PDA

View Full Version : Impreza STi opinions

neely
11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
i am considering an impreza STi come the new year- perhaps 05 or 06, hell maybe ever go across the boarder and get new. I would like to hear peoples opinions on these cars related to reliability, performance, comfort and insurance costs (ie, over 25yrs, homeowner, clean drivers record) i have read the road and track shoot outs and what-have you, but wouldn’t mind some local car enthusiasts opinions

faizalk786
11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
just bought one today should get it in about 2 weeks

dj_rice
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by faizalk786
just bought one today should get it in about 2 weeks

Ummmmmm :whocares: that doesnt really help what he was askin for....:rolleyes: :thumbsdow

Slashin_
11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
save n get the evo X:thumbsup:

xrayvsn
11-29-2006, 10:28 PM
The interior will be a tep down from your Audi, but the reliability and performance will be much better. As for insurance, shop around. I was quoted over $1000 more a year by State Farm than than with Meloche Monnex. I posted on another thread that I pay $84 a month, but I was mistaken - I pay $100 a month for the STI, and I also fall under your category of over 25, clean record.

While the STI is not uncomfortable, it probably does not compare with the creature comforts you may be used to in the Audi. I use my STI as a daily driver and I never feel beat up by it. I do not miss the luxury options like a sunroof or heated leather seats, since the car is an instantaneous smile inducer, like no other car I have driven. It really is that much fun.

If you are looking for a luxury perfomrance car, look into the BMW 335i, or a Lexus IS350. If you are looking for a no-nonsense performance car with 4 doors that you can live with every day, through all 4 seasons, you will not go wrong with the STI.

Buying used or importing new from the US is a great idea. Look for my post in the Subaru Owner's Club subforum to find out more details on importing one.

Eride
11-29-2006, 10:30 PM
I have owned mine for about a month and a half now. Performance wise not too much that I have driven that can touch it, when the boost kicks in it hits hard.If you are looking for a performance car right out of the box the STi is a great choice.
As far as I know if you leave it stock and don't mess with the boost and performace stuff it is a very reliable car.

It really is a treat to drive. As for comfort if you are looking for a plush ride don't buy it. You feel the bumps and the road for sure, as well as hear the road noise.
Insurance is decent, we pay around $240 a month for my sti, the wifes Toyota and our house, I am 26. Hope that helps.

Hadoken
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
amazing car, duh.

don't hesitate at all to get one IF you buy from the states.

if you buy one here, just be prepared to bend over and spread 'em as soon as subaru canada breaks open the lube.

it's honestly not the most confortable car, but it depends what you're looking for. If you're coming from the econobox world, then the impreza interior is pretty much like home for you.

if you're expecting to be sitting in a $47k car and actually feel like a $47k then the STI isn't it. Go for a G35 instead.

if you want to drive the batshit out of it, then the $47k car can easily feel like an $80k car.

reliability has been great.

The only thing holding me back if I were in your position is the curiousity of the 2008 model that'll be on a brand new platform. could be a hatchback though.

neely
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
the audi is a little older- so not overly luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. I would want something ina 4 door )family reasons)- that is what changed my mind from the g35 couple to this. As long as they arent known to be lemons after a few k's are on them i am happy with everything else mentioned. Can live with some crappy minor things to get some kick in the pants get up and go.

That.Guy.S30
11-29-2006, 10:52 PM
maybe you should check out the legacy. less boy racer.

legacy GT or even the legacy GT spec b.

xrayvsn
11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by neely
the audi is a little older- so not overly luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. I would want something ina 4 door )family reasons)- that is what changed my mind from the g35 couple to this. As long as they arent known to be lemons after a few k's are on them i am happy with everything else mentioned. Can live with some crappy minor things to get some kick in the pants get up and go.

I was also required to get 4 doors and a back seat in my fun car for family reasons. I have had the STI since May and have not regretted buying it ever.

The rear seat can comfortably accomodate 2 child safety restraints, if so needed.:D
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/xrayvsn_sti/IMG_0053.jpg

googe
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
i went from an sti to a g35, and most of the time i miss the STI, even after supercharging the g35. my car now is useless when it snows, but the STI is twice as much fun when it snows. the g35 looks nicer and classier and is more comfortable, but theres just something special about being behind the wheel of an STI :D

yellowsnow
11-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I have to agree, the STi is a damn nice car :) Especially in the snow! I don't have the guts to do a 4wd drift on hard pavement, but on slippery snow it's a blast :D I try not to do it in neighbourhoods, but sometimes I can't help myself at night.

The ride is pretty stiff, and you'll feel every bump, crack, uneven pavement, etc. but the performance is outstanding. when the boost kicks in, you're just glued to your seat... i love the expressions on my friends faces when i launch the car...
ok, i'm gonna step on the gas... :confused: --> :burnout: --> :) --> :eek:

interior isn't that luxurious as an audi or g35. it's a car purely for performance

R-Audi
11-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Why not just throw some mods on your A4 to make it faster then an STi.. have the best of both worlds!!

nadroj23
12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

I was also required to get 4 doors and a back seat in my fun car for family reasons. I have had the STI since May and have not regretted buying it ever.

The rear seat can comfortably accomodate 2 child safety restraints, if so needed.:D
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/xrayvsn_sti/IMG_0053.jpg

wow nice seats HAHAHA those awesome.....they actually recaro???

xrayvsn
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by nadroj23

wow nice seats HAHAHA those awesome.....they actually recaro???

Yes, Recaro makes child seats too. The Midnight Sky colour also just happens to match the blue interior of the STI.

yellowsnow
12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
haha your kids must luv them! hell i'd even try to sit in them if you'd let me :D

Pee_Sack
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I only have a WRX, but the STi is in my future plans. I have given up a lot for this car(being 19 y/o when I bought it) and a lot of people told me buy a beater and have lots of money. I am glad I didn't listen to them and yes while in College I have absolutely no extra money but it is so worth it for me, I love this car.

dino_martini
12-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I know this is going to sound stupid, but how bad is the gas mileage on an STi?

xrayvsn
12-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Depends on how you drive, but the car begs to be in boost and that guzzles the gas. I notice it also depends on the gas I use. If I fill with 94 octane Ethanol blend from Husky, my mileage is about 10% worse than if I use 91 octane Shell V-power.

I can get 10L/100km - 24 mpg on the highway (my best ever was 8-9L/100km - 28 mpg). More typical driving I get about 11-12L/100km - 20 - 21 mpg.

When it was very cold this last week, I think I averaged about 14L/100km - 17 mpg.

5hift
12-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Is there any differences between the american and canadian sti's besides the heated seats? I was just browsing autotrader and there is a ton of US Sti's with low kms going for mid to high 20's. Never realizing they were going this cheap, I might be upgrading the ride sooner than I thought.

How are they for reliability? The one thing I love about Honda is my lude just hit 100K and I still have not had to really do anything besides regular maitenence.

xrayvsn
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Pre 2006 US STi's get the HIDs while the Canadian STi do not. Starting in 2006, both get HID headlights.

The Canadian STI gets a pass-through rear seat and heated mirrors (and front seats as you mentioned, though only on the driver's side in 04 models). It also seems like the passenger airbag on/off indicator is different between my car (a US car), and a Canadian 06.

Dont know about long term reliability on a 300hp car, but I see a fair number of 02 WRX bugeyes still running well. There are also quite a few of the older style GC8 Imprezas (non-turbo) on the streets in good shape... I can't really say any more than my car has 8000 miles and no problems. We'll see if this holds true at 60,000 miles.

I also chose this car because of its crash safety ratings. It scores very well in all categories, both from the IIHS and NHTSA testing. Not all of you may consider that when buying a car, but it is important for me to know that me and my passengers are as safe as possible in case of a collision.

While I don't think it is the ultimate car for everyone, I do think that the package and performance are very good for what you pay (especially if you buy one south of the border). It is a very fun, capable car that you can drive through any weather and road condition.

benyl
12-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
I know this is going to sound stupid, but how bad is the gas mileage on an STi?

Pretty shit.

94 octane.
Summer 1 tank = 400km
Winter 1 tank = 300km

Minor mods 94 Octane
Summer 1 tank = 350km
Winter 1 tank = 295km

Track 94 Octane
1 tank = 150km

1 tank is about 50 litres (55 if you push it).

CRXguy
12-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

How are they for reliability? The one thing I love about Honda is my lude just hit 100K and I still have not had to really do anything besides regular maitenence.

My '03 WRX has almost 85,000km now and it still drives like the day I drove it off the lot. Just keep up with regular maintenance and you're good to go. I would say it applies to STi's as well, and I'm sure they're driven harder. :D

xrayvsn
12-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Apparently by the slightly better gas mileage I get compared to benyl, I drive mine like a senior. :rofl:

That.Guy.S30
12-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

im racking up 100k on my wagon. needs a tune up, but still runs like a champ