PDA

View Full Version : Worst jobs ever

Supa Dexta
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Reading someone else's thread on worst job ever got me thinking. Thats a good idea for a thread.. What has been the worst job you took on working on something?

Myself, I'd actually have to say it was trying to fix the recoil spring on an old lawnmower..ha Sure I've had tons of times that were tricky on cars and bikes and stuff.. But that recoil was the dirtiest, most frustrating thing ever!! I couldn't believe something that small would beat me.. I think I actually threw it away...

Head gasket in a neon wasn't too fun, took a lot longer then we thought going on

And working on some old gate higes on the farm, I had a 3' breaker bar with an 8 foot steel pipe that I was bouncing off of, beofre the nuts let go...

lets hear em...

Arthur Dent
11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Changing auto tranny fluid is kinda gross.

Worst would be cleaning out all the broken glass out of my old Reliant Scimitar plus the dirt, etc that came in after sitting in a field for a year.

Proboscis
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
Changing auto tranny fluid is kinda gross.

Worst would be cleaning out all the broken glass out of my old Reliant Scimitar plus the dirt, etc that came in after sitting in a field for a year.

Working at Pick-n-pull under the rack, cutting rad hoses, draining oil, punching tranny and diff cases during the winter. On the up side was getting new decks, car speakers and old car parts for cheap. You would find on occasion a bag of pot, case of beer and weapons, but the negatives far exceeded the positives.

I did like the smell of burnt ATF, just like vanilla ice cream

awd
11-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Vac truck driver.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-30-2006, 12:45 AM
89-96 pathfinder auto

starter

they put it right under the freakin oil filter, and they run ATF cooling lines around it, so its caked in oil and super hard to get out.

early 90's Q45

starter

damned impossible without a wide array of tools and access to a hoist

lol, I work on lots, but I find hard to change starters bug me the most, for what is supposed to be a simple job, takes far too long, especially on nissans

saladonthebeach
11-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Grabbing my old POS 92 Cavy out of an outdoor storage yard a year back.. I had it there over one winter and pulled it out near the end of winter to ditch it. When I went to go pick it up, I saw mouse turds all over the interior and a few mini-nests made out of old Bargain Finders. lol

The next day, I cleaned out the car after work, using the company shop vac. I used rubber gloves and removed the nests from inside the car and the trunk. The mice even shredded up the factory manual and lived inside the glove compartment. Focken gross, I thought I'd puke for sure. I figured I'd find a few corpses, but I didn't dig around that much. I must have spent hours trying to sanitize the car in order to drive it without wanting an immediate shower and, of course, to make for a decent sell. About three days later, in the morning, I saw this motherfocken mouse sitting on the rear deck inside the car. I could have screamed. Apparently, I didn't locate the "hive" and there were survivors to which more mouse droppings needed to be removed. I gave up and sold the car as parts. When I was ripping the car down, I removed the side skirts and found a huge rust hole on the driver's side 1/4 panel/rocker.. I figured they got into there and took possession of the car.

Asides from that, amongst other shite jobs.. the worse was tuning one of my cars to have the upper rad hose blow out and damn near melt the skin off of my arms. Other times, I'd get mad and make a new dent. The saddest was due to an act of nature.. I had a mint 87 Mustang GT with fresh paint and one night the car got a bit squirrly and I tagged my buddies car. After paying of my friend, I bought replacement parts for my car and went to my sister's acreage to re-skin the front and one corner to get it ready for paint again.. a big gust of wind came out of nowhere and proceeded to kick back the propped hood onto the cowl and bent the shite out of the cowl, hood corners, and hinges. That would have been all fine and dandy under normal circumstances, but the cowl is welded on and not easily changed. I was so pissed, after the new parts and re-paint.. I sold the focken thing, bad luck as it was.

The most recent shite was replacing the starter in my 95 Z24 last winter outside... what a nightmare! I played it smart though, I also replaced the alternator and battery soon after.. one full year later, no problems. :clap:

Cruz
11-30-2006, 02:34 AM
Nothing to do with cars but probably the worst job ever:

Poopsmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poopsmith

http://www.hrwiki.org/images/thumb/7/7b/poopsmith.PNG/220px-poopsmith.PNG

Rockski
11-30-2006, 02:36 AM
i had to bevel from a flat face a pice of 32 inch shed 160 pipe....

shed 80 on 20 inch is aboot 1 inch thick :D

30 * bevel on a pipe thats over an inch thick and a 32 inch diameter O.D (outter diameter).. i had a good 8 hours infront of me

mo_money2supe
11-30-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis

Working at Pick-n-pull ...On the up side was getting new decks, car speakers and old car parts for cheap.

I thought Pick-n-Pull was already dirt cheap? How much cheaper could you get parts for so that it actually makes a difference?

For me, I dunno, I guess changing CV boots on an axle that wouldn't come off of the brake spindle was my toughest experience. Didn't know what the heck I was doing at first, until civicsi (Thanks btw!) gave me advice (via long distance telephone as well), and basically walked me through it. I had the car jacked up for nearly 4 days trying to shove the tripod joint back in by force initially...yeah, it was a dumb idea now that I look back in hindsight, but I truly had no idea what I was supposed to do.

gp36912
11-30-2006, 03:02 AM
worst job i had to do.... i dunno fixing the dif in a old truck. my god i hate the smell of dif fluid, other than that i havn't had any bad jobs :D i enjoyed ripping a engine out and apart :D it was a neon but we made abit of money off of it :D

Supa Dexta
11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Cruz
Nothing to do with cars but probably the worst job ever:

Poopsmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poopsmith

http://www.hrwiki.org/images/thumb/7/7b/poopsmith.PNG/220px-poopsmith.PNG

Bah thats nuthing,, I was even doing that on my summer vacation.. ha.. Joys of living on a farm I guess.. I've always way rather do that, then do the dishes or some crap in the house..

ogpog
11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
One of my worst jobs was swapping a "working" NP231 Transfer case into a buddies jeep while it was stuck in a nice mud hole out at Mclean. It was just below freezing point, and it was pretty much already dark out. Coldest, most unenjoyable job yet.

DoubleLP
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Worst job ever....dating my ex.

97'Scort
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by awd
Vac truck driver.

You don't have to be a success to suck cess :thumbsup:

ashee
11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Worst job was working for HBC trying to promote their stupid credit card.

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Manually digging a trench 140 ft in mostly clay soil.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/Trench1.jpg (http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/Trench.jpg)

Honda_002
11-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
Worst job ever....dating my ex.
no kidding:rofl:

ashee
11-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Why is this in general car/bike talk?

stevieo
12-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by ashee
Why is this in general car/bike talk?

because most of the posts are about working on cars/bikes? :thumbsdow

dave5473
12-01-2006, 08:47 PM
In frame rebuild on a fiat 545 articulating loader transmission. Not hard but trying to line up clutch disks sideways in a cramped position was a little trying on the patience.

finboy
12-01-2006, 10:35 PM
-taking the head off of, and putting it back on, my turbo dodge spirit 6 times for various reasons (2 blown turbos, frost plugs failing on 2 seperate occasions, no compression, etc.) before i even got the car past 50 km's
-anything involving belt driven accessories
-anything involving fwd v6's
-anything involving seized brake lines or old e-brake cables
-any work on a z32 fairlady Z/300zx, esspecially twin turbo
-anything VW
-wiring

other then that, anything else on a car is easy :dunno:

Mar
12-01-2006, 11:20 PM
I had to use a 2 man auger for a whole day to drill 3 foot holes for a long stretch of fence. You might think that sounds easy, but try doing it in Newfoundland where there's nothing but rocks once you're 6 inches down. And huge rocks, I got tossed and rolled a number of times that day. It's basically a huge drill with handles on the top that 2 guys have to hold on tight to. It's fine once the drill is spinning, but once the drill catches on a rock, the motor has such tourque it causes the top part you're holding onto to start spinning real fast.

Proboscis
12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

I thought Pick-n-Pull was already dirt cheap? How much cheaper could you get parts for so that it actually makes a difference?

Working there u got 50% off parts and all the gas u can burn :)