PDA

View Full Version : Ground wires DO WORK!

Sky
05-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I got some 8 gauge speaker wire and did it myself......surprisingly it does increase PERFORMANCE :thumbsup: I was so close to buying the HyperGroundWire set ........glad I didn't and spent 40 bux rather than over a 100 something:eek: :thumbsdow

ExtremeSi
05-10-2003, 06:35 PM
What kind of performance gains did you notice? I might do this as well.....Do you know where I can find out which wires I need to replace on my car?

EstoMax
05-10-2003, 07:11 PM
it doesnt give more performance. rather it releases the power that was lost with your old ground wires that might have started corroding...

as far as i know.
max

Sky
05-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Lt. Max
it doesnt give more performance. rather it releases the power that was lost with your old ground wires that might have started corroding...

as far as i know.
max

yeah I agree......... not all cars have good grounding.. NEW or OLD cars......but with this mod....you will see small or large gains...

I had better 0-100km/h time :D

ExtremeSi
05-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Ya ...my stock ones are pretty bad looking. Not to mention, somewhere around 12-14 guage wire only. I was just wondering what you noticed Sky.. I think I'll pick me up some wire tomorow. Know a good place?

Sky
05-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I got the 8 gauge at Future Shop....they have 4!! I noticed my stock ground wire are thick,....like 4 gauge...... 8 gauge is fine for me....its less money......I think 4 gauge is too hardcore......and THICK!

GTS Jeff
05-10-2003, 08:51 PM
what sort of gains have u noticed?

Sky
05-10-2003, 08:55 PM
didn't get it dynoed.....and no electronic HP measurment goodies.....I felt better torque troughout for sure

Seanith
05-10-2003, 10:17 PM
how hard was it to set up? 4gauge i think is too thick for sure... how much wiring did you need?

Double0Civic
05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
ya I made a set with 4 gauge wire, I soldered all the ring terminals and all that, and I noticed a difference. but even if you dont notice a difference. its just overall better for your stereo as well. less dimming of interior and head lights, and such.

Sky
05-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
how hard was it to set up? 4gauge i think is too thick for sure... how much wiring did you need?

...It would be the best if u could ground all the points straight to the battery ground......in my case I used only 10 feet.....which is not enough.....thats why I have some components that are connected to the chassis instead to the battery ground.....(hope that works abit)

Took me awhile measuring and making the wires.......install was simple......u need some sand paper to sand those paint down on ur chassis.......

I would say most important grounding is the distributor...engine block...... also do alternator........intake manifold....etc

Seanith
05-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I take it you jack the car up when you install it?

GTS Jeff
05-10-2003, 10:37 PM
yea i think the idea is ground everything asmuch as u can...manifolds, head, tranny, ignition components..

three.eighteen.
05-11-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
yea i think the idea is ground everything asmuch as u can...manifolds, head, tranny, ignition components..

so youre saying just hook up a bunch of wires from stuff in your engine bay to the frame/back to the battery?

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

so youre saying just hook up a bunch of wires from stuff in your engine bay to the frame/back to the battery? errr....im saying hook everything up to the negative terminal OR the chassis...

haha im no electrician, but i figure the more the merrier..

4wheeldrift
05-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Sky
didn't get it dynoed.....and no electronic HP measurment goodies.....I felt better torque troughout for sure Call me a natural skeptic, but I highly doubt replacing your ground wires is going to result in a noticeable increase in anything.

Mckenzie
05-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Call me a natural skeptic, but I highly doubt replacing your ground wires is going to result in a noticeable increase in anything.

I cant find the link, but a BMW was actually dyno tested to increase HP with a grounding kit.

Here is one of the links.

http://www.slipstreamr.com/HGS.asp

rice_eater
05-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I second that...it makes ZERO sense how grounding gives you power...RICE RICE RICE :bullshit:

4wheeldrift
05-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I cant find the link, but a BMW was actually dyno tested to increase HP with a grounding kit.

Here is one of the links.

http://www.slipstreamr.com/HGS.asp Thats some convincing marketing literature, but I see the same claims made by nology hotwires and iridium plugs and other mods that make very little real difference in the cosmic scheme of things. I'm not a trained electrician by any stretch of the imagination, but aren't the ground wires only supposed to bleed off excess charge? They shouldn't be having any impact on the correct amount of current in a circuit, only dangerous excesses.

Ben
05-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Some cars react better to better ground wires, and has SHOWN a small improvement in starting and WOT runs.

I'm dynoing my car this week, how about I change all my grounds and then go back and see if it does anything :dunno:

4wheeldrift
05-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Some cars react better to better ground wires, and has SHOWN a small improvement in starting and WOT runs.

I'm dynoing my car this week, how about I change all my grounds and then go back and see if it does anything :dunno: I'd be interested in seeing those results.

szw
05-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Me too. I read an article with some impressive gains from the ground wires on a Subaru WRX. However it was from a magazine so I don't know how accurate they were.

Sky
05-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
I second that...it makes ZERO sense how grounding gives you power...RICE RICE RICE :bullshit:

Yea like Ben said....not all cars can benefit greatly from better grounding......from my experience....it does work for my Accord..even if its only 1-5hp gain...its still a gain....(I believe its more than 5hp on my Accord) and yea...also brighter head lights :thumbsup:

EstoMax
05-11-2003, 08:10 PM
hmm.. i might just go to an audio store get some 8 gauge copper wire for the hyundai as well lol

max

SpoonEK9@STRD
05-11-2003, 11:27 PM
is it even possible to notice 1-5 hp?

three.eighteen.
05-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9
is it even possible to notice 1-5 hp?

definetly...i remember on cooler nights my mom's minivan used to run with quite a bit more juice, and im sure its not more than a 5 real hp difference in that case

Wildcat
05-12-2003, 12:00 AM
im confused, ive heard someone talk about this before, but i have no idea how it works, or hot it would effect performance at all, if someone knows the gist of it let me know

Wildcat
05-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
im confused, ive heard someone talk about this before, but i have no idea how it works, or hot* it would effect performance at all, if someone knows the gist of it let me know

sorry *how :tongue:

Toma
05-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Ok......

Grounding PROBLEMS are just that. .... problems. YOur computer, fuel pump etc must be grounded properly. If there is resistence in the ground it would be the same as delivering less voltage.

Soooo, potentially, your pump will deliver less volume, your injectors will open and close slower (though most computers have a correction for low battery voltage in their programs), your ignition may fail to fire the plugs.....etc....

Having said all that.... your injectors, fuel pump, computer hardly require anything more then a 16 guage wire each.....anyway....

I also KNOW that you guys cannot feel 1 to 5 hp.....

If you had grounding problems, the thing you would "feel" most would be smoother running and idle, less missing at high loads etc....

If you need ground wires, nice proper ground straps can be had at pick-your-part for .25 each (the thin but wide braided stuff).

Toma

GTS Jeff
05-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Toma
I also KNOW that you guys cannot feel 1 to 5 hp..... why do u say this? i tend to believe that 5hp would be noticeable on a small hp car that weighs very little.

the most extreme example is a golf cart. if u added 5hp to one of those tings it would be twice as fast! on a car putting out 100hp u would be achieving a 5% increase in power, which is noticeable on a car that weighs close to 2000lbs.

i dont know about u, but i can easily feel my car being much slower with a passenger and even when i go from a full tank to an empty tank, or when its really cold out, the engine is a lot louder and has more pull than usual...

speedracer
05-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

sorry *how :tongue:
Just re "edit" your post next time. You don't need to re-post.

Originally posted by Toma
I also KNOW that you guys cannot feel 1 to 5 hp.....
You mean dyno butts are inaccurate? :rofl:

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
why do u say this? i tend to believe that 5hp would be noticeable on a small hp car that weighs very little.

Very little as in a go kart :)

It's doubtful you will feel 1-3 lbs of torque.

Toma
05-12-2003, 02:58 PM
LOL, sorry man, thought most people here drove cars, not lawn tractors ;).... experience has told me that the average car on this site probably makes 120hp and weighs 2700 pounds in street trim.... you ain't gonna feel 3-4hp

Toma

redx2nv
05-12-2003, 03:27 PM
true when i put an intake on my car, it doesnt feel any different just makes a "cooler" noise:thumbsup:

Mckenzie
05-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

And you say this because you are an expert or something....?? :rolleyes:

The reasons that I have heard range from more accurate signals for the ECU's sensors, less strain on your alternator and more energy for spark. Seems far fetched, but some cars get great gains from this, the lowest tested gain I have seen was 6 rwhp for that 240SX. That was a 5% increase in power.

I think on some cars it reduces or eliminates ground loops wich creates false signals for the ECU. Anytime your grounds are insufficient or corroding, that ground path becomes less appealing for current to travel thru. So, some of the current finds it's way thru other ground paths, which may be a better ground elsewhere, and sometimes it might include the grounds used on ECU sensors.

Makes sense to me.

GTS Jeff
05-12-2003, 07:48 PM
u guys should remember to take the "gains" with a grain of salt when the results are from the manufacturers that sell this shit

Mckenzie
05-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Most are from car magazine tests....

But I totally know what you are saying..... obviously they will embelish there products to sell them.