PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP

anarchy
11-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi guys,
I have a question. I bought a laptop that came with Windows XP Home Edition, and the product id key is on the bottom of the laptop. That was a few years back and now the laptop is pretty much toast.

I have no idea how the licensing with Windows work, but is it possible to get Microsoft to send me a cd (at a cost) that I can install it on my PC, and use that licensing code? Cuz I thought that if I could get my hands on a XP Home cd I could install it on my computer using that code.

Or is the only way to go about it, to go out and purchase XP (at a pricey $250 bones)?

soupey
11-27-2006, 10:49 PM
i used a downloaded xp home cd on my laptop, it worked, but i had to use the WGA patch...but after that its as good as any legit copy, i can install all of the genuine windows software or whatever like ie7, wmp11

eblend
11-28-2006, 12:24 AM
you could have also just called microsoft and spoke to them for activation key to actually activate it. They won't know if its a laptop or a desktop the key went to, so just tell them you had to replace the motherboard in your computer and reinstalling windows and they will give you the activation key. I have done this 30+ times when i was working as a tech, for real motherboard replacements, as well as for install of xp on a new pc that a customer had build but had their old xp licence carried over

Kobe
11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
What pisses me off, my mom bought a cheap desktop (brand new) with Xp on the computer, i go 2 activate it, and it says its the wrong cd key....

Soo i just used the WGA, but can they do that?

hampstor
11-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Kobe
What pisses me off, my mom bought a cheap desktop (brand new) with Xp on the computer, i go 2 activate it, and it says its the wrong cd key....

This happens... I talked to msft and they have a team that looks for key gens, then figures out all the possible keys it creates and then deactivates them all - regardless whether they exist w/ legit cutsomers or not :banghead:

Try explaining this to a customer after microsoft on the phone has said 'you might have a pirated copy of windows, contact the police and take it back to where you bought it from'.

anarchy
11-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by eblend
you could have also just called microsoft and spoke to them for activation key to actually activate it. They won't know if its a laptop or a desktop the key went to, so just tell them you had to replace the motherboard in your computer and reinstalling windows and they will give you the activation key. I have done this 30+ times when i was working as a tech, for real motherboard replacements, as well as for install of xp on a new pc that a customer had build but had their old xp licence carried over

I'm confused by this. So just call Microsoft and tell them that I have a PC that came with XP Home? But now I want to reinstall it on a new mobo, however I don't have the activation key? And what about the disc to reformat? I don't have the disc to do so.

And what is WGA and where do I get it? Is it a key generator?

frostyda9
11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by anarchy

I'm confused by this. So just call Microsoft and tell them that I have a PC that came with XP Home? But now I want to reinstall it on a new mobo, however I don't have the activation key? And what about the disc to reformat? I don't have the disc to do so.

And what is WGA and where do I get it? Is it a key generator?

Tell them you had a PC with XP home and the motherboard died, so you had to replace it and thus Windows now sees that the hardware has substantially changed and the key must be reactivated.

You do have the activation key, it's the one on the sticker. This will be the number you give the customer support guy, who will likely speak some odd, heavily accented variation of english.

As for the disc, there's a million files out there on the intraweb, just use a torrent to get the XP home file and burn it to a CD.

WGA is Windows Genuine Advantage, a Microsoft tool designed to stop piracy by validating the authenticity of your OS when you use certain services (ie. Windows update). It's a pain in the ass for non-legit installs, and mostly a non-issue for legit users. Once your new key is activated by MS, it won't bother you.

In all honesty, I have 2 computers set up, one has a legit copy of XP Pro, one has a "trial" version. The legit one is way more hassle. The "trial" one does not care how substantailly or how often I change hardware. Is seems to me there is some strange irony in that situation.

anarchy
11-29-2006, 01:22 AM
wow that's great info
thanks frosty and everyone else!