PDA

View Full Version : Sunfire!!

Pages : [1] 2

lightsout
05-10-2003, 04:49 PM
I think sunfires are owning the block now what u guys think...

i kinda like them.

Ben
05-10-2003, 04:51 PM
I beg to Differ.

:rolleyes:

lightsout
05-10-2003, 04:52 PM
why??? they have alot of hp and they have a sleek look for there price. doesnt tAKe much to juice one up.

DUBBED
05-10-2003, 04:53 PM
its funny my car is ten years old and worth almost as much as a new sunfire/caviler same thing... prob will last longer too...

lightsout
05-10-2003, 04:54 PM
what kind of car you got i ahev had my sunfire ever since 95 and it runs perfectly fine...

DUBBED
05-10-2003, 04:59 PM
well if you consider the mods done....

http://cvd.acanthusmedia.ca/memberrides/memberride.php?member=19

edit: dont get me wrong i like them and have seen some pretty nice ones... i just have a hard time finding value in them... and of course if you take care of them they are gonna last a long time... but ive never had a good experience with a compact domestic so i guess that is the reason for me feeling this way

lightsout
05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
ummm dude u said your car was 10 years old and ont hat site it says its a 1997 and it has been sold............... whats going on???

lightsout
05-10-2003, 05:05 PM
no i mean souping it it dude.

DUBBED
05-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by lightsout
ummm dude u said your car was 10 years old and ont hat site it says its a 1997 and it has been sold............... whats going on???

its the previous owners site... it was sold to me.. he bought it off his parents in 97 who bought it brand new in 1994

lightsout
05-10-2003, 05:10 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=111035&make_type_query=make%3DPontiac&model_brand_query=model%3DSunfire&tree=Pontiac%20Sunfire

the car is so nice looking man how can u disagree...

DUBBED
05-10-2003, 05:12 PM
looks fine...

but i can disagree because it is my opinion.. i dont like it.. to much pizzazz for my style... like i said i have seen some nice sunfires on the web but it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy one let alone soup one up

Blue Devil 2
05-10-2003, 05:17 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=111035&make_type_query=make%3DPontiac&model_brand_query=model%3DSunfire&tree=Pontiac%20Sunfire

I think it looks like shit.

hjr
05-10-2003, 05:30 PM
well its a matter of opinion. I think they are perfectly fine boot scoot and boogie cars, but i feel that they dont respond well to mods (asthetically) and the performance is good, but its value is reduced in the big picture by relilability. Maybe not yours in particular, but in general.

SI-vic
05-10-2003, 05:31 PM
My opinion also says it looks like shit.

TalonVelocity
05-10-2003, 05:31 PM
yeah agreed. looks like shit

Superesc
05-10-2003, 05:34 PM
:thumbsup:

ninspeed
05-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Not everyone will agree on a car, you will have haters, and lovers.. I dont mind them, kinda look good when done right

T5Bird
05-10-2003, 05:37 PM
C'mon guys, comparing a Sunfire to shit????? I don't know what your shit looks like, but mine is nicer than a Sunfire.:poosie: of course that's just my opinion.:dunno:

XylathaneGTR
05-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Well...I might as well say it.
Sunfires are good for commuting to/from work etc...But as a performance car? No.
Like, that guy's car that you posted, that everyone thinks looks like shit, Does IMO, look pretty ugly, Although the bodywork flows smoothly...he didn't even paint the door handles. :thumbsdow

Is the only reason you came on beyond was to preach about sunfires?
As for the "Owning the block." I highly doubt it, I see a few done up sunfires here and there, and the drivers drive them like they're hot shit...And drive like mentioned in some of the posts here about cavalier owners.

It also doesn't take a lot to "Juice" up a civic or an integra either
And they dont have a lot of horses actually, Maybe for the pricetag, but in teh grand scheme of things, They dont. And the new ones espically look like the worst shit i've ever had. The kind that makes your ass burn, and then you feel 5 pounds lighter after. Thats bad shit.

Ferio_vti
05-10-2003, 05:52 PM

Is that you in the pics?? Cuz whoever it is looks like he's pretty excited to be standing beside that Sunfire.

lammer
05-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Well...I might as well say it.
Sunfires are good for commuting to/from work etc...But as a performance car? No.
Like, that guy's car that you posted, that everyone thinks looks like shit, Does IMO, look pretty ugly, Although the bodywork flows smoothly...he didn't even paint the door handles. :thumbsdow

Is the only reason you came on beyond was to preach about sunfires?
As for the "Owning the block." I highly doubt it, I see a few done up sunfires here and there, and the drivers drive them like they're hot shit...And drive like mentioned in some of the posts here about cavalier owners.

It also doesn't take a lot to "Juice" up a civic or an integra either
And they dont have a lot of horses actually, Maybe for the pricetag, but in teh grand scheme of things, They dont. And the new ones espically look like the worst shit i've ever had. The kind that makes your ass burn, and then you feel 5 pounds lighter after. Thats bad shit.

civics are meant for daily driving too..its not for performance so why does it matter what car he "juices" up.

mwmhong
05-10-2003, 06:04 PM

I disagree :)

i kinda like them.

Yeah, I really like the looks/performance of the 1st gen, as long as it's a GT and 2-door. :love:
It looks sleek and sporty too. :thumbsup:
The 4-door looks like garbage.

Now, the 2nd gen has the facelift which looks more like a faceDROP, fucking UGLY, like the AZTEK :barf:
However, they did fix the back-end so it's much cleaner without all that Darth Vader black plastic crap. :thumbsup:

IMO, the Sunfire looks best relatively STOCK.
No whacky stuff please.

mwmhong
05-10-2003, 06:24 PM
I found one (http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=178545&page=2) that looks okay :)

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/178000-178999/178545_24_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/178000-178999/178545_34_full.jpg

Most of them on CarDomain.com look REALLY UGLY though :rofl:

DUBBED
05-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by lammer

civics are meant for daily driving too..its not for performance so why does it matter what car he "juices" up.

i beg to differ...

ExtremeSi
05-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
[B]
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/178000-178999/178545_24_full.jpg

It's got two spoilers!!:dunno: why why why do they do that???:dunno:

chrisgushue
05-10-2003, 07:29 PM
almost all sunfire aftermarket spoilers consist of leaving the original..why? who knows its ugly as hell, just liek the rest of the car, and every sunfire"done up" in calgary has the same kit and spoiler, ive seen like 5 of them, ugly

ZorroAMG
05-11-2003, 03:05 AM
Not to start a flame war or to say anything negative towards all of your cars, but what we have here is an argument between a sinfire owner, a VW Golf owner, a Civic owner who all seem to think that their cars are all in completely different classes than a Sunfire. They really aren't. A body kit looking good on ANY vehicle is as subjective as wheels. One can FI a sunfire most likely as effectively as a cvic or golf so I don't see how everyone can hate on J-bodies so much. The cars are all similar. Of course i am not comparing a VR6 or 1.8T to the sunfire or civic because they are not the same, but the base models are. Play nice people...

lammer
05-11-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by chrisgushue
almost all sunfire aftermarket spoilers consist of leaving the original..why? who knows its ugly as hell, just liek the rest of the car, and every sunfire"done up" in calgary has the same kit and spoiler, ive seen like 5 of them, ugly

dude you gotta seriously stop thinking that civics are badass. its not like you dont' see 5 ugly civics every other day either..

three.eighteen.
05-11-2003, 03:24 AM
yes they have quite a bit of torque, they are ass ugly, and the suspension is the worst of all sport compacts...rear torsion bar = :barf:

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 09:26 AM
why??? they have alot of hp and they have a sleek look for there price. doesnt tAKe much to juice one up.

they have a lot of hp but its in all the wrong places. powerband is teh suck. as for sleekness....well saturns are sleek too. so?

no i mean souping it it dude.

u "soup up" your sunfire while the rest of us "mod" our cars...

bottom line, jbodies are a bad way to start modding, and the drivers are usually dangerous dinks on the road.

sunfiredude
05-11-2003, 10:26 AM
man, modding is modding, wtf do u mean they are a bad way to start modding, you mod anything and you start to learn, isnt that a reason why we mod our cars, is to learn shit about our cars as we go?

keep "modding" your "toyota shitox", and wtf do u mean dangerous dinks on the roads? lol how the fuck can just us be bad drivers, your fukin stoopidd

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by sunfiredude
man, modding is modding, wtf do u mean they are a bad way to start modding, you mod anything and you start to learn, isnt that a reason why we mod our cars, is to learn shit about our cars as we go?

keep "modding" your "toyota shitox", and wtf do u mean dangerous dinks on the roads? lol how the fuck can just us be bad drivers, your fukin stoopidd what i mean is that jbodies do not have much potential. it is modded more because its cheap than because it is a good car to work on. for example - its fwd. theres a huge limiting factor right there. another example pointed out by 318 - its suspension is ancient. it takes A LOT of money to make up for these significant shortcomings.

also, the reason for modding is not only to learn about cars. call me crazy, but i think modding is to make a car perform better. the problem with modding a jbody is that its just not worth it when it comes to what u can do with your money.

and as for the dangerous drivers in sunfires comment, you should learn to read properly. but taking your reading disabilities into account, ill spell it out for u. no, not all bad drivers drive jbodies, and not all jbody drivers are bad drivers either, but for some reason it seems that a lot of jbody drivers love driving like idiots, moreso than the drivers of other kinds of cars. why is this? cuz generally speaking, the people that cant afford any more than a jbody and dont know any better than to buy a jbody are usually punk highschool kids that are infatuated with "pimpin" which to them means cutting ppl off and painting their interiors.

and dont bother changing the subject to what i drive because its a cult car even though its 20 years old. u dont see anybody talking about 20 year old jbodies now do u? thats right, u dont.

chrisgushue
05-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by lammer

dude you gotta seriously stop thinking that civics are badass. its not like you dont' see 5 ugly civics every other day either..
when did i say a civic was badass? ive never seen one nice sunfire, ive seen tons of nice civics, and some ugly ones, this site is about opinions and im just sharing mine, and u put words in my mouth:dunno:

Fluidic
05-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Look at this guy, he looks like a fucking tool-box!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/111000-111999/111035_54_full.jpg

"Hi, I own a Shitfire -- I hate it"

izzoblitzo
05-11-2003, 01:12 PM
its true. I mean, isnt driving in itself judgement? To be judgemental about cars, or in general basically puts you in a catagory to put likes, dislikes, and preferences. A j-body, although may be limited in aftermarket parts, is getting better. In so many ways, I hate how theres all these typical Andretti wannabes using these cars on city streets like they're in formula 1's. But at the same time, I also feel that with more and more of these cars being purchased, widely known, there will be more parts for these cars. It wasnt till maybe the last few years ago, when the cavalier got its first 'selection' of body kits, and up until recently, the sunfire.

A cavalier/sunfire doesnt have the luxury option of an engine swap available. Unless we all get the 2.2 and switch it up with a 2.4 or something. Civics wernt really 'respected' as a decent car a few years back, only as reliable A-B car.

modding cars is up to your judgement of what you 'like/want'. Who says it couldnt be fun to mod a jbod anyway? I think if you enjoy it, and at the end of the day, your satisfied with your work, then hey, what the heck.

I mean, if I went out and bought a kia to be a little different, I'd have to wait another few years to get body kits and non-universal performance mods. But like the cavalier/sunfire, its getting there, albeit limited.

lightsout
05-11-2003, 05:41 PM
com on now gusy sunfires look sweet with a body kit frig stop boning over it.....

its only a car didnt come in and start dissing your shit.

ecstasy_civic
05-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Look at this guy, he looks like a fucking tool-box!

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/111000-111999/111035_54_full.jpg

"Hi, I own a Shitfire -- I hate it"

:clap: he looks really impressed with his car, doesnt he:dunno: :rofl:

lightsout
05-11-2003, 05:53 PM
his car looks nice i think. who cars what he looks liek at least he has a nice looking car.

Ferio_vti
05-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Problem with this thread, no offence, was the way you started out. Its not that its bad to like or own a sunfire, but the fact that you can on here a n00b and started off by telling us how great the car is, etc.

What you should have done was prove how good a job you can do to your own Sunfire.

Good example, majority of us prefer Imports, but there's been few domestic owner on here who have pulled their own and have proven their worth. Ranging from Probes, which at one point were constantly flamed, to bol's pimp truck.
It may not make all of us start liking domestics, but at least we get to see some nicely put together cars outside of our personal tastes.

Don't come on here at preach the word and expect us to be nodding heads and say 'Amen' to what you've just posted.

Simply put it, actions speak louder than words.
So what have you done to the ol' Sunfire lately??

ConVict
05-11-2003, 06:11 PM
I am not going to start saying this car this, this car that. Its all preference and you can like what you want and you can hate what you hate.

To be honest I have seen more pieces of crap civics with thugs in them then Cavaliers or Sunfires. But at the same time both of those cars are put together so cheap so they can sell them to kids who cant afford anything else.

My opinion on the Sunfire in the pick is... Well quite frankly looks like ass. :dunno:

Do what ever you want to what ever car you own. No one can take the fact you enjoy it away from you. If it blows up going around a corner at 15km, well sucks to be you I guess. Least you died happy. :thumbsup:

lightsout
05-11-2003, 06:12 PM
that was pics of my friends i dont have any pics of mine but resently i just put clear tale lights on and a body kit. i was just saying that they r a really nice looking car didnt think it would offend u guys that much. sorry.

Ben
05-11-2003, 06:16 PM
that was pics of my friends i dont have any pics of mine but resently i just put clear tale lights on and a body kit. i was just saying that they r a really nice looking car didnt think it would offend u guys that much. sorry.

To each their own...you said yourself that they were "owning the block now what u guys think". THey told you what we thought and now you get defensive and depressed.

:dunno:

Life sucks.

04blackMAX
05-11-2003, 07:39 PM
its kinda funny thats a 1994-1995 civic SI coupe is pretty much going fpor what a new sunfire is...LOL

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
its kinda funny thats a 1994-1995 civic SI coupe is pretty much going fpor what a new sunfire is...LOL well the civic is a better car thats all..

l/l/rX
05-11-2003, 10:33 PM

i kinda like them.

hmm IMO sunfires arent owning much, cept for various civics and such. but now with all these car enthusiats modding out their cars, they're going to give your sunfires a fight.
and IMO again sunfires arent owning much in the "looks" department either.

just my 2cents

4CylFiero
05-11-2003, 10:54 PM
In all honesty i wouldn't buy another domestic in my life i think their cosmetics has gone to shit. The engines are not that bad with some help, there are quad 4 built ups that produce reliable horse and torque. Just like you guys and your LS block and vtec combinations. No one goes all out to prove that person an idiot.

Lightout I advise you to do something to that piece of an engine. Reliablity is an issue i know i have a 2.3 HO quad in the back yard. Whether you have an 2.2 or a 2.4 the engines are still not that great. If they were they wouldn't have dropped the 2.4 for the 2.2 ecotec. GM is behind in technology comon their just getting into variable valve timing.

Check it out their are a couple of sites out there that can turn your car into 220HP RELAIBLE HP with swaps from other Quad 4 parts.

chrisgushue
05-11-2003, 11:14 PM
offlimitz_chick

What I drive: A 2002 Sunfire ~ it sucks!
Posts/Day: 0.81

see even the owners of these cars hate them and its a brand new car

RiceCake
05-12-2003, 12:58 AM
What I can't stand about domestics are their crappy resale value.... went to the dealership, 2002 sunfire GTs go for about $23-25 K new.... look in the Herald and you will see 2000-2001 models for $10K or less.

I still wouldn't be caught dead owing one though...

04blackMAX
05-12-2003, 01:05 AM
yeah 23k for a new one, but with most cars u can haggle, iam sure you could talk them down to like 13,000 hahahaha..i mean just say dood its a sunfire hahaha

GingeRRRBeef
05-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by 4CylFiero
In all honesty i wouldn't buy another domestic in my life i think their cosmetics has gone to shit. The engines are not that bad with some help, there are quad 4 built ups that produce reliable horse and torque. Just like you guys and your LS block and vtec combinations. No one goes all out to prove that person an idiot.

Lightout I advise you to do something to that piece of an engine. Reliablity is an issue i know i have a 2.3 HO quad in the back yard. Whether you have an 2.2 or a 2.4 the engines are still not that great. If they were they wouldn't have dropped the 2.4 for the 2.2 ecotec. GM is behind in technology comon their just getting into variable valve timing.

Check it out their are a couple of sites out there that can turn your car into 220HP RELAIBLE HP with swaps from other Quad 4 parts.

I wonder if lightsout has any clue to what you are talking about???

SmelltheRubber
05-12-2003, 01:20 AM
haha, welcome to beyond noob

DUBBED
05-12-2003, 01:55 AM
yeah you're lucky...

you met all the assholes in ur first thread!!

it took me at least ten to meet GTS Jeff!!'

lol just jks.... :D

refer to this thread for evidence

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15666

JustinL
05-12-2003, 09:44 AM
That sunfire has a nice gauge pod.... why there are no gauges in the pod is a different question.

And guys, lighten up on the rear torsion bars!;) There are some good cars out there with that setup.

Justin

GTS Jeff
05-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by JustinL
That sunfire has a nice gauge pod.... why there are no gauges in the pod is a different question.

And guys, lighten up on the rear torsion bars!;) There are some good cars out there with that setup.

Justin :werd: torsion bar represent!

lightsout
05-12-2003, 12:59 PM
this is the biggest freak out i have ever seen over 1 car holy shit.....

Fluidic
05-12-2003, 01:10 PM
It's only because Sunfires are garbage. :D

Sell your car and then come back here on Beyond -- you will feel that much better! ;)

Peter

lightsout
05-12-2003, 02:10 PM
man i am trying to buy a street bike i dont have a sunfire if u read the start of my thread u would clearly see that i sadi sunfires look nice friging god.
my parents own a sunfire.
and so do a couplke of my friends but i dotn have one.

GingeRRRBeef
05-12-2003, 02:23 PM
yo lightsout

how old are you?????

Barlow
05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
imo: It depends cause there are civic haters that say all civics look the same when done up and then theirs me that says every sunfire done up looks the smae cav's fit in to the sunfire group too.

Speed_RaSiR
05-13-2003, 04:44 PM

i kinda like them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Freebs
03-18-2004, 02:15 AM
yea say all you want about sunfires, but seeing how stock sunfires beet civic's, intergras (not Type r), rsx(not type s) mazda 6's jettas, the list goes on, you put a sunfire Gt up to any of thougs (all stock) and sunfire comes up on top every time. i know as i have raced all of the above cars. So say what you want about Sunfires but when a stock sunfire beets most stock cars out there that just says it all.

Freebs
03-18-2004, 02:17 AM
also if you dont belive me just take a look at the Horsepower to weight ratio for all the cars. granted my sunfire isnt stock but im sure stock sunfires can still take out stock civics, integras ect...

Redlyne_mr2
03-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Sunfires aren't drag cars, neither are civics, mazda 6s, jettas etc...theyre all at various levels of slow. Not saying theyre crappy cars but basing a car on what it can beat on the street holds no validity

Ben
03-18-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks for resurrecting a year old thread to add your slice of ignorance and Sunflower Pride

MoNKeE
03-18-2004, 04:10 AM
my ex gf drives a sunfire gt and its the slowest most unworthy piece of shit have ever driven. the thing feels like its gonna roll over on ever corner you cna take at a decent speed.

heavyD
03-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Sunfires & Cavaliers are built on the prehistoric GM J-body that has been around since the early 80's. Since they have had 20+ years to refine it, it can be reliable as a daily driver since they sell new for dirt cheap and have no resale value so you can pick up two of them for the price of a used civic of the same year.

They sould never be used in the same sentence as "performance car" as they are cummuter cars and nothing more. They look like shit, drive like shit, and perform like shit. What happens when you add a big spoiler and body kit to an ass ugly car? You get an ugly car personified. For all of the riced out, slow ass civics out there at least there are a few fast civic hybrids that can walk the walk. I'm assuming the guy that started this thread was just joking because if he wasn't he get's my William Hung "stupid" award.

habsfan
03-18-2004, 09:17 AM
a friend of mine owns a 2001 Cavalier Z24, he's had it for about 7 months at best, and he's trading it for a 96 integra....

xkon
03-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Freebs
yea say all you want about sunfires, but seeing how stock sunfires beet civic's, intergras (not Type r), rsx(not type s) mazda 6's jettas, the list goes on, you put a sunfire Gt up to any of thougs (all stock) and sunfire comes up on top every time. i know as i have raced all of the above cars. So say what you want about Sunfires but when a stock sunfire beets most stock cars out there that just says it all.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

they're still chick cars IMO, every girl 16-21 seems to have one!

ZorroAMG
03-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
What happens when you add a big spoiler and body kit to an ass ugly car? You get an ugly car personified.

Dude, how does a spoiler and a body kit make a car come alive or be representative of a human being?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you mean PERSONALIZED

FUCK I just realized I kept this gay thread going...:barf:

1badPT
03-18-2004, 11:41 AM
In my opinion, the Sunfire is not a bad car for tuning as long as you get the current gen Sunfire.

The current sunfires have the Ecotec engine - which I believe is one of the few good things that have came out of GM lately. You could buy a Sunfire, a Hahn Race Craft Turbo kit, maybe work on the brakes and suspension a bit and still be well below $30K.

I like most of the design cue changes made for the current gen Sunfires. The front looks more agressive - almost hawk like:
http://www.rebbec.com/04%20Sunfire.jpg

But they screwed up the rear - If I could put this rear on a current gen sunfire, then I think it would be as perfect as it could be for under 15K.
http://morpheen.com/photos/new_sunfire/rear_end_01.jpg

QuasarCav
03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, seeing as this thread has already been raised....

Heavy D was pretty right on, IMO. As long as you realize your car is average and it serves it's purpose well as a daily driver then there is no harm. the problem is the :barf: body kits and spoilers thrown on a mediocre car don't change it's average handling, accel, and I think below average build quality.

I like my car for what it is, A daily driver with friendly low-end torque that gets me around town affordably. After driving it for a while I realize the build quality sucks (everything squeeks,rattles, shimmies, you name it!).

So If you cant afford a new civic or a new (insert desirable car here) buy a cavy/ugfire, just don't think it is something it isn't.

heavyD
03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Dude, how does a spoiler and a body kit make a car come alive or be representative of a human being?

FUCK I just realized I kept this gay thread going...:barf:

definition: To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” (A.J.P. Taylor).

Slick,

You seem to have something personal against me. Would you like to settle this in person? Because I'm getting a bit tired of you. My little brother Hollywood told me about you and you slick dressing habits, you don't know me and I suggest you keep it that way.:whipped:

Evo_Art7
03-18-2004, 01:27 PM
My moms drives a 99 sunfire GT. So many problems, the starter has gone twice and the alternator once, and the ignition is messed. The traction control is broken. its just messed. personally to me i hate Sunfires, there a college girls car i think anyway.

JettaJon17
03-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Ok, i am very worked up about this... I cannot belive any straight white male would ever purchace such a pile of shit. Even if I was inherited such a piece a shit I would promply sell or trade it in. I wouldnt even test drive it. The only reason I would drive it would be to take it to the junk yard where it belongs or off of a cliff. It has girl car written all over it...I could go on for pages but i ll make this simple, If u dont want ur ass kicked by a bunch of gay bashers i would sell immeadiatly.:thumbsdow

szw
03-18-2004, 09:06 PM

You are correct using the definition of personification that we all learned in jr high, however the word can also be used to describe examples of something.

edit: someone beat me to it, didn't see it at first sorry.

Ducati
03-19-2004, 12:09 AM
"I like my car for what it is, A daily driver with friendly low-end torque that gets me around town affordably. After driving it for a while I realize the build quality sucks (everything squeeks,rattles, shimmies, you name it!).

So If you cant afford a new civic or a new (insert desirable car here) buy a cavy/ugfire, just don't think it is something it isn't."

QuasarCav is right. The new Sunfire/Cav with the new EcoTec is a better car than the old ones. I would not waste my money hopping one up, tho. I would rather start with a better building block, like a Honda.

Fuck It! If I wanted a fast cheap(ish) car I would go for the Nissan Skyline, or ideally an AWD Talon or Eclipse...just my preferences.
I really dont think the little GM's are horrible cars, tho. You get what you pay for. And yes, the depreciation sucks - which makes a well kept 2002 model a great buy.

Cheap cars for young buyers have been around since the Model A Roadster. They have their place.

ZorroAMG
03-19-2004, 04:44 AM

definition: To be the embodiment or perfect example of: “Stalin now personified bolshevism in the eyes of the world” (A.J.P. Taylor).

Slick,

You seem to have something personal against me. Would you like to settle this in person? Because I'm getting a bit tired of you. My little brother Hollywood told me about you and you slick dressing habits, you don't know me and I suggest you keep it that way.:whipped:

Oh for fuck sakes Heavy D, there is nothing personal on an internet forum, chill out. I don't think I've replied to a post of yours for a couple of months :rolleyes: I am also glad to hear that Hollywood talks about my "dressing habits" to you...whoopity fucking do. What does my fashion sense have to do with ANYTHING in this thread, or anything I have posted to you? Have a coke and a smile.:rofl:

heavyD
03-19-2004, 08:43 AM

Oh for fuck sakes Heavy D, there is nothing personal on an internet forum, chill out. I don't think I've replied to a post of yours for a couple of months :rolleyes: I am also glad to hear that Hollywood talks about my "dressing habits" to you...whoopity fucking do. What does my fashion sense have to do with ANYTHING in this thread, or anything I have posted to you? Have a coke and a smile.:rofl:

I just asked him about you because when someone is dogging me I like to know who or what he is about. I don't fuck around. I get so tired of how tough people act in front of their computers or inside their cars, etc. When someone fingers me in their car, I follow them where they usually run into their house, drive to the local police station, or the guys that actually have balls get out, only to back up once I get out of my car. The Searail transport (they screwed with my car in transport) manager has a police file on me as I was close to breaking his legs. I don't fuck around! I don't mind people having a bit of fun but don't hassle me on a continuous basis as I have a short fuse. If you disagree with what I say about a car fine but leave it at that. And please don't critique my grammar when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about in the first place!!!!!:closed:

ZorroAMG
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by szw

You are correct using the definition of personification that we all learned in jr high, however the word can also be used to describe examples of something.

edit: someone beat me to it, didn't see it at first sorry.

I am glad you learned something in Jr High, but picking the correct side of an argument certainly wasn't one of them. Yes, an object can have human like qualities, but I was simply pointing out that the example HeavyD used was incorrect. (his second example of stalin was correct however, because he used a person, not a sunfire, but it did not strengthen his argument of inanimate objects and their personification) Spoilers and body kits are not human qualities or traits so how does adding them to an ugly car make the car personified? It doesn't, and that is all I was saying so please don't patronize me when you are wrong. :)

I realize we're off topic and I apologize for that....just had to make my point...carry on with the Jbody bashing LOL

HillBilly
03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
The sunfire is a nice looking little compact.
It is NOT;
a sports car
a high horsepower car
a fast car

It IS;
an economy car.

When I think of high horsepower, I think 400+. Not 140.

heavyD
03-19-2004, 11:17 AM

I am glad you learned something in Jr High, but picking the correct side of an argument certainly wasn't one of them. Yes, an object can have human like qualities, but I was simply pointing out that the example HeavyD used was incorrect. (his second example of stalin was correct however, because he used a person, not a sunfire, but it did not strengthen his argument of inanimate objects and their personification) Spoilers and body kits are not human qualities or traits so how does adding them to an ugly car make the car personified? It doesn't, and that is all I was saying so please don't patronize me when you are wrong. :)

I realize we're off topic and I apologize for that....just had to make my point...carry on with the Jbody bashing LOL

As SZW said I used the word correctly and really who fucking cares? You are seriously a dork.:werd:

switch
03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
I hate sunfires almost as much as I hate neons.

They serve a purpose: econo-boxes for 18 yr old girls.

szw
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Well I thought he was right but now I'm not sure. I remember the definition is that a person or THING can be 'something personified' which means a perfect example of something.

I just remember it was different from the literary use with the blah blah blah that didn't really have anything to do with the 'human traits' definition. What that guy said sounded familiar.

I could be wrong but whatever, i'll look it up 20 years from now and never use the word until then!

jbodies still suck.

QuasarCav
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by switch

They also serve another purpose, car for people who cannot afford a new import!!

If I was the typical newbie to the car world with between 12-14k to spend on a NEW car what I would buy.

For the cash I think they are a good value, what makes them suck is that they are an average car with poor styling, horrible resale and less than desirable handling/accel.

But they make up for that with: low purchase price, cheap parts, warranty coverage, easy to find. I think some of the justifacation to buy one comes from the parents who proably finance the damn things.

now if your buying a j-body because it is a "performance car" than fine j-bodies do suck, but if you are buying one because you want a car with no frills, cheap on insurance and will be covered if it breaks for 4 or more years then they don't suck. In fact i would say they fit the bill quite nicely.

{readys self for impending attack}

HillBilly
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

They also serve another purpose, car for people who cannot afford a new import!!

If I was the typical newbie to the car world with between 12-14k to spend on a NEW car what I would buy.

For the cash I think they are a good value, what makes them suck is that they are an average car with poor styling, horrible resale and less than desirable handling/accel.

But they make up for that with: low purchase price, cheap parts, warranty coverage, easy to find. I think some of the justifacation to buy one comes from the parents who proably finance the damn things.

now if your buying a j-body because it is a "performance car" than fine j-bodies do suck, but if you are buying one because you want a car with no frills, cheap on insurance and will be covered if it breaks for 4 or more years then they don't suck. In fact i would say they fit the bill quite nicely.

I agree with you completely.

switch
03-19-2004, 12:25 PM

Agreed.

Ducati
03-20-2004, 02:22 AM
This Sunfire thing sure invokes a lot of emotion, doesn't it.

Two people who post what I feel are well thought out posts at each other - Heavy D and Zorro AMG.

Fer Gawd sakes, this is a Car forum, not Grammar school.
And thanks for the warning about the finger thing. What colour & year is your Eclipse, so I dont flip off anyone in a car of that description, and have you follow me home.

Neither of you are dicks. One of you might be in need of antipsycotic medication, however. I dont know who...hmmm.I just dont know who...

Scott
03-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Meh, i like mine. Its not a race car, but lowered with good tires, it handles well. My only complaint is the lack of independent rear suspension. I believe it would handle a lot better with that, but its good enough for me.

Personally, i like the looks, and i am happy with it. But my opinion is only one of millions....

rice_eater
03-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by switch

well buddy, not all of us are handed down nice cars by our parents, or just show up here showing off their rides.

LudeRoca
03-20-2004, 05:27 PM
SUNFIRES ARE CRAP. I don't care what anybody says about em. If i pulled up to some guy in a "souped up" sunfire i'd cry and then laugh. Those cars are not meant to be modded. They have shitty engines and they look like ass. NO matter how much you mod a sunfire it will always be a sunfire. Thats just my opinion. You sunfire lovers can flame me all you want. My grandpa drives a sunfire and its a piece of shit. Domestic compacts should not be modded. Again thats my personal opinion.

LudeRoca
03-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

You drive a sunfire. Lets go race and c if you have that same opinion after we're done. YOu say you can beat civic's integra's. Preludes fit in the same category. Ive raced a couple sunfires and torn them a new asshole.

turbo_equiped
03-20-2004, 06:12 PM
hahah
i saw a black sunfire outside my school with two wings..
like the normal one which is there..and he put another one over there..
hahah i couldnt stop laughing...
looked like piece of shyt....

Ridelikeme
03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
sunfires and cavs are fucking throw away cars... they are hideous.. you drive them for the term of your lease and kick them.. they are cheap and thats why they are everywhere... pplus they look like they have downs

T5_X
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Everyone is basically saying modding a j body is retarded because they are economy cars, but most of the same people would not frown on modding a civic or golf. Fact is the brand new ones probably have the nicest standard powertrain of any stock economy compact. The new ecotec and the getrag tranny are awesome. I really can't say the same about the rest of the car though. Things will get much better when the cobalt comes out.

Ducati
03-20-2004, 09:18 PM
"They have shitty engines and they look like ass"
That is one persons' opinion.

"The new ecotec and the getrag tranny are awesome. I really can't say the same about the rest of the car though. Things will get much better when the cobalt comes out."
...and another.

The J-body is at the end of its' design run. It served its purpose. My girlfriend has 292000 km on her 1990 Sunbird, and it has served her well. (its is time to junk it soon, tho.) The new EcoTec engine is an excellent engine, that was designed by engineers from Opel, Saab and GM for World Car use. It uses the very latest casting technology and tolerances are amongst the most precise in the industry. I believe that the EcoTec will eventually become a legendary motor - but will it become legendary for performance potential like GM's small block V8 of the sixties, or known for bulletproof reliability like Dodge's Slant 6?

This argument has posts from knowledgeable technically minded people with opinions pro and con. and from idiots who between the both of them are a halfwit. If you are going to criticize a car, it would be good to give sound reasons more valid that " (insert model) is the best, fuck the rest". That argument betrays you as mindless and pathetic.

I am not saying the Honda is better. It is the better built car, though. The J-body is cheap to buy and cheap to operate. It is not a performance car. In its next iteration, it very well may be, though.

heavyD
03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
In its next iteration, it very well may be, though.

Don't bet on it. GM has sold a ton of J bodies and it has served them well. Not because they are good cars, but because they are cheap. If they decide they are going to pump some performance into them, the cost will increase to the point they will cost as much as a civic or corolla. Then they will sell very few as those car including the Mazda Protoge already outsell the J bodies in Canada at a higher price. The ecotec is far better than the quad4 but it is still another vanilla n/a four cylinder in a sea of many at a time when displacement is coming back in a big way.

T5_X
03-20-2004, 10:19 PM

Don't bet on it. GM has sold a ton of J bodies and it has served them well. Not because they are good cars, but because they are cheap. If they decide they are going to pump some performance into them, the cost will increase to the point they will cost as much as a civic or corolla. Then they will sell very few as those car including the Mazda Protoge already outsell the J bodies in Canada at a higher price. The ecotec is far better than the quad4 but it is still another vanilla n/a four cylinder in a sea of many at a time when displacement is coming back in a big way.

Actually, the Cobalt/G6 are going to use a shared platform, much like the one in ford's upcoming focus, the current mazda 3 and volvo s40. This means they can mass produce a very well built chassis at a lower price than other manufacturers. The platform is already out, in the saturn ion. Its called the delta platform. From what I've read, it is an extremely rigid chassis and handling is sharp. They keep the torsion bar rear suspension, but its not like a car can't handle well without IRS.

The first "performance" version is coming out very shortly, the saturn ion redline coupe. A preliminary test by C&D sounded promising with the performance, they just basically said the suspension may be a little too soft, the car understeers too much (easy fix with bigger rear anti roll bar) and a limited slip is not present, but may be in the future.

barmanjay
03-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Man

It's unreal as to how many people have such strong opinions on the J-bod.

I've owned hondas, Toyota's, VW's, high hp GM's, Ford's, Cryslers and even a Volvo, now I own a 92 Z24, and am enjoying it.

it is a cheap car, handles fairly well, but like any other car, a suspension package can fix it.

The new J-bod's aren't bad. I prefer the new Cavalier over the sunfire, and the new Cobalt may be a huge success, who knows.

just to correct you a little:

pre 88 - 1st gen
88-94 - 2nd gen
95+ - 3rd gen

I've owned such a variety of cars im my life, I just don't care anymore, except for what I like; and right now I like my 92 Z24, and who's to say that won't change in a year or so. I've always liked the V6 growl the gm built 3.1 has. As to adding HP - can be made really easily, if anyone is interested, the crank and pistons of a 3.4 fit right in (really just a longer stroke crank and shallow pistons), perf cam (once again longer stroke). can add quite a bit of hp.

there are some guys that will tune up heir j-bod's to run extremely well, I'll post a couple of sites to see, these are dam fast cars:

http://www.turboz24.com/

http://z24sc.8m.com/clips.html

I really like japanese imports, like i said I've owned some

and VW's I've owned some of those too

Everyone seems to be voicing their opinion and so shall I (neutral). And I won't be prejudice against any other vehicle or a persons choice in a vehicle; I won't sub-consciously teach my kids to be prejudice. I love cars; all types of cars.
I remember when I owned a honda, I hated everything else, and same goes for when I owned a VW, and Volvo. Now that I've grown (and have kids) I just don't have any strong opinions anymore. I like anything that's tastefully modded. There are pro's and cons to every single car manufacturer out there. What ppl do to their cars is their business not ours, we didn't buy their cars for them. If they love their cars, all the power to them, If they hate what they bought - too bad so sad.

I got lucky with my car, engine and body are in good shape (not a gm lemon).

besides I thought beyond.ca was for car enthusiasts, not car bashing. If you really, really, really hate J-bod's or anyother type or manufacturer, maybe start a web-site, and do bashing in there.

I won't tell you that my car is better than yours because you like your car, and I won't tell you that your car is better than mine, because I like my car.

aftermarket
03-21-2004, 11:00 AM

Well said.:werd:

aftermarket
03-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay

besides I thought beyond.ca was for car enthusiasts, not car bashing. If you really, really, really hate J-bod's or anyother type or manufacturer, maybe start a web-site, and do bashing in there.

I won't tell you that my car is better than yours because you like your car, and I won't tell you that your car is better than mine, because I like my car. .

Great post. That needed to be said.