PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racer Questions

#1hustler
12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey my dad, brother and I are buying some cheap cars for ice racing (we are making our own track on a lake, it's just for fun, not in a league or anything). I have a couple of questions.

My dad bought a neon and my brother is going to get a civic si (these are cheap salvage vehicles) but nothing too majorly wrong mechanically...

...anyways he was studding up the tires and we were wondering would be best to stud just the fronts, or the backs too, on a FWD car?

I'm still deciding what to get for my car... my reasoning is this

AWD>FWD>RWD ... correct?

I would like a RWD for the oversteer turning but I think that the rear wheels might tend to power the car in a straight line in the turns. I think powered front wheels are key. But I could be wrong.

I was going to try to get an old subaru legacy, but seeing as my Dad and brother got fwd cars I should too...to be fair. Maybe a dodge colt or something small.

Opinions, Suggestions

PS: When this goes down I'll get it on tape guaranteed it ends up being a smashup derby. :D

soloracer
12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
There is an ice racing series here in Alberta where everyone drives Chevettes. They are cheap, easy to fix and if you wreck it who cares, right? Too bad they already bought cars because if all three of you got Chevettes you would be driving similar cars and if you ever wanted to have a run at the Chevette series you would already have cars to compete with. Just my $0.02

AE92_TreunoSC
12-02-2006, 09:26 PM
an old corolla 4wd wagon, or a tercel wagon would smoke those on ice.

I bought a tercel wagon for a winter beater last year for 500$ and I'd say it was one of the best cars I've ever owned, plus it kicked ass in the snow

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j264/burwood69/Picture011-1.jpg

my suggestion

hjr
12-02-2006, 09:35 PM
stud all the tires. the grip levels between studded and unstudded tires on ice are so drastically different that you are effectively overdriving the unstudded tires at all times, making the car much more difficult to control than it needs to be. you still slide around and 'drift' with studs, so dont be worried that the grip level will be too high.

that said, as you probably are aware, you need to be very careful with vehicles on ice, especially if you going to run multiple cars on a track.