PDA

View Full Version : Question about importing a GTR

boarderfatty
12-02-2006, 01:10 AM
So I have been looking into importing a GTR this spring, but have heard some rumors about new OOP guidlines. I know that to pass an OOP any car newer than 1991 must have DRL's and a third brake light( easy things to jimmy-rig up to pass inspection), but I have now heared that some places no longer pass any rhd cars, or that you need side markers, or Dot/sae approved headlights. I was a little worried because there are no usdm counterparts to the skyline to swap headlights with, or add markers.

I have given a deposit, but might still be able to get it back on monday, so any help or suggestions would be great.

zieg
12-02-2006, 01:16 AM
Yep. Depending on how sticky the shop is, they'll call you for headlights and tails. Markers, headlight height, all that stuff.

Here's what you do. Forget the GTR. Go look for a Mitsubishi GTO. It's got a USDM counterpart, the 3000gt. That means you can swap headlights and taillights. It also has 320 hp out of it's TT v6. And it's AWD. And for thousands less than a GTR.

kdwebber
12-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Go for the GTR... if your worried about passing oop buy a landed one instead. GTR is hands down better than the GTO

boarderfatty
12-02-2006, 01:27 AM
For me though it will be GTR or nothing, I have a friend that owned one and thought it was a blast to rip around in. THis would just be a toy until I got an e46 m3 later in the summer.

My uncle also owns a Fountain Tire that does OOP inspections, but I am not sure about how strictly there franchise head office would enforce their OOP regulations.

zieg
12-02-2006, 02:05 AM
I guess it's a matter of opinion then, kdwebber.

Which FT is it? I used to work for one of them.. Head office doesn't really keep tabs on OOP inspections as far as I can tell, but he still might refuse to throw an inspection, 'cause he could lose his license.

mx73someday
12-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Go through the OOP standards book and see what exactly will fail. The worst case scenario is that you have to adapt your car for the inspection. Once you pass, then I speculate that you only need to worry about the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, so you could probably get away with returning your car back to original so long as it doesn't violate any provincial equipment specifications.

Audio_Rookie
12-02-2006, 07:28 AM
It makes me furious all the stupid shit that is enforced with importing cars and oop inspections.

Its so fucking stupid it drives me nuts.

boarderfatty
12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
my uncle owns the one in west edmonton and on whyte ave