PDA

View Full Version : PC game recommendations...

saladonthebeach
11-28-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't really have patience downloading demos and the like, so I'm wondering if I could get some pointers on good FPS games. Please advise.

My favorite games of all time are probably RTCW, Hit Man, and Far Cry. Each of those games have really neat interactions to bring a certain realism to the action. I'm not really into the multiplayer realm or having "team" play.. I like to give 'er hell without the drama of AI team members getting whacked all the time and fuggin up the game progress. Being said that, it kind of puts the damper on Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, and the like. I've seriously over played all my games and I'm uneasy to waste hard earned money on some game that's going to be shite.

Thanks for reading and/or input.

hondafetish
11-28-2006, 01:30 AM
You can't really go wrong with Call of Duty.. it's a first person shooter only, where you have teammates but you don't control them. If they die, they're replaced. I just played COD3 on XBOX360, and the first courtyard you have to overrun is a BITCH!

I'm replaying Far Cry right now.. why is it that Ubisoft only put out more than one version for only the 360?

k98303
11-28-2006, 02:24 AM
war craft III - DOTA.....it is 100% a "team game" because i like standing there and watchin my friends gettin ass kick then sneak in and steal some kills.. =P

Shoebox//Racer
11-28-2006, 02:29 AM
serious sam 1 = hours of fun, DO NOT get serious sam 2

RickDaTuner
11-28-2006, 02:31 AM
a little old but still a gooder, to me would be Half Life 2 and then
Ep 1 .

EP2. will be comming out some time soon i imagine wich will include some really new wepons like the portal gun:thumbsup:

Nova316
11-28-2006, 02:57 AM
F.E.A.R
Best FPS i've played in a while, liked the unique story line to
Soldier of fortune 1 & double helix
those are those shoot em up games with some sweet twist in them

Far cry i thought was a terrible game, once u got to those altered monkey/beast lol

black_radiation
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
HL2 ftw, i've been a diehard HL fan since day one lol

dennisaur
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
+1 for HL2. That game is the best FPS i've ever played

msommers
11-28-2006, 04:56 PM
I love playing battlefield 2! Counterstrike: Source is amazing as well. Those are good online games I find. Half life 2 and F.E.A.R are really well done single player games, although there is one part in HF2 that is super long and boring as hell (the boat part for anyone who played it)

frostyda9
11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Soldier of Fortune 2 :D

It's a retro classic with single player missions or randomly generated missions within your parameters, and the online play is fun and varied (ie. there is one server set up golden gun style, where any hit counts as an instant fatality).

DJ Lazy
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Battlefield 2142

natejj
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
You seem to like FPS single player games. HL2 is a must. No questions asked.

Torrent
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
HL:2 is deffinitely the best single player game I've ever had. And also if you buy HL:2 you'll get CS:S included with it which is my favourite and most played game.

cityhunter2501
11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
since he just like shooting around...
Painkiller is worth checking :thumbsup:

Blacura
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
HL2 and FEAR for sure. Prey is alright too, has a unique gravity feature to it.

Both hl2 and FEAR have expansion packs out now too.

seer_claw
11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Blacura
HL2 and FEAR for sure. Prey is alright too, has a unique gravity feature to it.

Both hl2 and FEAR have expansion packs out now too.

+1 for both of these. The AI in FEAR is amazing, incredibly realistic. :thumbsup:

Canaduh
11-28-2006, 09:24 PM
For sure S.O.F. 2 is golden... I also liked battlefield and HL2. :thumbsup:

saladonthebeach
11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Okay, that's great input.. thanks!

I want to try and stay away from online play as I'm sure I get addicted pretty bad. I have BF 1942 and I practiced for awhile, but never made it online. I also understand that RTCW: ET has a free multiplayer game out. I like playing PC and console games, but it's nice to reach some kind of ending. Also, I wondered about the security aspect from online multiplay.

So, I take it that Half Life 1(never tried it)/ 2 and F.E.A.R. are the way to go. I'll have to go to EB Games and buy them for myself, for an early Christmas present. lol

Is Serious Sam like Halo or Duke Nukem styled?

I'm not up on what's new, but what's E.P. ?
I'll check out descriptions of the other games suggested.

I really loved FarCry except for the mutants as well... especially the focken primate ones. I loved the AI and the bottomless pocket rocks.. the terrain was awesome.

I forgot about S.O.F. , I found the demo to be quite pleasing.. it had the fun corpse movement when you go for the extra peppering, from what I can remember... I'm going to add that game to my list.

Edit: I guess this is in the wrong board.. I just saw the child board PC game topic just now. Mods can move this if need be.

Arthur Dent
11-29-2006, 12:41 PM
System Shock 2 is rather good (first is even better but really old now) - like HL but better.

403Gemini
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by saladonthebeach
Is Serious Sam like Halo or Duke Nukem styled?

lol, my friend, serious sam is in a league of its own. it sort of has that "stupid humor" edge Duke Nukem as, but the fighting in it is nothing short of intense. Bosses the size of football stadiums, 100+ enemies on the screen at a time... it just redefines "spray and pray"

saladonthebeach
11-30-2006, 02:31 AM
Sounds like fun, I'll check that out along with the other one mentioned.

I think I may have to go down to EB tomorrow and rifle through their selection for some of these games. :guns: :clap:

nos_efx
11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from butcher's bay was a great game I thought.

Unfortunately it didnt really get much attention.

nos_efx
11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Call of Juarez wasnt bad either, nice change from the usual shooters and a great story line.

HHURICANE1
11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Quake 4, Half-Life 1/2/Episode 1, F.E.A.R, all great games. Playing old school right now myself with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

saladonthebeach
12-01-2006, 02:07 PM
^haha.. me too, just last night.. awesome game!

Thanks for the new suggestions, my playing list is certainly evolving.

..::Game buying may be put on hold and may instead be suggested X-mas presents from family, friends, and lovers.. car shopping is in effect at the moment with possible deal in motion::..

msommers
12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by saladonthebeach
..::Game buying may be put on hold ...car shopping is in effect at the moment with possible deal in motion::..

Dude get your priorities straight:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't forget, if you want to experience those games for what they actually are, u need surround sound and a good gaming rig. When u hear that bastard trying to creep up behind you in F.E.A.R and u actually hear it behind you, it's the coolest thing ever

saladonthebeach
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
^ hahaha.. true enough. I think the deal will fall through anyways, so off to EB I will go to buy a bunch of games. :thumbsup:

^ Amen to that. Thanks for the tip with F.E.A.R. . As it stands, the comp is lacking from full geek status, but it's okay with some core upgrades I've done recently. I have a fair set of 4.1 ALTEC surround w/sub.. serves me well for the time being. The computer itself seems to handle Far Cry and the graphic intensive swamp part in Jedi Outcast pretty good, so it should play others well as far as I know.. no complaints as of yet. I'm sure my video card and processor will be outdated again soon enough though. Also, I only have onboard sound.. the one thing I trimmed off the cost of the prior computer build-up. I'll put in a request for a bad ass sound card in for Christmas, but the onboard sound actually performs okay for music, movies, and general gaming. I know that good cards are way better though and processes surround-sound the way it should be. Once I convert.. it's probably safe to say that my current "good" sound was only crap sound.