PDA

View Full Version : Car Problem??

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 12:58 AM
i have a 92 EG, and just lately it has been starting weird. It turns over and sounds like it fires up, and as soon as i let go of the key, it turns off.. its takes a bit to get it goin sometimes.... i was wondering if this could be my starter?? or something else... let me know what you think... thanks

sr20dets13
11-28-2006, 12:59 AM
maybe cuz its like -30 out?..lol

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:04 AM
but even when ive had it running for awhile.. and i turn it off.. and then i go out and start in 5 minutes later it does it??

adam c
11-28-2006, 01:06 AM
go get ur battery checked

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:09 AM
yeah.. that may be a good idea... i dont want to get crapped out in this weather

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:14 AM
does it sound at all like a starter problem??

sr20dets13
11-28-2006, 01:23 AM
how long does it take to catch? does it start right away?
or does it slowly take time to turn over? if it was your starter
the car wouldnt start at all..or it would like grind and then catch
happend to my car a while ago..id get your battery checked out
you might just need a new one.

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:31 AM
yeah thats prolly it.. no grinding noise or anything when it starts,,, it just sounds like it starts than quickly dies

ercchry
11-28-2006, 01:36 AM
if its not slow to turn over i dout its the battery sounds like a fuel problem. might be nothin since it is so cold out. just a little ice in the lines maybe

Annoyingrob
11-28-2006, 08:53 AM
My car does this too, but only because it's not tuned past -10 with cold start enrichments. It MAY be a fuel issue. What sort of mods are you running on the vehicle, specifically, are you running any sort of piggyback, or standalone fuel management?

If your engine turns over (chug chug chug), then chances are your starter is fine.

If you can crank it for a while, and not have it die on you, chances are your battery is fine too. Of course, if it's REALLY sluggish to start, It MAY be the battery, or it may just be thick cold oil. To check, I would get a volt meter. Try cranking the car for a little bit, then stop, and check the voltage. If it's <11v after you're done cranking, your battery may be on its way out.

The fact that it does it even when the engine is warm pretty much rules out oil viscosity.

What sort of mods do you have on the vehicle?

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
D15b7 JDM vtec swap, with a virgin P28 Ecu. Vibrant Short ram intake, Header, N1 style axel back.

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
anyone else think it could be the ignition switch??

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 05:37 PM
?? :confused:

RickDaTuner
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
this sounds to me like your distributor bearing is on its way out, the same thing happened to me a long time ago when i had an EG cost me 600 to have one rebuilt by Canadian tire, when i could have had a new performance one for about 300 bones. while I'm not pointing the finger at this to be the cause of your car troubles it is always something to consider:thumbsup:

jdm_eg6
11-28-2006, 11:09 PM
:(

Annoyingrob
11-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Sorry about taking so long to reply:

Hmm, I'm no Honda guy, so I have to ask a few questions here. When you swapped the engine, did you have to swap the ecu as well? (I would assume so, to add the vtec functionality) Did you have to swap teh wiring harness too? (I would assume so as well). Did you have to moify the wiring harness in any way?

I ask this because it MIGHT be an electrical issue. IF there was any sort of custom wiring, the ECU may only be getting power in the ACC position, but not in the CRANK position. This would only be possible with non-stock wiring though. This MAY be caused by a faulty ignition switch but I honestly don't know. A good way to check is to hook up a volt meter to the power wires going to the ECU, and check to see if there's a voltage when cranking.

Does the car run fine once it's started? If it does, this would pretty much rule out anything with the distributor. If the car ran sluggish, and/or had realy bad gas milage, there may be something wrong with the distributor.

jdm_eg6
11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
:banghead: