possible I was working at the shittiest place though.

blueripper6
11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I worked at moxies.. sucked.

Work at a boston pizza or something that isnt even cooking, then its fun..
at BP's I had foodfights every day.. haha

ogpog
11-29-2006, 01:00 PM
I worked at moxies.. sucked.

Work at a boston pizza or something that isnt even cooking, then its fun..
at BP's I had foodfights every day.. haha

hah, I have never worked in a kitchen before, so fill me in as to how working at boston pizza or something isnt even really cooking. Im a heavy Bp's visitor (the terrible is service, i dont know why me and my friends continue to go) and so im kind of curious.

blueripper6
11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
lol dood.. NOTHING is made in house. Its basically you get what you pay for..

Its actually fucking gross. Everything comes pre cooked pre packed. All the 'prep' guys need to do take it out of the bag, into the pan. No real cooking involved, like fuck. Instead of sautee(flames, pans, cooking) there is hotpans, cheateeeeeers. Just stay away from boston pizza, go to a real resteraunt even one thats a chain but still better, earls, moxies, milestones, tons of places that cook all there food in house and its fresh. Not just bagged in some factory and put into the microwave.

example: We used slice chicked as topping on pizza, the chicken comes PRE cooked, PRE sliced. Cut open the bag, put it into container, done. Call yourself a cook..

stay AWAY!!!!!

ogpog
11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
lol dood.. NOTHING is made in house. Its basically you get what you pay for..

Its actually fucking gross. Everything comes pre cooked pre packed. All the 'prep' guys need to do take it out of the bag, into the pan. No real cooking involved, like fuck. Instead of sautee(flames, pans, cooking) there is hotpans, cheateeeeeers. Just stay away from boston pizza, go to a real resteraunt even one thats a chain but still better, earls, moxies, milestones, tons of places that cook all there food in house and its fresh. Not just bagged in some factory and put into the microwave.

example: We used slice chicked as topping on pizza, the chicken comes PRE cooked, PRE sliced. Cut open the bag, put it into container, done. Call yourself a cook..

stay AWAY!!!!!

Holy shit, I was wondering how such young people were just walking in and getting cook positions with no experience. That is dissapointing. I might as well just go to safeway and buy shit to put in my own oven.

blueripper6
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
its still a fun ass place to work though :D

aram1000
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I used to bartend part-time durring school, I am considering doing it again, fun job, meet lots of people, but late nights and dealing with drunk people can take its toll on you

groundpilot
11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Come work for the NCHL... Time keeping pays around $20 a game and only takes about an hour and a half of your time... Plus you can do whatever you want before the game since they all start at about 10 or so...

5hift
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
its still a fun ass place to work though :D

Whats the pay like? All entry level "cooks" or do guys have some superviser with experience?

finboy
11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
if "shenaniganz" was a real restaurant, id go work there part time in a heart beat!:thumbsup:

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Waiting_Movie%20DVD%20Ryan_Reynolds%20Justin_Long%20Anna_Faris%20Dane_Cook%20Luis_Guzman.jpg

for sure, partsource was allright aside from a couple people who took the job WAY to seriously

ddmmak
12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
yep thats about right... i only make 14 an hour.. but i pull in 600 every 2 weeks from bb... and the discounts are not too bad

Deville
12-03-2006, 07:08 AM
I gotta agree on the Boston Pizza job, worked there for a year when I was 17... It was a good time, evenings were fun, especially when it was slow.

iblizzard
12-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I work full time as a manager/driver for a pizza place and most nights I make about $22/hr before gas. But some of our contract drivers come in for 3 hours each night and walk away with $100 in cash under the table. For quick, VERY EASY money food delivery (pizza, Chinese food, anything) is the way to go. Drive around in your own car, listen to your own music, and get paid for it.

And almost anywhere that delivers right now is looking for extra drivers. Every Friday during the dinner rush we are quoting up to 2 hours for delivery just because we don't have the drivers to handle it.

I'm not sure exactly how much other places pay, but we (Panago) pay $2.75/delivery for contract fee. And our tips usually average out to be $3/delivery. And over the dinner rush, if you're good at reading a map, you can expect to get around 4 deliveries/hour. So around $23/hr. Not too bad for a job where you barely have to deal with customers! :)

Ajay
12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
That said, show me a job where I can realistically make 30-50/hr with commision during this holiday season and I'll apply right now.

I go to UofC and for the last five and half years I make on average $25/hr at my current job in retail sales.

Over the Christmas season even only working maybe 15 days in December I usually take home at least $3500 in commission which is LOW at my store.

I work at a Telus Mobility dealership and it's EASY to make $30-50/hr factoring in commissions for the months of Nov/Dec.

5hift
12-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

I go to UofC and for the last five and half years I make on average $25/hr at my current job in retail sales.

Over the Christmas season even only working maybe 15 days in December I usually take home at least $3500 in commission which is LOW at my store.

I work at a Telus Mobility dealership and it's EASY to make $30-50/hr factoring in commissions for the months of Nov/Dec.

you guys hiring?

Ajay
12-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Not anymore and never at my location. We're one of the busiest locations in Western Canada so no one is in any hurry to quit.

Should have clarified. Other locations within my company aren't as busy as my location with the exception of a store in Southcentre Mall and Market Mall. Besides those other two locations you'll be hard pressed to make anything over $25/hr during the holiday rush.

japancar
12-04-2006, 01:47 AM
I buy cars for fun...

7thgenvic
12-04-2006, 03:30 AM
I've worked in the bar industry for the last 2 years, 2 nights a week...I make fantastic money. but the glory of the bar wears of SOO fast. I recently quit because it catches up with you quickly. You never have time for your friends and as good and easy as the money is. Its a dirty industry when you see the thing i've seen

adidas
12-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
I've worked in the bar industry for the last 2 years, 2 nights a week...I make fantastic money. but the glory of the bar wears of SOO fast. I recently quit because it catches up with you quickly. You never have time for your friends and as good and easy as the money is. Its a dirty industry when you see the thing i've seen

Totally agree with you. Ive also worked at a club about 4 nights a week for 3-4 months and it was by far the worst job i had.

403Gemini
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
honestly for awhile i was considering rogers video because its reasonbly dead except on weekends (even still its not CRAZY its just busy) and well, free rentals is nothing to shake a stick at lol

Mazstyle
12-09-2006, 12:38 AM
A restaurant is the way to go, I'd recommend server or bartender. It's a great way to meet people and you can make a little extra cash while your at it.

Make sure to go to a place with a ton of hot chicks, like joey tomato's or earls etc etc, and then get your mack on. Thats how I met my fiance :thumbsup:

tomsweet1990
12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
i work a few evenings a week delivering and it's great when you work with all fun people....extra cheap food that's actually good doesn't hurt either..plus having a bar there in the lounge makes intersting nights sometimes....i used to work mon-fri evenings there and i pulled over 2g a month in my pocket outta there