PDA

View Full Version : Need advise about a 95 Accord EX-R

saladonthebeach
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
A bit of background:
I've been looking for another car to build up. I've been searching for weeks and I know imports are expensive. I had three 93-95 Civic Si coupes slip through my fingers as I guess people bought the online early edition of the B.F and scouped all the cheaper ones. I'm not rich and I had to squeeze out my line of credit to $3500.00 . I could scrape a bit more, but I'd be really hurting.. I would for a great deal, but it would have to be a super fab deal. On the same note, I had to let go of a few deals due to some older Civic Si's not having p/w and p/dl. I didn't know that components of the power group were omitted on older Civics.. however, if that's not fact.. I personally haven't found one with fully equipped. Basically, I want the power group for future alarm options and I've been babied with domestic power options anyways. This being said, I know I'd have to find something banged up or at least with higher k's(to a point). You know how you get 'set' upon a certain "look".. well, mine bends towards Civics and Accord coupes and yes, I want the VTEC. :bigpimp:

Details:
The car of interest is a 95 Accord EX-R 5spd. 'coupe' with the power group. I spoke with the dood yesterday and it's got about 250,000kms, typical surface rust, cracked windshield, and a dented fender. The dood wants $4g, but claims to be negotiable. I'm supposed to meet him in the evening tonight and have to call him earlier to confirm. Now, this is kind of over the money I have and I want to make sure that I'm spending it wisely. I have to pray that the dood may take $3500 or hopefully a tad less. I'm sure I have competition for the said car, so I'm really stressed out. I haven't saw the car yet, but I think that I should try to get it. The last month has been absolute madness and I just want to cash in now, so I can return to a normal life without the stress of finding "the one" car. I can probably get 15 hun for a 95 Cavy Z that I paid 2g for and put over 5 hun in maintenance parts into, but I'd have to get an Honda first before I could sell mine.. so, that's neither here nor there.. that's just money to go back into paying my line of credit. To recap, I have available to me, $3500.00 today. If the car doesn't settle to that amount.. I'm focked, because then I have to scrap other ways and it may take me into the end of the weekend. So, I may not be able to take the car anyways. I just need advice about the buy in general, in case if the deal goes through.

Please advise.. take note that after 6ish, I may own the car already..God willing, so there's about at least four hours worth of advice to offer. Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
honeslty, if your trying to squease together $3500 (of debt no less) you shuld really just maintain an older half reliable car, and not worry about having anything faster/cooler/more expensive.. Work your way up, get the money first... Its no use trying to get a car that will cost you more to maintain when you can't afford it in the 1st place..

edit: And I'm not shooting off because you don't have money, I drove several 1000$ cars for yrs before I could work my way up...

khtm
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah dude, sounds like you're trying to live beyond your means. Like half of Calgary.

ringmaster
12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
The car your looking for is not a rusted out banged up 95 accord with high Kms.. you could still spend 10k on that same car in nice shape and less kms. You are not going to be happy when you "build up" that engine and it blows the head gasket or rings or worse... not to mention 250+ K on all bushings, seals, and components that "wear" ie tierod ends, struts, etc. Keep saving and pay a decent price for a decent car.

btw, your in the wrong mindset about this, if you offer 3500 and he says no, ill bet you go find another 500. Just leave it

saladonthebeach
12-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I appreciate the honesty involved and I have to admit that the advice to drop the buy all together is wise. I've struggled weighing in the pros/cons and the money factor is definitely the con. If I'm able to get this car for $3500.00.. I'll probably fetch $1500.00 for my current car. The loss/debt factor would then be $2000.00 that I will have to account for. Yeah, that sucks. I totally agree, no doubt there.

Although, I can't help but wonder if I should still cash out now.. a fair deal is hard to come by these days. The problem is that my current car is what is referred to as "beater status". The body isn't close to mint, higher k's, and it serves well as a winter car or basic starter car. I fear in summer that I won't get too much for it or if I wait until the following winters.. it will only depreciate more. After all, it's only a 95 Cavy Z and the marketplace has no shortage of them. I mean, my car is good.. it drives/runs well and I've replaced all the normal stuff.. it's a good car overall, but not aesthetically pleasing at best. I figured it would be prime time to sell though, makes for a hella winter car.. just not meant to pretty back up as the cost for body work and paint alone would not be feasible as with the cost would bump you up to better levels of Cavs available anyways. They are just not in high demand and the market is saturated with Cavys and Sunfires as it is. Next year, I think I'd be lucky to get even a g-note for my car.

Meh, I feel like saying fock it and just forget the buy. Am I going to regret it though? Regrets don't have a price tag, but they hurt all the same. I take it as this isn't a good deal that I've come across and maybe I'll just pass on it then. :cry:

redblack
12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
why dont you make your decision after you see the car. IMO a 95 accord ex-r for only 4 grand obo, there has got to be some issue's with it. From what ive seen these cars go for about 5500-7000. With the info you have now , it will probly need a new windshield and an insurance inspection since its 10 years old.
But if you do decide to get it make sure you get a mechanical inspection done to the car.

QuasarCav
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I always try not to buy a new car before I sell an old one, you will have a hard time selling a Cavalier unless it's much cheaper than the other 1000 for sale.

saladonthebeach
12-01-2006, 04:22 PM
^^ Yeah, I 'might' go see it anyways. But, being Fri.. I won't be able to get it in anywhere for an inspection though. An inspection a wise/smart choice, agreed. I'll probably have to lose this buy as many people jump on the left-overs on the weekends.

^ I need to get a car before I sell mine, where I work takes about an hour by bus.. that's two hours gone out of each day by travel alone on the shitty ETS.
That's my point, now is the time to sell mine before it gets worse.. I checked all websites/papers and my car will be priced below others. If I keep waiting.. I will stand to lose more.. it will be another year older, more k's, and more selling competition.