PDA

View Full Version : Career in Non Destructive Testing a good idea?

HeavyD111
11-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Things didn't work out regarding Power Engineering this fall, so I was doing some looking around and a friend suggested becoming a Non Destructive tester. Said the wages are great but long hours. Anyone here know anything about this?? Good job? Worth doing? Any info you have would be great.

Ven
11-29-2006, 12:06 AM
NDT is great, pay is good and hours aren't bad depending on the company.

3G
11-29-2006, 12:10 AM
on average what do they make? the sait course seems pretty good (and short)

spike98
11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
I have my level 2 MPI cert and starting wage for one around here is $22-$23.

My paticular job is 8-5, hour lunch mon-fri. Never work weekends or stats.

But my job requires me to do a small portion of what Lvl 2 MPI techs can do. So there is def more money out there to be made. Especially with more than one NDT course.

I suggest MPI, LPI, and radiography. They seem to be the most widely used. I want to take ultrasonics just because it seems like a neat course to take but from what i understand is limited in is use around here.

HeavyD111
11-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Lloydminster and Calgary companies I talked to said pay of 80-100K/yr was normal after getting level 2 certification, but often the worker has 12hr+ days. Good cash, long hours. Do these wages seem too high?

old&slow
11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by HeavyD111
Lloydminster and Calgary companies I talked to said pay of 80-100K/yr was normal after getting level 2 certification, but often the worker has 12hr+ days. Good cash, long hours. Do these wages seem too high?

Considering the hours and certification thats prolly right!
The guys that come to our shop put in long days!

Mixalot27
11-30-2006, 07:40 AM
I considered going into to this. However note that if you have any kind of color deficiency you will not be able to get employement. So you might want to get an eye test first just to make sure, as a large % of males have some type of color deficiency.

spike98
11-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I considered going into to this. However note that if you have any kind of color deficiency you will not be able to get employement. So you might want to get an eye test first just to make sure, as a large % of males have some type of color deficiency.

In order to even apply for the course you have to have a form signed by a eye doctor stating that you have no problems with colour.

googe
11-30-2006, 10:34 AM
look at the pay for normal days. if you work 12 hour days, you WILL burn out. its only a matter of time.

craigcd
02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

That seems weird my Uncle has been in the business for years, owned his own business for 15 + years and now is a inspector and he is color blind?

Anyways, I really dont think the hours are that bad. If you are working 12+ hours you are probably out of town and have nothing else to do anyway. A helper working out of town can make close to 80-100 K, a level 2 out of town can make more and do alot more sitting around.

In town you will make less like any other job.

krisopotamus
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
If you want to work a lot...tons of OT... and make KILLER money, then yes.

I worked as an operator at an oil plant, we had to book the guy so far in advance, and he said somethin like he's had 3 days off in the last 4 months or something crazy...