PDA

View Full Version : hard drive took a dump, but i want my data

tsi_neal
12-03-2006, 06:44 PM
so my computer took a dump on me, im not 100% sure if it was a software or hardware problem but basically i cant load windows and i have hard drive issues.

Ive since hooked up the drive to a working computer in an attempt to get the important stuff off before i format it. the computer recognises the drive but tells me the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable when i try to access it.

any help on getting access to the data on the drive would be great.

Zero102
12-03-2006, 08:16 PM
You could try using chkdsk, but if the on-drive controller went out it could just finish mangling the data.
There are places out there who can usually restore your data, but expect the bill to be in the thousands if they have to disassemble it to recover your data.

tsi_neal
12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
tried chkdsk already... the dos window opens and closes pretty fast. so its not doing much of anything.

dunno if it matters but when i had it in the SATA slot 1 or 2 it would just go on a endless boot cycle when the HD tried to load windows. but in SATA slot 3 and 4 it would load windows for a few seconds before it would kick back to the start of the boot cycle

Originally posted by Zero102
You could try using chkdsk, but if the on-drive controller went out it could just finish mangling the data.
There are places out there who can usually restore your data, but expect the bill to be in the thousands if they have to disassemble it to recover your data.

Zero102
12-03-2006, 10:53 PM
tried chkdsk from where?
You need to either boot from a windows CD, and use chkdsk from there (chkdsk /p /r), or boot from another drive, and run it from a command prompt.
Since you said the window just opens and closes, why wouldn't you go to a command prompt and run it from there? Wouldn't you be curious about why it was doing that? ;)

tsi_neal
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM
i pulled the drive and put it into a different computer. then run chkdsk g: from the run window. and i did try the chkdsk /p and it did the same screen flash...

EDIT: After realizing to actually run the comand prompt and run chkdsk... i get the message "the type of the file system is NTFS, unable to determine the volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted"

tsi_neal
12-03-2006, 11:50 PM
using a better utility than chkdsk im able to see all the data on the drive, so i need a free one but i should be able to get off what i need.

thanks for the help

Zero102
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Sounds like there is something strange wrong with that drive. Boot it as few times as possible until you get a utility to recover all the data from it.

AllGoNoShow
12-06-2006, 07:33 AM
If it doesnt work I have a guy who can pull as much maybe even all of it off there, he's done my drivrs over and over again and is very reliable.

I can't give out his info but if you would like to work something out wiht him, I dunno hwo much itll cost but I can definatly get your shit back for you.

speedracer
12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Try http://www.r-tt.com/ r-tt data recovery software. If it fails you will have to decide if the data is worth the money to be recovered.

Originally posted by Zero102
Sounds like there is something strange wrong with that drive. Boot it as few times as possible until you get a utility to recover all the data from it.

:confused: :confused:
So something is wrong and you want to continue and hammer it?

Zero102
12-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Try http://www.r-tt.com/ r-tt data recovery software. If it fails you will have to decide if the data is worth the money to be recovered.

:confused: :confused:
So something is wrong and you want to continue and hammer it?

Wow buddy, I don't know whose posts you are reading, but in MY VERY FIRST POST I said that using chkdsk could result in a partial data loss turning to a total loss, but he could do it if he wants to, then gave him instructions since it seemed that he wanted to.
Plus, you quote me as saying 'boot it as few times as possible' then say that I am continuing to hammer it?.....
I'm the one that's confused.