PDA

View Full Version : want to go for snowboard tune/minor repair

Artega
11-29-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm looking for some place to do a little work on it before i start the season. There's some minor scratches on it but nothing major.

I checked sports chek and their minor tune includes hot wax, sharpening and repair for 20 bucks

Abominable offers a complete tune "you know....the works' for 39 bucks. I have no idea what else they do with it and 'the works' isn't very descriptive

have anyone tried either and what's your comments?
Where do you go to do your board work?

98type_r
11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
if you've had the board for more than a season or ride a lot i might consider a base grind just to get rid of the minor scratches and start with a fresh base. otherwise minor scratches aren't worth repairing/the repair won't hold unless it's a big gouge or they remove more material to "patch" the area.
regular waxing and edge sharpening for $20 at sport check should do you just fine. I do all my own work on my boards so i don't know what to expect from their techs, i know they used to do an awful job on sharpening my skates that i never went back.

Gurpy
11-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Minor scratches? Just starting your season? If there's only a few scratches you do realize it's still early in the season and there are rocks...if you're planning on heading out some more after maybe hold off.

Edit: Oh, for actual where to go advice..mountain bike city is the only shop I really trust...I don't really go to shops but if I did i'd go there.

CivicTunr
11-29-2006, 07:54 PM
haha do it yourself :thumbsup:
best thing you can do, i would never trust anyone but mission to touch my snowboard, but they are backed up pretty good i think.

Slashin_
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
i went to a snowboard repir workstop,usally they said base grind at begining of every season cause when storing during spring-authmn the board warps due to weather

give ski celler a call

GTS Jeff
11-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Ski Cellar is where it's at. Get the full meal deal done.

pulse_crx
11-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

I work at ski cellar, bring it to dom , old guy with big mustache, at 17th ave location. He tuned my rock board at the start of the season, and its still faster than my friends brand new boards.

Definatley the best tune up I have got, I used to work at sportmart/sport chek, they both suck for tunes.

Artega
12-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I went the cheap route of going to sport chek

They were willing to do a little p-tex for an extra 5 bucks (instead of the normal $10) and minor tune (wax, sharpen, grind) for $20

hopefully it'll turn out good

but if it doesn't i'll know not to go back again

bulaian
12-01-2006, 05:19 PM

how much does it cost at ski cellar?

ashee
12-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Ski cellar a friend of mine works there, good place. I would definitely not reccomend Sport Check

boarderfatty
12-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I work at Sport Mart as a tech there, and love to do all my own stuff, but i will admit lots of the work most sport mart's do, including some of my own, is only half asses (though it still turns out decent) You have to find a shop with a tech that has a genuine passion for his work and will take care of your stuff, something you usually don't find at any Sport Mart, or Sport Check's where they pay next to nothing in wages

pulse_crx
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

how much does it cost at ski cellar?

I think its $50 for a full tune, or a case of beer if you come talk to them.

dino_martini
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM

+1.

Ski Cellar is the best!