PDA

View Full Version : Garage door openers

Boostn
11-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Are there any decent shops out there that install garage door openers in Calgary? Which are recommended and which ones should I avoid like the plague? Anyone have experiences with the Liftmaster or Genie brands? I prefer good security features first and foremost.

redline
11-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Go to Home depot buy one and go home and install, it is not that hard to follow the instructions. You should be able to do it in a couple of hours with a couple of hand tools.

if not home depot will install it for you also.

DC2
11-30-2006, 04:29 PM
2 of the biggest names that I know of is Ultralite doors, and Overhead.

I have an Overhead and its great! no complaints

Altezza
11-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Chamberlain makes good openers. If possible, go for a belt driven opener instead of chain. Belt driven are much quieter.

Speed_69
11-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Anyone know any cheap chain driven openers right now? The one in my detached garage is currently a really old Sears one and it's a real POS. In the winter, it only opens up a quarter way if someone doesn't push it up while it opens:rofl: and I can't get any universal garage door opener to work with it, I guess that's how old it is :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by redline
Go to Home depot buy one and go home and install, it is not that hard to follow the instructions. You should be able to do it in a couple of hours with a couple of hand tools.

Add a drill to that list, preferably a corded one. Lag bolts are a lot easier to install with power tools.

msommers
11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
Anyone know any cheap chain driven openers right now? The one in my detached garage is currently a really old Sears one and it's a real POS. In the winter, it only opens up a quarter way if someone doesn't push it up while it opens:rofl: and I can't get any universal garage door opener to work with it, I guess that's how old it is :dunno:

Yeah ours does that too, but only the last time when it was -35 or less. I lubed the shit out of the rail and worked like a charm!

sexualbanana
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
I have a mastercraft and don't have any problems with it.

Boostn
12-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah my 10 yr old Craftsman is starting to act up as well. At least a few times a week it'll either reverse itself for no apparent reason or stop halfway while lifting. If I push the button a few times it'll finally work. The final straw was this past weekend when it wouldn't close at all. I ended up fiddling with the force settings in the back and it finally closed.

Time to ditch this unreliable POS and install a new one. I'll have to check out Home Depot and contact those shops - Ultralite and Overhead for some quotes. Some co-workers mentioned a place called Creative Door and the Door House, any reviews for them? I checked out Chamberlains website and it seems Liftmaster is owned by the same company. Overhead and Genie are somehow related as well. I think I'll let the pros install it though...

sexualbanana
12-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
Yeah my 10 yr old Craftsman is starting to act up as well. At least a few times a week it'll either reverse itself for no apparent reason or stop halfway while lifting. If I push the button a few times it'll finally work. The final straw was this past weekend when it wouldn't close at all. I ended up fiddling with the force settings in the back and it finally closed.

Time to ditch this unreliable POS and install a new one. I'll have to check out Home Depot and contact those shops - Ultralite and Overhead for some quotes. Some co-workers mentioned a place called Creative Door and the Door House, any reviews for them? I checked out Chamberlains website and it seems Liftmaster is owned by the same company. Overhead and Genie are somehow related as well. I think I'll let the pros install it though...

You might want to check the laser sensor that detect any obstructions. It could have been knocked out of alignment.

tylere
12-01-2006, 08:13 AM
I have an Overhead Door Screw drive and it is a piece of sh*t. It was already replaced after 6 months because the circuit board fried and now the replacement frequently stops opening part way, doesn't close, starts flashing the light, etc. Both the door and opener are made by overhead door co. and I would highly recommend you look at anything but the crap they make. Genie and Overheard Door are the same company, so stay away from there stuff as well.