PDA

View Full Version : V8 Rx-8??

JNeil
12-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Ok, so I know of this guy who claims to be buying a V8 RX-8 in Calgary...

I have two questions:

1. This is obviously not often, has anyone even heard of it before because I personally have not...

and

2. I instantly felt compelled to tell him he is a complete idiot for not buying a rotary RX-8, should I shut my mouth?

AzN'SKillZ
12-04-2006, 12:19 AM
the rotory rx8 have been recalled twice. from waht i herd

so the v8 engine will probly be more reliable, if its true

Hoey
12-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Small-block rx-7s are very popular, ive never heard of a 350 in an RX8 but hey why not? Its possible.

But no they never made V8 RX-8s from the factory if thats what your asking.

I love rotary's but im not stupid, a V8 RX-8 would blow the doors off a stock one. ---So no, it wouldnt be stupid for him, just unlikely:)

I hate raping rotary born cars with piston motors:thumbsdow

962 kid
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
fyi, some people call a RX7 with a smallblock a RX8 ;)

MrSector9
12-04-2006, 12:52 AM
the comparing the v8 rx8 to a stock rx8 is not fair in terms of power or speed due to the fact that most guys that put in the v8's have "massaged" them a little before.

also depends on the series of v8 though in completely stock trim for hp/torque numbers.

hope you know what i mean.

Zephyr
12-04-2006, 12:58 AM
rotary cars dont come with piston engines if thats what you're wondering....

JNeil
12-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok,

When i heard of it i just though "omg, what idiot would swap out a rotary for a V8" because personally if I bought a rotary its like religion to keep it that way...

I still think anyone who has a small block RX-7 or RX-8 is a clown though... lol

962 kid
12-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by JNeil
Ok,

When i heard of it i just though "omg, what idiot would swap out a rotary for a V8" because personally if I bought a rotary its like religion to keep it that way...

I still think anyone who has a small block RX-7 or RX-8 is a clown though... lol

maybe they like making lots of power reliably? :rolleyes:

Mitsu3000gt
12-04-2006, 09:19 AM
I think the should of came with V8's from the factory.

What bothers me is that companies bring out cars to replace previous generations and they are not as good as the car they replaced!

I'd take a 1993+ RX7 twin turbo over a RX8 any day. Same goes for the 300ZX TT, I'd take one over the 350Z anyday. Besides being probably more refined, I don't understand why these manufactuers don't make the car better/faster than what their replacing.

AsianCaucasian
12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I think the should of came with V8's from the factory.

I'd take a 1993+ RX7 twin turbo over a RX8 any day. Same goes for the 300ZX TT, I'd take one over the 350Z anyday. Besides being probably more refined, I don't understand why these manufactuers don't make the car better/faster than what their replacing.

It's because the sequential twin turbos were horrible for reliability. Mazda attempted to make almost as much horsepower naturally aspirated so as to be more reliable.

Mitsu3000gt
12-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

It's because the sequential twin turbos were horrible for reliability. Mazda attempted to make almost as much horsepower naturally aspirated so as to be more reliable. \

Your probably right, but they didn't do a very good job in either respect :) Low HP, no torque, and complete engine recalls.

SlowLude
12-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Putting any piston engine into a rotary car is sacriligous, IMO. Why not use a lighter car if you're gonna do it?

And there were no complete engine recalls! All they did was a test to see if you needed a recall, of course most didn't need one. Blown way out of proportion.

And lastly, the car is no slower than say, an RSX-S. They're very comparable as the price difference is really not that much.

jdm_eg6
12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
the point of a Rotary is to REDUCE weight! or they would not have invented such a thing as a Rotary Motor! So those cars with Rotarys are DESIGNED for the lite motor. WHY go heavier? Sure its cooler to have a much more powerful Cylindrical motor but it doesnt help with vechicle dynamics at all. The point was to have a decent output motor with some good capabilties while keeping the car agile!

Anton
12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SlowLude
And there were no complete engine recalls! All they did was a test to see if you needed a recall, of course most didn't need one. Blown way out of proportion.

All older ones had a reflash and a new starter I believe. But yes, it definitely was blown out of proportion.

About the V8, I think there are a few LS swaps done so it could be that there is a V8 in Calgary.

As far as RX-8s go, great car with bad rep because of people who only heard a lot.

Lex350
12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Dropping a V8 in an RX8 would ruin the balance of the car. The best part of this car is how nice it is to throw it into corners.

Crymson
12-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know how much the motor weighs in an rx-8, but i think putting in the aluminum block ls1 and t-61 (or 51? don't remember) into an rx-7 ends up being the same weight. It was in sport compact a few months back, motors weigh pretty close to the same, rotary is just smaller.

Audio_Rookie
12-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
the point of a Rotary is to REDUCE weight! or they would not have invented such a thing as a Rotary Motor!

Did you know a ls1 engine weighs about 10lbs more than a twin turbo rotary?

Why would you not change over......I still plan to get a rx-7 and change over....rx8 would be cool 2....I just like the rx7 better.

Mitsu3000gt
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Putting any piston engine into a rotary car is sacriligous, IMO. Why not use a lighter car if you're gonna do it?

And lastly, the car is no slower than say, an RSX-S. They're very comparable as the price difference is really not that much.

Perhaps I should of been more clear, by complete engine recall, I did not mean every car needed a new engine, but some cars needed a completely new engine. Sorry for the confusion. It's still bad though.

RX_EVOLV
12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
had a similar converstion on the rx8 forum.. so far no one ( who posted ) had their engine replaced by the recall in Canada. Myself included

tentacles
12-04-2006, 05:12 PM
One big reason people go for V8 RX7s is because it's taking a good engine from a not so great looking heavy car (Camaro or some such) and putting it into a great looking well balanced car that use to have a horrible engine. Rotaries are light but the twin turbo setup isn't weightless so the weight and balance ends up being about the same, especially with an all aluminum engine like the LS1, and you save a bunch of money because GM engines are cheap and plentiful, even if you buy them new, and RX7s with blown engines are also cheap and plentiful.

Supa Dexta
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
doesn't it suck always having to stand up for what you drive though? and the lack of respect there is towards the car? with all the stories and rumors about it (albeit not all true)

.. you may as well be driving a neon... i kid, i kid...

EK 2.0
12-04-2006, 09:02 PM
What bothers me is that companies bring out cars to replace previous generations and they are not as good as the car they replaced!

The RX-8 wasn't made to "replace" the FD :rolleyes:

It's got backseats, utility, reliability, and is in a totally different niche than the FD was...

smontyLS1
12-04-2006, 09:18 PM
I dont consider myself to be a clown for going small block in an rx7
Just because it came with a rotary doesn't mean it performs best with one.
The LSx series engines are all aluminum and as pointed out time after time on rx7club.com and torquecentral.com the weight difference isn't noticeable or significant, any increase in weight will be primarily from the transmission (t-56 which is a 6-speed) and sits right in the middle of the car.
Really anyone that says weight is an issue for this swap doesn't have a clue on what they are talking about.
I love the fact the V8 gets better gas mileage too. 500 reliable hp with an extra gear, low end torque and better gas mileage...
yes please

Shaad
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
if you like wankle engines keep your eye out for quasiturbine engine, maybe somday...

Its been like 10 years or so since it was invented, has incredable torque and torque at low RPMs too boot, zero vibration, can run on regular fuel and the bonus its uses very little oil. No more topping up oil every second gas fill-up(or so I hear from Rx-7 and 8 owners)

finboy
12-04-2006, 11:37 PM
both rotary engines and v8's have their up and downsides, in the end it all comes down to prefrence. i've seen great v8 and rotary rx7's, and i have seen terrible hack jobs of both.

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

The RX-8 wasn't made to "replace" the FD :rolleyes:

It's got backseats, utility, reliability, and is in a totally different niche than the FD was...

Fair enough, but I think RX-8 really implies that it was replacing the RX7 whether they intended it to be that way or not. The could of called it any other combination of letters/numbers. I do agree with you though, it is a siginificantly different car.

SlowLude
12-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Oh man, I'm sick of sticking up for this car. Especially on the internet. It always gets trashed as being a slow unreliable POS. Doesn't help the sale or resale of the car. But honestly, this is one of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven/owned. I guess you gotta really appreciate the rotary to understand.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
doesn't it suck always having to stand up for what you drive though? and the lack of respect there is towards the car? with all the stories and rumors about it (albeit not all true)

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh man, I'm sick of sticking up for this car. Especially on the internet. It always gets trashed as being a slow unreliable POS. Doesn't help the sale or resale of the car. But honestly, this is one of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven/owned. I guess you gotta really appreciate the rotary to understand.

I don't think anyone here thinks the car is a POS. I took one for a long test drive and I understand every last detail of the rotary motor. I did not find it that impressive in the least, and I found the power lacking as well as torque. However that is just my opinion, and my point is that if you really like it, then you did the right thing in buying one and not listening to what everyone else thinks.

jf97talon
12-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
rotary cars dont come with piston engines if thats what you're wondering....

Really? :dunno:

:banghead: :rofl:

Anton
12-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I don't think I ever had to stick up to my car on the streets..then again, if someone said something bad about my car, I'd just ignore them anyways.

On the net, most people who say bad things about it are the ones that never owned, drove, or even sat in one. And in previous threads the people who bashed the RX-8 for being slow drove their parents' civics, cavs, etc.

You drive what you like and I don't think it matters what people thnk :dunno: and the RX-8 owners that posted in this thread were just contributing to the topic..no one is flailing their arms around screaming at the people who say bad things about it..

jf97talon
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
My 7 has been the best vehicle ever.
Now that i have just sold it, i regret doing so.

You get soo attatched to those cars. I redlined EVERY shift in that car for 2 years and i had no troubles. ( it had a rebuilt already)
If i didnt need the money soo much, and a newer car. I would have kept that car until the day i died.
If anyone has ANYTHING to say about a rotary they better have owned one before flaming something they only hear about.

You can ask ANY rotary owner, 90% of them will never give up there car.
They are like any other car, you take care of them, you dont get many problems.

AsianCaucasian
12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jf97talon
My 7 has been the best vehicle ever.
Now that i have just sold it, i regret doing so.

You get soo attatched to those cars. I redlined EVERY shift in that car for 2 years and i had no troubles. ( it had a rebuilt already)
If i didnt need the money soo much, and a newer car. I would have kept that car until the day i died.
If anyone has ANYTHING to say about a rotary they better have owned one before flaming something they only hear about.

You can ask ANY rotary owner, 90% of them will never give up there car.
They are like any other car, you take care of them, you dont get many problems.

Mazda recommends that you redline your car every time you drive it. I do it 4 or 5 times just for good measure. :D

Maxt
12-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I really didnt have a lot of respect for the rx8 when it came out, I beat one with my work van for gods sake. Last month I was at the hks hyper rev super lap , there were a few rx8's in the field along with every other Japanese performance car you can think of, mixed in with Porsche's, a few maserati's. The Rx8's at that event were not highly modified, basically catbacks, coilovers, cai's, bolt in cages, and race seat. They had faster lap times than cars you would think would eat them alive. They were not FD fast, but they were upper mid pack, but they were lapping faster than a dozen or so cars that consisted of sylvias, a few skylines, s2000's etc etc. I left impressed by how good that chassis is. it hasn't got the big break away from the pack power that a few of the other cars had, but it was far faster through the corners than other cars. Part of it I think was due to the predictable power through the turns. Definitely at home on a road course.
You can get them up to pretty good hp while still n/a. Blitz and hks have supercharger kits for them now, but I have seen better power numbers from the n/a cars than the supercharged versions.

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I have seen better power numbers from the n/a cars than the supercharged versions.

I would like to know what kind of mods these are that give more HP than a supercharger or turbo. If they exist, I will remove both my turbos in favor of these mods. This is the first I've heard of N/A parts making more power on the same engine than bolting on a S/C or turbos.

Maxt
12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
The renesis doesnt lend itself to turbocharging like the old motors , nor does the rotary respond to a supercharger like a conventional engine, its to thermally inefficient, coupled with asuperchargers lower efficiency and parasitic losses it doesnt make a good mix ..
From renesis tuning I observed, the renesis doesnt respond to porting,which is the most easily found power on the older motors, the intake is tuned so well to the stock ports that porting typically reduces power.

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2006, 06:37 PM
The renesis doesnt lend itself to turbocharging like the old motors , nor does the rotary respond to a supercharger like a conventional engine, its to thermally inefficient, coupled with asuperchargers lower efficiency and parasitic losses it doesnt make a good mix ..
From renesis tuning I observed, the renesis doesnt respond to porting,which is the most easily found power on the older motors, the intake is tuned so well to the stock ports that porting typically reduces power.

So throwing a couple turbos on it, doing intake and exhaust, will not give as much power as a N/A tune? Or is it just superchargers that don't work well.

finboy
12-05-2006, 06:40 PM
max, how is the peripheral port running?

Maxt
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM

So throwing a couple turbos on it, doing intake and exhaust, will not give as much power as a N/A tune? Or is it just superchargers that don't work well.
Its funny about the turbo kits, they claim around 300 with them, I have seen 260 on one, but also I have seen 268 on a n/a rx8 on the same dyno. The n/a tuning seems to have found more than the turbo kits. The turbo rx8 didnt live very long.

Originally posted by finboy
max, how is the peripheral port running?
Its awesome, probably the most fun to drive out of all of my cars.. Its raw, really noisy and revs forever, above all I like the throttle response..

finboy
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM

Its awesome, probably the most fun to drive out of all of my cars.. Its raw, really noisy and revs forever, above all I like the throttle response..

excelent, when you gonna build a turbo PP? :burnout:

rx7_turbo2
12-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by finboy

excelent, when you gonna build a turbo PP? :burnout: Like say a T51 PP? Hahahaha, if the power FC could control it, he'd probably have it built already ;) Bite the bullet Max go Motec.

BlueFrenzy
12-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Ha ha ... it's funny but even some of the salesmen I spoke to at the dealership thought the rx8 was a V8. He says to me "What do you think the 8 stands for? V8 of course!" Needless to say, I didn't buy from that dealership (not only because of poor product knowledge but the other dealership gave a better deal).

Oh for those that are wondering, the Renesis engine weighs about 100 pounds, so that definitely allowed the engineers to get a nice weight balance.

tsi_neal
12-05-2006, 08:48 PM

I REALLY need to see this p-port...

Maxt
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy

Oh for those that are wondering, the Renesis engine weighs about 100 pounds, so that definitely allowed the engineers to get a nice weight balance.
The renesis engine is about 280 lbs with all its junk on it.
The lightest 13b is the bare bones p-port , about 215 lbs ready to run.

Originally posted by tsi_neal

I REALLY need to see this p-port...
I'll take you for a spin next time you come around..

Akagi Redsuns
12-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Fair enough, but I think RX-8 really implies that it was replacing the RX7 whether they intended it to be that way or not. The could of called it any other combination of letters/numbers. I do agree with you though, it is a siginificantly different car.

I don't think it's implied at all.They could call it other combinations, but why would they?

There is the RX-100, RX-2, RX-3, RX-4 and the RX-5. RX-8 makes complete sense and as it was a new model and not another generation of RX-7.

SlowLude
12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
That's hilarious! But if that salesman offered me a low price, I'd take the money over a smart salesman anyday! On a side note, I had a Mazda salesman wanting to take a test drive in the BMW I drove to the dealership with! I was like "WTF? Who's the customer?!"

Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
Ha ha ... it's funny but even some of the salesmen I spoke to at the dealership thought the rx8 was a V8. He says to me "What do you think the 8 stands for? V8 of course!" Needless to say, I didn't buy from that dealership (not only because of poor product knowledge but the other dealership gave a better deal).

BlueFrenzy
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM

The renesis engine is about 280 lbs with all its junk on it.
The lightest 13b is the bare bones p-port , about 215 lbs ready to run.

Whoops! My bad! I was thinking half a renesis (rotor and its housing ... no shafts or anything). I'm thinking of the Japanese vid where it shows the guy lifting the Renesis without much effort and assembling it (but I "conveniently" forgot that it was half the engine!)

The renesis fully dressed is about 267.5lb according to Jim Merder from RB(without the airbox) ... so the number you have is probably with the box and other goodies. Thanks for keeping me frosty.

m10-power
12-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Blah p-port 13B, lame ;)

I can't wait to see the p-port 20B Max will be building for a certain porsche :thumbsup:

Or the 20B FD turbo... :eek:

soloracer
12-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Well he can't build the motor until you give it back to him - after getting it mounted in the engine bay of course. Do you want my christmas wish list? There is only one thing on it.... ;)

Well, actually there are lots of things on it but I bet you could guess the top 3. ;)

m10-power
12-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
Well he can't build the motor until you give it back to him - after getting it mounted in the engine bay of course. Do you want my christmas wish list? There is only one thing on it.... ;)

Well, actually there are lots of things on it but I bet you could guess the top 3. ;)

Too many projects too little time :thumbsup: