PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: help selecting a camera.

stevieo
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
So christmas is right around the corner and I'm thinking about picking up a camera for my dad. He has a 3.2 Megapixel camera he bought a very long time ago. (3-4 years I believe its a sony something something) but anything, I'm thinking about upgrading him to a newer camera since he likes taking lots of pictures of family and he goes on vacation quite a bit with my mom so he likes to take lots of scenery pictures.

anyways, I've kinda settled in on the 3-400 dollar range for him (This is my gift to him not something hes buying..) the 3-4 hundred range isn't including the extras - I'll be getting him a bigger memory card, maybe better batteries if it doesn't come with good ones, and maybe a case

I've been reading up on the Canon A630 and the SD630. I dont know much about cameras (all that ISO crap and such, BUT I am very willing to learn so I can teach my dad all the features and how to use them)

I know the SD630 is smaller than the A630, it has a bigger LCD screen, 6.0 Megapixel and some manual features. Whereas the A630 is bigger, 8mp, I'm also guessing it has more "manual" features? (I've also read some reviews, the sd630 battery life isn't great cause of the 'bigger' screen..and what not)

Anyways, most of the time I'm guessing it will be used for point-shoot, but there will be times where my dad would like to try his hand at better photography (I know this isn't anywhere near the level of camera you guys use reaching the point of 1000 dollars plus!) (My dad also likes to send photos to his family in Austrailia, Vietnam and in USA so I'm sure having some features he can play aroudn with would be nice)

I'm going to check out the cameras tonight and probably check out some prices around town and purchase it within a few days so if you guys can help me out with choosing a camera would be awesome. Also weightin some pros and cons of the cameras.

ALSO, I've narrowed it down to these 2 cameras, if there are BETTER cameras within this range please let me know I will listen to all opinions you guys have because you guys are the experts here :D

(I will also be using the camera from time to time and trying my hand at some 'photography' :angel: )

Thanks in advance,

stevieo

lint
11-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd suggest checking out the reviews at www.dpreview.com for the cameras, and heading down to the camera store to play around with them and to ask the sales guys about the differences between the 2. I think it really comes down to super compact (sd630) vs manual features/controls (a630). Can't really go wrong with either camera when it comes to image quality, it'll come down to what your dad likes to hold in his hand. If either of you want to get more into photography, having some manual controls to learn with can only help.

For battery life issues, just pick up some spares. Can't go wrong with the price and quality of replacements from www.sterlingtek.com

stevieo
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
thanks for the links, lint.

anyways I will be heading out in a bit to test out the cameras, get a hold ge ta feel and hopefully make a good purchase soon.

Mitsu3000gt
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I think you can pick up a Canon S2IS for around $400. IMO that is the best bang for your buck camera available. Awesome movie mode, which you can take stills during and zoom during. 5mp, amazing macro mode, 12X optical zoom, etc. etc.

The S3IS is out now but its hardly different from the S2IS.

stevieo
11-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I think you can pick up a Canon S2IS for around $400. IMO that is the best bang for your buck camera available. Awesome movie mode, which you can take stills during and zoom during. 5mp, amazing macro mode, 12X optical zoom, etc. etc.

The S3IS is out now but its hardly different from the S2IS.

camera looks nice, but it looks huge!

I will give it a look tonight and see how it goes.

Mitsu3000gt
11-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

camera looks nice, but it looks huge!

I will give it a look tonight and see how it goes.

The S3IS is only $449 at The Camera Store, so if that is too much the S2IS should be $400 or less.

The camera isnt that big, but it larger than the super compacts for sure. It is pretty much impossible to get very small size with very good image quality, or a big zoom for that matter.

lint
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
thanks for the links, lint.

anyways I will be heading out in a bit to test out the cameras, get a hold ge ta feel and hopefully make a good purchase soon.

Oh, and since you're considering the SD630, look into the SD700 IS as well. It's a little more than your range, but IS is well worth it IMO.