PDA

View Full Version : webcams for macs??? help!

cycosis
12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
so i went shopping for a webcam for my ibook and bestbuy said that only the camera manufactured by mac is compatible at 200$ while pc cams are about 40-80$ is this true?????

CivicDXR
12-02-2006, 03:16 PM
that is true... the apple i-sight is one of the only webcams that are compatible with macs... there are a few more (not sure which ones) that will work, but u probably have to use their software and it won't work with things such as iChat and Photobooth...

redbaron303
12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Webcams do NOT work with MSN messenger. They will work with Yahoo messenger & a few other programs.

Now there is a warez style msn that will work with webcams, it's not teh greatest but it's seemingly fine.

Personally I have used the isight & older mac powerbooks. Then I have currently got a macbook w/ built in cam... seems to work alright. No experience w/ PC cams though.

1-Bar
12-04-2006, 12:10 AM
isight x 2....I haven't found anything else that would work on the older Apples' that didn't have the built in cam...

cycosis
12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
thx for the info, i guess ill ahve to get the isight for my gf's ibook G4

natejj
12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by redbaron303
Webcams do NOT work with MSN messenger. They will work with Yahoo messenger & a few other programs.

Now there is a warez style msn that will work with webcams, it's not teh greatest but it's seemingly fine.

Personally I have used the isight & older mac powerbooks. Then I have currently got a macbook w/ built in cam... seems to work alright. No experience w/ PC cams though.

My Built in Isight works just fine with msn messenger on my macbook pro.

D'z Nutz
12-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Weird.... My Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 works perfectly on my G4 iBook. I use(d) it to do my astrophotography. Can't comment on whether it works on MSN though.

ZorroAMG
12-05-2006, 01:29 PM
iSight built in on MY MacBookPro doesn NOT work with MSN, how does yours Natejj??

I did find a way around it for mac users.

Google and download Amsn...its an msn clone that allows us mac users to use the fun smileys and webcam with pc msn users.

slick2404
12-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Adium is another good messenger program for macs....havent tried to the built in isight with my macbook yet.

macs still rock

CivicDXR
12-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
iSight built in on MY MacBookPro doesn NOT work with MSN, how does yours Natejj??

I did find a way around it for mac users.

Google and download Amsn...its an msn clone that allows us mac users to use the fun smileys and webcam with pc msn users.

hmm... not sure if the iSight works, but I know MS just updated the MacMSN recently, and I can see all the cool smileys...

eb0i
12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Boo to using MSN Messenger on macs.

Go try Adium http://www.adiumx.com:thumbsup:

As for webcams, you'll have to go with the isight.

DannyO
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Yea go with the iSight, its a good cam, you can't find much for macs as there really is no market for it anymore, since most macs have cams built in now.
I have an old iBook and was looking for a webcam, I just ended up using my DV cam with iChat AV, works great.

Download Adium for all your IM needs (except video ATM) its kick ass.
Also get ahold of Skype, its video feature and voice feature is better than iChat or most other apps.

natejj
12-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by natejj

I use windows OSX on my macbook 90% of the time, and it works fine with it. But in Max, AMSN works.

punky
12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
isight will work on windows msn after bootcamp driver is updated to version 1.1+