PDA

View Full Version : new tires!

The Raptor
07-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Ok, finally got me some new tires.. Yoko A520s .. just getting ready for Track day... :D .. gotta warm those babies up!! :thumbsup:

speedracer
07-18-2002, 04:45 PM
I never liked those tires on the track. Great rain tire but the dry leaves something to be desired.

Make sure you have at least 44 psi in the tries.

Fuji
07-18-2002, 04:51 PM
yea high pressure is good for track day... make sure you heat them up a bit on the street before you hit the track or you the high temps on the track will kill them.

redline
07-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
I never liked those tires on the track. Great rain tire but the dry leaves something to be desired.

44psi is :nut:

I also dislike those tires. Those are a major down grade from stock type r tires.

speedracer
07-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by redline

44psi is :nut:

It needs to be in that range otherwise you'll be using the side wall as tread.

redline
07-18-2002, 04:58 PM

It needs to be in that range otherwise you'll be using the side wall as tread.

that is were the best grip on those tires are!! :rofl:

4wheeldrift
07-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Can't wait to see how my Victoracers do :D

speedracer
07-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Can't wait to see how my Victoracers do :D
:guns: Bastard!:burnout:

4wheeldrift
07-18-2002, 05:58 PM

:guns: Bastard!:burnout: Mmmmm R compounds :D

Superesc
07-18-2002, 06:24 PM
mmmmm A03/48s .....

kenny
07-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Speaking of tires, anyone want to suggest some good R compounds for road racing? Something that doesn't wear out after a single track event would be great! :)

4wheeldrift
07-18-2002, 08:30 PM
RA1s or Yoko A032Rs seem to be the best suited to track use. The kumhos don't hold up well apparently, and hoo$iers just cost mega bucks.

legendboy
07-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by The Raptor
Ok, finally got me some new tires.. Yoko A520s .. just getting ready for Track day... :D .. gotta warm those babies up!! :thumbsup:

I hope there good for ya on the street :thumbsup: I still want your lip, pm me ur phone number again and I'll give ya a call!

Voodoo Child
07-18-2002, 09:52 PM
How much pho have you guys been eating?
The stock Bridgestone Potenzas are JUNK! FACT.
Ask any ITR owner who auto crosses or drag races and they will all tell you to get something different. Now I also have A-520's on my stock rims and so far they're not too bad. They're small but they do the trick for now. Can't be that bad if I pulled off a 14.8! And whoever said 44psi....I'm sure hope you are talking about the rear tires. I dropped mine down to 18psi or so...worked like a charm....
Raptor...LOOK OUT BUDDY!

kenny
07-18-2002, 10:12 PM
They are talking about the track day, as in the road course, not drag racing. 18psi on the road course is just plain silly :) 44PSI is so they can corner without using the sidewall of their tires, well without using too much anyway.

speedracer
07-18-2002, 10:44 PM
R tires are different. Very stiff side wall in which you don;t have to worry about "rolling" like street tires.

I would look into Toyo RA1's and then Yoko A032R (rain R compound tires).

But the Kuhmo V700 or Victoracing or BFG Gforce would be the better choice at the cost of wear :)

If you have money - Hoosier is where it's at :thumbsup:

redline
07-18-2002, 10:57 PM
R tires are different. Very stiff side wall in which you don;t have to worry about "rolling" like street tires.

I would look into Toyo RA1's and then Yoko A032R (rain R compound tires).

But the Kuhmo V700 or Victoracing or BFG Gforce would be the better choice at the cost of wear :)

If you have money - Hoosier is where it's at :thumbsup:

The hoosier are out cause they would not meet his wear requirments.

But i say buy v700 or victoracers or what the hell ever they are calling them now.

speedracer
07-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Hoosiers still meet DOT (for now) :D
Awesome tires. I've drievn on them and it's amazing. They just won't last for more than 1 track event. Maybe 2.
(this would be road course)

As for the Kuhmo - They still make both tires.

Yoko - WTF? no A040 or A044 #$#@$# :thumbsdow

4wheeldrift
07-19-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by redline

The hoosier are out cause they would not meet his wear requirments.

But i say buy v700 or victoracers or what the hell ever they are calling them now.

Kumho still makes both tread designs, using the same rubber compound. The Victoracers have an asymetrical tread design, the ecstas are symetrical. I've heard some not exactly awe inspiring things about the V700s for track use in terms of wear characteristics , but we'll see how my set hold up to it. They are supposed to be an absolutely fantastic tire for solo 2 use, can hardly wait to try them out.

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 11:34 AM

I don't know.. I've driven my room mate's ITR with them and they seems pretty good on the dry... I guess we'll find out.. you going to track day :D

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
How much pho have you guys been eating?
The stock Bridgestone Potenzas are JUNK! FACT.
Ask any ITR owner who auto crosses or drag races and they will all tell you to get something different. Now I also have A-520's on my stock rims and so far they're not too bad. They're small but they do the trick for now. Can't be that bad if I pulled off a 14.8! And whoever said 44psi....I'm sure hope you are talking about the rear tires. I dropped mine down to 18psi or so...worked like a charm....
Raptor...LOOK OUT BUDDY!

dude man! What you got done to your car now? 14.8? that's awesome! You got cams? I/H/E? How's that JDM convo comin?

Voodoo Child
07-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Hey Raptor buddy,
Project JDM is in full effect and should be complete next weekend.
I'll have to wait to get the entire Top Fuel kit that you and I both like but that's ok.
I ran the 14.8 about 3 weeks ago with simply CAI,catback exhaust and springs. Not bad for my first time at the track.....
A set of Kamikhazi headers will be on order soon.
I'll be sure to post a few pics of the ride once I get it all finished here.
Later dude.

VC

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Hey Raptor buddy,
Project JDM is in full effect and should be complete next weekend.
I'll have to wait to get the entire Top Fuel kit that you and I both like but that's ok.
I ran the 14.8 about 3 weeks ago with simply CAI,catback exhaust and springs. Not bad for my first time at the track.....
I'll be sure to post a few pics of the ride once I get it all finished here.
Later dude.

VC
that's Sweeeeeet dude! But I think that Top Fuel kit is quite expensive no? Dam JDM parts eh? Hopefully getting my rims and GCs soon and exhaust maybe.. what kinda exhaust you have? Apex? Keep me posted and do send the pics!!

redline
07-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Hey Raptor buddy,

VC

is that how they sell them now so they last more then a year?