PDA

View Full Version : BMW 3-Series or Infiniti G35

CaptainReboot
11-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Hey,

I'm looking at buying a new car within the next 6 months. A bit of an upgrade from my Honda Civic, since the 2 - door is a pain in the ass.

I really want a BMW 3-Series, since I just love the way they look. However, the wife prefers a Japanese car, either Lexus or Inifiniti.

What 3 series would people recommend that would be comparable to the G35? Would there be a Lexus that would fall in that price range as well? I'm not to familiar with the Lexus models.

What about maintenance, oil changes, etc...would they be pretty similar to repair costs?

I'm assuming they're all rear-wheel drive, so I'd probably look for something that is all-wheel, unless one of them makes a fwd model.

Any other opinions on what type of car I should be looking at would be appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2006, 10:08 AM
All 3 cars can be had in AWD, however, you have to take the low HP lexus (the IS250 instead of 350) if you want AWD on the lexus. The G35 has 300HP (Little more I think now actually) and the BMW has I think 255HP. The BMW will be $5000 or $10,000 more expensive than the infinity, but it's built better. That said, the BMW will be the most expensive to fix if something does go wrong. The Lexus will likely have the best reliability as they just don't break.

Infiniy = Bang for your buck, still fast, not built quite like the others
Lexus = Safe buy, not very fun
BMW = most expensive, most fun

Thats my opinion anyways, I'd go for the BMW. If you want to wait for the 335i, you can have the 300HP 300TQ twin turbo, but I don't know if they will make it AWD.

JordanLotoski
11-28-2006, 10:11 AM
I looked at lexus, infiniti, mercedes, acura, and bmw before buying

all had nice cars but i ended up with a 330i. To me was the best car out of all the comparables

good luck

BigMass
11-28-2006, 10:38 AM
new G35 is a nice improvement over the old one so definitely check it out

AWD? Check out the Legacy GT.

others:
G35
IS350

all good buys which you cant really go wrong with. You can argue for the next year which one is "best"

Also, if youre not too concerned with high end performance, dont overlook an Acura like the TSX. FWD, but great quality, interior, build, and a top notch 4 cylinders engine that will get you good gas mileage.

yellowsnow
11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
i'm looking at the same cars too.

lexus is250
infiniti g35
audi a4
subaru legacy gt
bmw 330xi

i love the way the lexus looks, and the interior is pure sex. but i found the power really lacking. i think the is250 only has around 230hp or lower. the reliability of lexus/toyota is the best in my opinion.

infiniti g35 is pretty sweet. i'm not a fan of the 4 door, but if you want awd you're going to have to get that. awesome handling, and great power. interior is fairly nice too... and gas mileage isn't too bad either.

audi a4. i really like the audi, not too expensive, looks awesome, decent power/torque. but the major deterrant for me is the reliability issue. however they have a really good warranty that probably makes up for it.

subaru legacy gt. the interior isn't as nice as the other cars, and not really on par with lexus/bmw/infinity. but it's a lot cheaper, and i like subaru's. great power, and looks awesome.

bmw 330. i'm not a big fan of bmw's. i just think bmw dealerships are stuck up a**holes, so i refuse to buy one from a dealership. can't comment too much on them, since i haven't test drove one yet. but from what people tell me, the bmw is the best in terms of handling. nice interior and exterior.

Weapon_R
11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I think you have to consider that the 3-series has been voted the best car in its class for the past decade or so. This year was no different. The 3-series is a blast to drive.

Also, if you're buying new, reliability shouldn't be much of an issue for the next 3-4 years, and all of your choices have great warranty programs to cover any problems that might arise. The Lexus by far will be most reliable, but the 3-series the funnest. Not sure where the G35 compares in the mix.

By the way, take your wife out to test drive the Bimmer in winter. Even without AWD and with all season tires, it's very hard to lose control with stability control on. It's a very impressive system...without it, a different story :burnout:

rc2002
11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
There's a reason why the 3-Series always tops the list. Having test driven both the G35 and 3-series sedan, it's a no brainer.

You should try them out for yourself before making a decision.

aram1000
11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
All three make good cars and I am sure you will not be dissapointed with any of those choices. I am not a big fan of the style of the 4 door G35, the lexus and bmw both are better looking cars to me. With lexus you will get a very reliable vehicle and your maintenance costs overall will probably be lower compared to bmw. However, bmw does make very good cars and they are extremely fun to drive. As for awd, its a nice to have, definately makes winter driving better, however you loose gas mileage as a result, plus AWD tend to be heavier. The resale on all these cars are good too, though the best resale value will probably be the bmw. If I was in your position, it would be a toss up between the bmw and the lexus. Just remember, when reading different reviews there are lots of biases, this is what I have found anyway when researching these cars, so take the reviews with a grian of salt. Good choice of cars to look for and best of luck with your search.

ShOwOfF
11-28-2006, 04:18 PM
+1 for the 3 series with ASC. Handles better than any of my previous front wheel drive cars in this great weather we've been having.

max_boost
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
We have a problem here.

If you placed a brand new 335, IS350 and G35 in front of me. Can you go wrong with any of the above?! :eek: :bigpimp:

DoubleDown
11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
I've owned both a boosted E46 M3, and an '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe, and I miss the hell out of the G35. My personal opinion. The fit and finish of the G35 Coupe was much nicer... the BMW feels cheap inside. Performance can't really be compared in my case, but I've driven stock M3's before and it's not a lot different from the G35.

If you put both of them in front of me, stock for stock, I'd take the G35 Coupe.

- Mike

herragge
11-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by DoubleDown
I've owned both a boosted E46 M3, and an '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe, and I miss the hell out of the G35. My personal opinion. The fit and finish of the G35 Coupe was much nicer... the BMW feels cheap inside. Performance can't really be compared in my case, but I've driven stock M3's before and it's not a lot different from the G35.

If you put both of them in front of me, stock for stock, I'd take the G35 Coupe.

- Mike

Wow thats an interesting comment. I can understand that the BMW's interior's aren't the most beautiful around however. Also 333hp vs 293hp wouldn't be a MASSIVE change, probably noticable, but I'd still take the amazing S54 engine in the M3...revving to 8k or so is pure sex.

BMW's have consistently have had the highest residual value rating, so that equates to better resale value. Lexus will obviously be the winner in the interior and reliability department.

To be honest, its a tough call. imo I would get the Lexus but thats a bias on my part...Biases aside its a hard choice any way you pick it and any way you pick it you will have one sweet automobile.

Mike

keroppi
12-06-2006, 01:21 AM
BMW 3 series interior is not anything fancy but i think it's still better than G35's painted silver console, which looks cheap and cheesy (did they change it in 2007 model?)
The current generation of 3series's interior is not as nice as my E46's, in my opinion.
If you want nice build quality, I think Audi and Mercedes and Lexus would excel.

Anyway, I just want to comment on that there's nothing wrong with rear wheel drive in winter driving... well, perhaps except you have to drive on some very icy uphill road all the time. Otherwise, a good handling RWD cars (e.g., G35 and BMW) with winter tires run much better than FWD and not much worse than AWD... and AWD is heavier and more understeering ...

A new BMW is not expensive to maintain cos you'd have 4yr of warranty, 4 yr of free maintenance including even wear and tear items, and BMW dont really have that many problems as many stories (myths) say, from my experience.

LuxCars
12-06-2006, 01:43 AM
I personally think the lexus looks nicer than the 3 series, plus they have some pretty neat features in that car (the keyless everything is pretty sweet)....But if you have the chance to upgrade to the 5 series...DO IT!!!!

http://www.macxcess.com/vblog/uploaded_images/IS250-2-777414.png

http://www.bmw.ca/media_gallery/media/image/E90_Wallpaper_07_640x480.jpg

WOWOWOWOWO

http://www.bmw.ca/media_gallery/media/image/5SeriesSedan_01_640x480.jpg

The look on the front is so aggresive yet......hard to explain but pure sex.......the good kind.

IncredibleToad
12-06-2006, 02:03 AM
note a huge fan of the new 5's....the previous gen looked the best to me ESPECIALLY the m5...good god

the legacy's interior felt too cheap, that was a big negative for me...im surrounded by this cheapness for the entirety of my drives that just doesnt cut it for me.

id prefer the IS overall...like it was stated many times before...prolly the best reliability and good power but mite not handle as well as the BMW, if i were to choose id probably put the G at the end of the list...

ps is it just me or does the IS have MASSIVE side mirrors? i drove alongside a few here and there and couldnt help but notice those things REALLY stick out

BoS_DC2
12-06-2006, 03:02 AM
The IS250 or the 3 Series would be top on the list.. 4 Door G35 just doesn't look right.

cloud7
12-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Yes there is a new Infiniti G (G35x if you're looking for the AWD model)... it looks much nicer than the old ones which has been around for a while and kind of looks dated. Personally, if I am in the market for a BMW 325xi or a Lexus IS250x, I would NOT be looking at the G35x... because the G35x is a much larger car in size.... plus with 308 hp, you'll be at a gas station every few days depending on how much you drive....

I like the Lexus, but it is underpowered and doesn't have a manual tranny.

The BMW is nice too but the interior is not as nice (in terms of material and quality as the Lexus).

It's a tough choice depending on what you need... a lot of stuff are subjective... the best car rated by magazines may not be the best car for you. Drive them all and see which one you like.

yellowsnow
12-06-2006, 10:30 AM
The interior of the IS-series is just so hawt. I'm sure the keyless starter, locks will get old pretty fast, but the seats, dash, fit and finish are just oustanding. i really like the guages too.

LuxCars
12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by cloud7

hmmm.....what model are you reffering too because my friend has a Is250 with manual tranny (but not sure of trim)

Shaad
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Lexus IS350 has RWD and AWD versions. If you and your wife are both driving it as a family car, Id go lexus. very reliable, safe, lots of goodies, comfortable and theres some fun there too.

before looking at BMW, ask a BMW driving what they pay on service/repair and how often they have to fix stuff that breaks. Cool costs money, depends what you like I guess.

cloud7
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars

hmmm.....what model are you reffering too because my friend has a Is250 with manual tranny (but not sure of trim)

the guy is looking for AWD... the lexus awd does NOT come with manual tranny.

cloud7
12-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
The interior of the IS-series is just so hawt. I'm sure the keyless starter, locks will get old pretty fast, but the seats, dash, fit and finish are just oustanding. i really like the guages too.

I agree lexus has got the interior (and to me the exterior too) right in this car.

I don't think the kyless starter and locks will get old fast.... Mercedes have had it for years and the feature hasn't disappeared yet.

JordanLotoski
12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes there is a new Infiniti G (G35x if you're looking for the AWD model)... it looks much nicer than the old ones which has been around for a while and kind of looks dated. Personally, if I am in the market for a BMW 325xi or a Lexus IS250x, I would NOT be looking at the G35x... because the G35x is a much larger car in size.... plus with 308 hp, you'll be at a gas station every few days depending on how much you drive....

The BMW is nice too but the interior is not as nice (in terms of material and quality as the Lexus).

It's a tough choice depending on what you need... a lot of stuff are subjective... the best car rated by magazines may not be the best car for you. Drive them all and see which one you like.

I dissagree, I have an E90 and I think the fit and finish is just as good as lexus if not better...I have owned quite a few cars over the years and my E90 is by far the most fun to drive. I did have the option to buy the 530i, but i thought the styling on the 330i was alot nicer.

B17a
12-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

my E90 is by car the funniest to drive.

What's so funny about the E90?:D

Seriously though, I went through the same considerations and settled on E90 as well.

JordanLotoski
12-07-2006, 02:55 PM
^^^ opps...fixxed

NoFlo
12-07-2006, 03:13 PM

I dissagree, I have an E90 and I think the fit and finish is just as good as lexus if not better...I have owned quite a few cars over the years and my E90 is by far the most fun to drive. I did have the option to buy the 530i, but i thought the styling on the 330i was alot nicer.

hmmm...i have seen the interior of a e90 3-series (lowest model 3) and an IS350 interior and i would have to say the IS is much much nicer and elegant and more 'WHOA' factor than that 3-series i saw.

Speed_RaSiR
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
BMW 335 0-60 in 4.8 seconds > Any Japanese car

sgouki
12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I personally don't like any of the new bmws...Well the 5 series is great but it's no business mans car anymore. It seems that bmw is trying to impress the mid 20s gen.
But choice is entirely up to you since everybody has different tastes. My recommendation would be that you go to each dealership and test drive em all + pick up a pamphlet and sit at home and compare and imagine which one suits you best.

I would much rather pick up a E46 M3 than the new 335. Sure it's fast but I wouldn't want to catch the ugly lines of a Bangle design

sgouki
12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I haven't sat in the new lexis but I have sat in the bmws and I don't like the dash. Sit in the E36 and you will feel that the whole car is for you. Sit in the new 5s and 3s and it feels large and shared among the rest of the passengers.

nadroj23
12-07-2006, 04:27 PM
My bro owns a 335 Sedan not AWD as it is not available for at least another year...but he loves it he went with a BMW or everything else he test drove everything....my parents also have a BMW they have a 330xi Sedan and holy shit. i havent driven my bros but my parents is damn fun.......thing is quick. i really disagree with the interior, i dont know what models you guys have been in but i really like it the material doesnt seem cheap....althought i havent been in any new lexus's i cant say anything about those....but you have to make sure you get the real leather if you go bimmer and not the pleather shit....

LuxCars
12-07-2006, 07:45 PM

the guy is looking for AWD... the lexus awd does NOT come with manual tranny.

well THANK YOU.
(but hes also looking for FWD).:thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by NoFlo

hmmm...i have seen the interior of a e90 3-series (lowest model 3) and an IS350 interior and i would have to say the IS is much much nicer and elegant and more 'WHOA' factor than that 3-series i saw.

I have a 330i with sport and prem package, here are a few pics, personally i think its alot nicer then the lexus.

JordanLotoski
12-07-2006, 10:01 PM
i chose the Lemon interior with Burl wood trim

A2VR6
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
I personally think the lexus looks nicer than the 3 series, plus they have some pretty neat features in that car (the keyless everything is pretty sweet)....

The 3 series also has the keyless feature as well. It's called "Comfort Access"

MIWYFSHOT:
How is the Lemon interior holding up in terms of dirt? Does it get dirty easy? Do your jeans rub off on the leather?

Altezza
12-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Not sure if this influences your decision:

2006 Customer Retention Study (the study measures the percentage of new-vehicle buyers and lessees who replace a previously purchased new vehicle with another from the same nameplate.)

BMW is near the top; infinity is at the bottom.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/12/jdpowerretention.jpg

TNation
12-08-2006, 03:08 PM
I love the new G35's.
I testdrove a BMW 330i and for speedwise it
could not compare vs. a G35.
However, the new 335i's will definetely waste a G35.
It'd be up to you, but Infiniti has cheaper parts and maintainance and if you've ever been to a BMW dealership you'll never
want to go back cause they are so rude and arrogant.

Speed_RaSiR
12-08-2006, 04:28 PM
i chose the Lemon interior with Burl wood trim

Outstanding choice, I almost went with that. Will be hard to keep clean but looks the best.

JordanLotoski
12-08-2006, 04:33 PM
the lemon isnt that bad, i keep some leather wipes in the car and wipe the seats down once or twice a month.

to the comment about the service at the dealership...I get treated like a god when iam in there, i told them i didnt like the X3 loaner car, they called me 20 minutes later with an 07 5 series to use while my car was getting some work done. They have been nohing but great to me....(calgary bmw)

boscorelli
12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
I have a friend who recently just put $4000.00 in suspension parts into her BMW 330 CI. This is my opinion, but no one should have to spend that kind of money on repairs for a car that is only 2 years old.

JordanLotoski
12-08-2006, 10:45 PM
BMW warrenty covers suspension for 3 years or 80,000km if the car is 2 years old BMW would have warrentied that unless she has added aftermarket parts

BMW even covers oil changes, the only thing thats not covered is break components unless manufactures defect.

Speed_RaSiR
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
the lemon isnt that bad, i keep some leather wipes in the car and wipe the seats down once or twice a month.

to the comment about the service at the dealership...I get treated like a god when iam in there, i told them i didnt like the X3 loaner car, they called me 20 minutes later with an 07 5 series to use while my car was getting some work done. They have been nohing but great to me....(calgary bmw)

Just wait for the new dealership, :thumbsup: you still slangin grass? might need some stuff this spring :rofl:

Aleks
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
How about the entry level 323i vs something like TSX.

BMW never really advertized this car's hp jump from 174hp to 200hp this year. 35.5K for a base model. You can't get HIDs or real leather though.

CaptainReboot
12-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Shaad
Lexus IS350 has RWD and AWD versions. If you and your wife are both driving it as a family car, Id go lexus. very reliable, safe, lots of goodies, comfortable and theres some fun there too.

before looking at BMW, ask a BMW driving what they pay on service/repair and how often they have to fix stuff that breaks. Cool costs money, depends what you like I guess.

The 350 has an AWD version? I didn't see it on their website. It though only the 250 had AWD