PDA

View Full Version : Any Programmers here?

Deville
12-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone here is into video game programing.. I recently been teaching myself how to use GM (GameMaker)

Although I learn fast, It still just keeps getting harder and harder, I'm curious what everyone elses experiences are with this program?

Any tips or suggestions? Any comments welcome, I basically just want to see what everyone has to say about game making in general.. ie. programs, school, etc. Thx.

Thinking about getting into it as a career... worth it? Or dont bother?

googe
12-03-2006, 02:08 PM
its pretty big right now actually, though not so much in calgary. tons of major game companies in vancouver. theres been a few multi-page articles on it in the paper from time to time about how big it is. honestly though, if you find game maker too hard, you might not like it as much as you think. youll want to know c++ very well.

Envitro
12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
^^ very very true, about the gamemaker bit.

If you really want to get into any programming position, let alone game development you really need to know C++, physics, and math really well.

Arthur Dent
12-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Game programming is a horrible carrer - keep it as hobby. Learn Java and SQL and get a nice job at an oil company :bigpimp:

googe
12-04-2006, 12:17 AM
how would coding proprietary random codemonkey database crap for an oil company be more fun than coding games?

Deville
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
thanks for the link you PM'ed me Googe, looks pretty cool... I got alot to learn, so for now I'll keep it as a hobby, and make sure Istill like it in 6 months time.

Arthur Dent
12-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by googe
how would coding proprietary random codemonkey database crap for an oil company be more fun than coding games?

the hours and pay is better ;)

game programming is mostly physics, AI - neither of which is much fun unless you find math fun. Game design might be fun.

hedge
12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
You really have to objectively assess your abilities. Game programmers are the elite 1% of programmers. If you are this elite then go for it.

For the rest of us 'mortals', we can make a decent living doing boring business programming.

lint
12-04-2006, 10:09 AM
My brother in law is doing a masters at DigiPen, probably end up working for Nintendo when he's done. There are worse things to do in life than working in the gaming industry.

googe
12-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

the hours and pay is better ;)

game programming is mostly physics, AI - neither of which is much fun unless you find math fun. Game design might be fun.

money doesnt make lame work more fun. game coders arent in it to get rich.

T78Supra1
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
You need to be a crazy math wizz, When you get to University take some math classes and a couple programming classes if you find it all difficult stay away.

Also it is a horrible job...unless you like sitting in a cubical for hours on end, talking to nobody and just coding millions on lines of Code.

Allot of people think it would be fun but have no idea how many lines of code and how much math is envolved. Especially when you spend months on a function and management descides to use it.

It would be much more fun to take software engineering and work on the design and research then the actual code and implemention

Audio_Rookie
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1

Allot of people think it would be fun but have no idea how many lines of code and how much math is involved.

+1 I used to live with a guy who did this.......he was into it and always busy with the math.....but looking at it not knowing exactly what it is or what he is accomplishing by the code....or how the code effects the game.....its is just sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mind numbing.

maybe you should be a game tester like on "grandmas boy"? lol.

If you do, you gotta hook me up with "the frankenstein". :rofl:

Recca168
12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
You need to be a crazy math wizz, When you get to University take some math classes and a couple programming classes if you find it all difficult stay away.

Also it is a horrible job...unless you like sitting in a cubical for hours on end, talking to nobody and just coding millions on lines of Code.

Allot of people think it would be fun but have no idea how many lines of code and how much math is envolved. Especially when you spend months on a function and management descides to use it.

It would be much more fun to take software engineering and work on the design and research then the actual code and implemention

:werd: if u're looking to get into the field prepare for a lot of work. A lot of ppl seem to find a new career path after taking the introductory graphics classes. Implenting game logic doesn't sound too bad but all the animations and physics in modern games will likely be the real killer. But in the it'll be really rewarding to build a kick ass game.

likwid
12-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I worked as a graphic artist at a video game company for a while, and it seems it's all about knowing the right people to get into this industry. Also, be prepared to show many examples of various types of games you have coded, and not just mods to games like Unreal.