PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs??

Wildcat
05-10-2003, 06:58 PM
When i go in for my spring tune-up im gonna get some new ones, what do u guys recommend? thnx

-Ty

dj_honda
05-10-2003, 07:26 PM
for all imports you should always go for denso or NGK.....i dunno about domestics

the best ones have to be iridium.....imo
i heard about copper but have no experience with them

Wildcat
05-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
for all imports you should always go for denso or NGK.....i dunno about domestics

the best ones have to be iridium.....imo
i heard about copper but have no experience with them

what about bosche plugs? arent platinum tipped plugs the best?

Sky
05-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Denso Iridiums......they are so much $$$ I only got NGK Iridiums:banghead:

GTS Jeff
05-10-2003, 08:43 PM
i use ngk...but whatever just buy the most expensive ones possible...they are cheap anyway

5.9 R/T
05-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Yes, because they're more expensive that must make them better...:rolleyes:

PS the more tips the better, and buy the gold tipped ones, they're more bling bling and it add's to your sticker HP!

dj_honda
05-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

what about bosche plugs? arent platinum tipped plugs the best?

iridium is denser than platinum, so the tip is something like 0.4mm compared to like 1mm for platinum......so you need less voltage for a spark

i have no clue about bosche since nobody in my family has owned a domestic vehicle.....we used bosche in my dads toyota once, and they went pretty quick. its always been NGK for us.......

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Yes, because they're more expensive that must make them better...:rolleyes:

PS the more tips the better, and buy the gold tipped ones, they're more bling bling and it add's to your sticker HP! uh that usually is the rule....notice how an sir is more expensive than a dx? its cuz its better.

Wildcat
05-11-2003, 12:22 AM
so 4 tip iridium= cant go wrong, or does brand really matter? how much for the good ones?

5.9 R/T
05-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
uh that usually is the rule....notice how an sir is more expensive than a dx? its cuz its better.

At what? Going faster yes, fuel economy no, so considering the original purpose of a civic which one really is better? Bad comparison. If you want to buy expensive plugs go right ahead, but the only way you'll see a performance gain is from the loss of weight in your wallet, and there is also a good possibility that you will lose performance. You want to spend extra money, get coloured plug wires, at least you can see those when you lift the hood.

three.eighteen.
05-11-2003, 03:20 AM
you wont really see any power 'gains' by using better spark plugs, until you have some serious power being added...theres no such thing as an ass spark plug really...or at least i havent encountered any kind yet

jdmakkord
05-11-2003, 03:22 AM
uh that usually is the rule....notice how an sir is more expensive than a dx? its cuz its better.

I tried ngk platinums in my accord. Ran like shit, took em out and went back to stock and they ran better. More$$$ is not always better

4wheeldrift
05-11-2003, 07:43 AM
For a high performance car, you are usually better off avoiding platinum plugs. Their resistance is way higher, requiring more energy to get the same intensity of spark as an equivalent copper plug. The only real advantage is they last way longer.

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 09:18 AM

At what? Going faster yes, fuel economy no, so considering the original purpose of a civic which one really is better? Bad comparison. If you want to buy expensive plugs go right ahead, but the only way you'll see a performance gain is from the loss of weight in your wallet, and there is also a good possibility that you will lose performance. You want to spend extra money, get coloured plug wires, at least you can see those when you lift the hood. actually i do have blue ngk plug wires beyatch

Originally posted by jdmakkord

I tried ngk platinums in my accord. Ran like shit, took em out and went back to stock and they ran better. More$$$ is not always better heh yea i knew that. copper all the way.

5.9 R/T
05-11-2003, 12:05 PM
actually i do have blue ngk plug wires beyatch

:clap:

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 12:14 PM
would u like me to paint them black for u?

bol
05-11-2003, 09:58 PM
your camaro a V8? Accel plugs rock for the domestic V8's...

Wildcat
05-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bol
your camaro a V8? Accel plugs rock for the domestic V8's...

for now no.. its still a V6, should i just get something with 4 tips? what material conducts best, gold, platinum, that iridium stuff?

5.9 R/T
05-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

for now no.. its still a V6, should i just get something with 4 tips? what material conducts best, gold, platinum, that iridium stuff?

Any 2 cent brand from parts source or crappy tire will perform the same for your motor, if not better, then any gold plated, 20 tip, infusium fused (it's the leave in I believe in), ceramic coated, jelly plated, 40 dollar spark plug.

As I told YOU before save the money for plug wires (or a better engine).

would u like me to paint them black for u?

Jeff you can do whatever makes you feel good, but stop giving out advice on stuff you don't know about.

GTS Jeff
05-12-2003, 08:25 AM

Any 2 cent brand from parts source or crappy tire will perform the same for your motor, if not better, then any gold plated, 20 tip, infusium fused (it's the leave in I believe in), ceramic coated, jelly plated, 40 dollar spark plug.

Jeff you can do whatever makes you feel good, but stop giving out advice on stuff you don't know about. hm ok.

Mckenzie
05-12-2003, 05:50 PM
I would just stick with the OEM plugs.

That is what the car was designed to run on. That way you will always be sure that the performance is at least what is was when it came out of the factory.

I just took my car in for some work and got the mechanic to put in the OEM NGK Platinum Plugs. $13.50 at NAPA.

rice_eater
05-12-2003, 10:28 PM

If you want to buy expensive plugs go right ahead, but the only way you'll see a performance gain is from the loss of weight in your wallet, and there is also a good possibility that you will lose performance.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
you wont really see any power 'gains' by using better spark plugs, until you have some serious power being added...theres no such thing as an ass spark plug really...or at least i havent encountered any kind yet

Originally posted by Mckenzie
I would just stick with the OEM plugs.

That is what the car was designed to run on. That way you will always be sure that the performance is at least what is was when it came out of the factory.

I just took my car in for some work and got the mechanic to put in the OEM NGK Platinum Plugs. $13.50 at NAPA.

all these guys know their shit...and anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you the same thing...buy regular plugs AND KEEP THEM FRESH!!! As in change them about 30000 km so they are always running nice...you shouldnt need more than OEM...if you really want get some platinums (with ONE electrode) and GAP THEM PROPERLY and they will work perfect for you!!! I used to think more was better two and i looked up some charts comparing the bosh with one electrode and the ones with 4...ZERO POWER GAINS! If you want your car to idle a little smoother then get some good wires! On my car at least idle was noticeably better and the minor fuel economy improvement was a bonus...:thumbsup:

Mckenzie
05-12-2003, 10:46 PM
The added benefit of platinum plugs is that they last longer. They save you the hassle, and the expense of replacing plugs every 30 000 km, with consistent performance. There is no point IMO of buying $5 spark plugs every 30 000 km, and then having to do it again in a few months. I think its more of a convenience factor.

I am not aware of any noticeable hp gains.... and anyone who tells you that the seat-of-the-pants-dyno gives you ~5whp, they are full of it. Its all in the head....

I had original OEM plugs on my car at 156 000km, and I figured it was due for new ones.

hjr
05-12-2003, 11:42 PM
ive got bosch plats in my car, i used to have the bosch tri-supers or whatever, but they were worn out, so i did notice a positive result from my platnums, but it would have been the same with any plug.