PDA

View Full Version : community parking

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Ok, so this past week a group of guys moved in across the street from me. And being the nice guys that they are, they like to park in front of my house. Which totally pissed me off the second time i saw this, which i did something stupid in my car because of this.

i know its free for all, but it just seems so unfair how i don't get home till 10-11 some nights because of work and i have to either park my car way up the street or parking it in my back yard in a foot of snow. i guess i am super pissed off about this and i am getting sick of looking at the vw's in front of my house.

Cruz
12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
What is the stupid thing you did? I don't get it.

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2006, 01:04 AM
well what i did is not the point of this thread. i'm hoping that maybe they might be on here. cause they all drive vw's.

i just hate the fact that i can't park in front of my own freaking house

Supa Dexta
12-01-2006, 10:41 AM
we moved into a place on a back street a few yrs back, and were told there was always tons of parking.. well a few days later we realized the knights of columbus like to party it up 6 days a week, and filled our street with dozens of cars.. we just started boxing them in, parking reallllly close (they were all driving benz and bmws and stuff) and we even grabbed a pilon and started putting it in our spot when we left.. they usually didn't bother getting out in the cold to move the cone, but they were also old.. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Just go and knock on their door and ask them to leave you a spot since you like to plug your car in, some people are just ignorant about neighborhood politeness, but if they act like dicks about it.... GAME ON.

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
ya, if i still have the same problem all next week i am going to try leaving a note on their car's. last night i was sooo pissed about this and this morning i barely got out of my back yard.

hopefully they are reasonable about this

yellowsnow
12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
if diplomacy fails, it's time to bring it on! :D

next big snowfall, just shovel all your snow onto his car :rofl:

Speed_69
12-01-2006, 12:52 PM
haha i kinda had this problem with my next door neighbour, they have two cars with no garage in their household. We have 3 cars in our household w/ a double detached garage. They would sometimes park infront of my house where I was suppose to park so I always ended up having to park my car beside my house on the alley which i really don't like. I always wondered why they couldn't park at the back of their house in their space(like a driveway). So what i ended up doing was parking my car half inbetween the space infront of my house and half inbetween the space infront of their house because they pissed me off so eventually they would have to park down the street more. BUT one day i come home to park and what do i notice? they've gotten 8ft handicap zone signs posted right infront of their house put in by the city i guess. I was like WTF, i never even knew someone could do that in residential zones. The fricken lady who even parks there isn't even handicapped. Sure she walks with the slightest limp but that's only because she's too overweight.

Lo)2enz0
12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
lol i am going to do that double parking thing if i ever get the chance. i will see what the parking situation is when i get home tonight

Annoyingrob
12-02-2006, 11:50 PM
I would just go ask them to not park infront of your house, or at the very least leave one spot so that you can plug in.

If that doesn't work, take a hose, and cover their cars with ice.

cloud7
12-03-2006, 11:40 AM
if parking is plentiful on the street, and they intentionally park their car in front of your house knowing that you use it everyday, then you have justification to be pissed... but if parking is tight on your street and they are finding parking where they can... and it's not really a personal attack against you. It is first come first serve, but some courtesy should be exercised on your neighbour's part... why do they have so many cars anyway??? illegal suites?

The Cosworth
12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
meh dude, I would just ask them nice first, even if you dont plug in your car, tell them you do and you would like it if you could park in front of your house.

then if that doesnt work, start boxing them in

sullygully
12-03-2006, 11:56 AM
This is an issue that I wish would be addressed to developers, and there should be some kind of building code for (or should be revamped if there is one already) building all these new subdivisions for middle class families. I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds like one of the many new subdivivions being built these days, where the houses are really close together, with hardly any front yard, small backyard with an alley, and just a tiny spot infront of the house with room for one car

I was fortunate(although i didn't realize it at the time) to grow up in a neighbour hood built in the 70's, still middle class neighbourhood, but then everyone had a 1/4 acre of land, everyone had room for at least 3 cars in ther driveway, and everyone had a garage. Meaning, there were rarely any cars that needed to be parked on the streets, the only time that ever happened was when you'd have family or friends over. This helped open up the streets, making it safer for kids to play in.

Its just seems these days developers are just taking advantage of the growing housing market, that they can cheap out by trying to sqeeze those extra few houses into a block. And from this the streets just get piled up with cars parked on them. I myself, would not want my kids to grow up in such an environment. The thought of them running out between parked cars would be taken to a higher level.

frozenrice
12-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
This is an issue that I wish would be addressed to developers, and there should be some kind of building code for (or should be revamped if there is one already) building all these new subdivisions for middle class families. I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds like one of the many new subdivivions being built these days, where the houses are really close together, with hardly any front yard, small backyard with an alley, and just a tiny spot infront of the house with room for one car

I was fortunate(although i didn't realize it at the time) to grow up in a neighbour hood built in the 70's, still middle class neighbourhood, but then everyone had a 1/4 acre of land, everyone had room for at least 3 cars in ther driveway, and everyone had a garage. Meaning, there were rarely any cars that needed to be parked on the streets, the only time that ever happened was when you'd have family or friends over. This helped open up the streets, making it safer for kids to play in.

Its just seems these days developers are just taking advantage of the growing housing market, that they can cheap out by trying to sqeeze those extra few houses into a block. And from this the streets just get piled up with cars parked on them. I myself, would not want my kids to grow up in such an environment. The thought of them running out between parked cars would be taken to a higher level.

A bit off topic for the original post, but I can't let this one go. To a large degree, you can't blame the developers for the higher densities. The city is to blame for this. The city is trying to slow urban sprawl by demanding that developers pack in more houses per acre. This isn't the case in all new developments but you definately can see it in some of the newer lower end developments. Essentially the lots are getting narrower to the point that the overall house width is only 26 ft.

like tik-tok says, go talk to them nicely and if it doesn't work............

FiveFreshFish
12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Park in front of their house if you get the opportunity and plug in to their house. ;)

GTS Jeff
12-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't just leave a note. That's a good way to start things off on the wrong foot. Think about it. If you got some post-it note, wouldn't you be pissed that buddy didn't just come talk to you? Wouldn't you feel insulted that buddy can't take 5 minutes out of his life just to have a chat with you? Besides, it's good to meet your new neighbours anyways...

Supa Dexta
12-03-2006, 04:23 PM
you can't really say much about calgary being cramped.. Land area of calgary is what, 720sq kms (1mil ppl), toronto 630 sq kms (2.6mil ppl), and new york is 800 sq kms (god knows how many million)...

96GrandAMGT
12-03-2006, 11:32 PM
i can relate to this but now everyone around us are all understanding and for the msot part we all park in the exact same spot... and when in doubt on weekend park in front of thier house...worked for me..parked my 89 cavalier POS in front of thier house for 1 entire weekend and since they have not parked near my place LOL

cloud7
12-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Don't just leave a note. That's a good way to start things off on the wrong foot. Think about it. If you got some post-it note, wouldn't you be pissed that buddy didn't just come talk to you? Wouldn't you feel insulted that buddy can't take 5 minutes out of his life just to have a chat with you? Besides, it's good to meet your new neighbours anyways...

I must agree.... this past summer we got a letter from one of our neighbour (who didn't leave a name or address) threatening to call into the City about us not cutting some grass next to the property... apparently the writer though we were suppose to cut that. Little did the writer know, the CIty is responsible for cutting the grass there... but there was no way for me to respond because I don't know who wrote it... and boy was I pissed that the person didn't come speak to me about an issue. I was prepared to cut the grass on the City property if that made him felt better...

Supa Dexta
12-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I've left a note before, but thats because I would come home and not know who's car it was, or what house they were in, and this was when I was in a basement apartment around back, so I couldn't keep an eye out fron to see either... I just explained there was 2 spots in between the 2 driveways, so stop parking in the god damn center...