PDA

View Full Version : driving tips going up driveways with kit/lowered

izzoblitzo
05-11-2003, 01:38 PM
This is for all you guys with kits/slammed rides. How do you guys manage to go up ramps, speed bumps, and curbs? Theres no scrapage? Like, jeez, I saw a kitted tegra that was slammed pull into a parking lot rather quick, and scraped like crazy.

I think the key is to drive slow, and slanty. What about getting splitters or canards to prevent scrapage? does that help? I mean, if your gonna scrape, might as well take it out on the carbon, and not the paint job, right?

Westhills is a bad place to be. theres uneven elevs for drainage, unsuspecting speedbumps, and odd dip transitions from the road to the parking lot. ouch.:banghead:

Hakkola
05-11-2003, 01:42 PM
U gotta go diagonal, if there's speedbumps try to drive so one side is outside of the bump if it's possible. U could get one of those ramps for your driveway, I usually back in so it's not a problem, getting out is a different story though, have to go very slow and to the side a bit.

If anyone else has input I'd like to know, cuz I'm still scraping sometimes.

chrisgushue
05-11-2003, 01:45 PM
just slow, and diagonal, if the bumps really high ur still fucked tho, maybe raise ur car a little higher if its coilovers, ur not gonna notice the diiffernce and you will save ur paint job, exhaust etc

szw
05-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Those ramps that go in your gutter are illegal.

GTS Jeff
05-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by szw
Those ramps that go in your gutter are illegal. why?

jdmakkord
05-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
why?

City bylaw, prevents waterflow, gets in the way of city crews cleaning etc.

Blue Devil 2
05-11-2003, 01:58 PM
They city can build you a legal one for aprox. $1500..haha

Slow and diagonally works..and no fat chicks

szw
05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
yeah, there was an announcement about them in the newspaper a while back. THey said you will get a warning first, then they'll remove it for you and charge you for it.

haha

max_boost
05-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Approach everything at an angle!!! Go sideways!!! haha
You'll learn fairly quick!!

buh_buh
05-11-2003, 02:12 PM
You gotta know which bumps your car can and can't make too, so its important to learn how low your car is haha. And you just gotta go at an extreme + slow angle.

LUDELVR
05-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Yes, angles, it's all about the angles!!! Remeber Junior high geometry? haha! :rofl:

But even so, there's only so much that you can get away with, ask half the guys on here, the bottoms of their front bumpers are prolly all scratched to shit!!

max_boost
05-11-2003, 02:32 PM
A good test is to pull parallel to your driveway.....slowly pull the steering wheel all the way to the right until you feel one wheel on to the curb, drive up a little bit and pull the e-brake. Go out and take a look and see how much ground clearance you have!!!

Just remember, never back straight out of your drive way, never drive straight over a speed bump, never drive straight out of parking lots because the dip is generally low enough to rip off your front bumper!!!!:thumbsup:

Bayyak
05-11-2003, 03:18 PM
my friend had a CRX with a kit..he hit a kit and broke his bumper off lol

nismodrifter
05-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Bayyak
my friend had a CRX with a kit..he hit a kit and broke his bumper off lol

do you mean "he hit a kid and broke his bumper off" ???:rofl:

Doodle
05-11-2003, 04:23 PM
If you hit a speed bump in a parking lot the buisness is liable. My buddy cracked up his bumper in Mcdonalds and the paid out his deductable to fix it. You alberta cats may be diff. I don't know.:clap:

Blue Devil 2
05-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Doodle
If you hit a speed bump in a parking lot the buisness is liable. My buddy cracked up his bumper in Mcdonalds and the paid out his deductable to fix it. You alberta cats may be diff. I don't know.:clap:

interesting, can anyone add to this?

T5Bird
05-11-2003, 04:35 PM

I could maybe see if someone racthed they're bumper on a stock height car/stock bumper the buisness being liable. But on a modified car (lowered/bodykit), I can't see why they would by any stretch of the imagination.:dunno: That would be like building a 14:1 compression ratio motor, and then having Mohawk pay because you blew it up running they're pump gas. I mean if you're going to lower your car to the point you can't drive around everyday obstacles (speedbumps, ramps, etc) then you gotta pay to play. Just my opinion I guess. :dunno:

gokuu
05-11-2003, 05:07 PM
yes, you must learn how high your ride is, and what bumps and dips you can take. :) I have the black widow kit and it's slammed. I have had to refiberglass the back about 8 times because I have ripped it off going up into parking lots and stuff, never really any spped bumps though because I can tell if I can make it or not, for I only have 3-4 finger clearance. :) If it doesn't look like you can make it over or up, then just try to find another way in or just park accross the street. :)

5gluder
05-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by szw
yeah, there was an announcement about them in the newspaper a while back. THey said you will get a warning first, then they'll remove it for you and charge you for it.

haha

:guns:, when i was at stock hieght i would still scrape my tow hook on the curb. The city wanted $1500 for a sloped sidewalk, i said screw that and bought some 80lbs sheet of metal. I can get a sloped sidewalk made for a quarter of that price. They can fine me, i'll just go back and buy more metal.

max_boost
05-11-2003, 09:31 PM
If you hit a speed bump in a parking lot the buisness is liable. My buddy cracked up his bumper in Mcdonalds and the paid out his deductable to fix it. You alberta cats may be diff. I don't know.:clap: WTF?!?!

Is your buddy's car modified? Cause in case you didn't know, altering the vehicle height is illegal!! But cops aren't that strict and most don't care!! How do you crack the bumper over a speedbump!?!?:dunno:

VWhooligan
05-11-2003, 10:30 PM
I try to go very slowly and at an angle.. but even that doesnt work sometimes.. you guys know that huge speed bump right infront of Outlaws? I scraped the underside of my car on that thing!!! :( And I'm not *that* low.

DUBBED
05-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by VWhooligan
I try to go very slowly and at an angle.. but even that doesnt work sometimes.. you guys know that huge speed bump right infront of Outlaws? I scraped the underside of my car on that thing!!! :( And I'm not *that* low.

fuck i know the exact one ur talking about...

my oil pan knows it better though!!
:thumbsdow

sml
05-12-2003, 02:13 AM
There's a product call "curb ramp"... Apparently it's legal in Saskatoon and Edmonton. Dunno about Calgary though. It should be cause it's made out of rubber and it's removable. Supposedly water can even pass through undernearth it. But it's not cheap, like $60 per 5'...

04blackMAX
05-12-2003, 02:16 AM
dont raise it...dont ever raise it hahha..just get bigger rims....LOL>....when i had 18 i rubbed on speed bumbs, got 19's problem solved hahahah

choweyt3t4
05-12-2003, 08:57 AM
first of all dont listen to any of these guys,they got it all wrong. the proper way is to go as fast and as straight as you can.and try to avoid very small speed bumps the bigger the better,dont worry cause if your kit is made from fiberglass it can only handle all of the above. and if you have any problems with your sideskirts you can talk to leo - he represents for home depot;)