PDA

View Full Version : Winter Driving E46?

Jynx
12-05-2006, 02:07 AM
I have an 03 325 CI and have never tried to drive it in the winter. How are these cars in the winter and is there anything i should do before driving it in the winter?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

gp36912
12-05-2006, 02:21 AM
is it automatic or standard?

either way, you have to make sure you get dedicated winter tires.
secondly is to learn the throttle control that works best for your car and your area. my e46 is very tail happy. if your dsc dosn't allow you to move because its so slippery, the best thing to do is turn dsc off and see where the car goes. if your driving in very snowy areas, make sure you know how to control the cars understeer and oversteer. otherwise just drive slowly and sensibly and you should be fine.

max_boost
12-05-2006, 12:15 PM
You will be fine.

Get winter tires. Stability control is 99% dummy proof, nothing to worry about.

I have an AWD Suby and a FWD RSX both with Pilot Alpin2 winter tires, I prefer my RWD 330 over the both of them.

Weapon_R
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Driving the E46 in winter is idiot proof. You really have to go out of your way to lose control, even with all seasons.

Jynx
12-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by gp36912
is it automatic or standard?

either way, you have to make sure you get dedicated winter tires.
secondly is to learn the throttle control that works best for your car and your area. my e46 is very tail happy. if your dsc dosn't allow you to move because its so slippery, the best thing to do is turn dsc off and see where the car goes. if your driving in very snowy areas, make sure you know how to control the cars understeer and oversteer. otherwise just drive slowly and sensibly and you should be fine.

Automatic.

Jynx
12-05-2006, 12:55 PM
How important are winter tires? Can i get away with using all seasons with 60% tread left? ( i have never used or owned a pair of winter tires, on my Malibu its always been bald all seasons and i have been fine)

ZorroAMG
12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
u can get away with all seasons but Winter tires are NIGHT and DAY different. I had all seasons when I first bought my RWD auto Mercedes in Oct of '02, snow hit....it was so-so traction-wise (no DSC like your car) and I switched to Winters and what a difference.

Buy winters. Best preventative measure you can take.

PrezeS_PL
12-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
How important are winter tires? Can i get away with using all seasons with 60% tread left? ( i have never used or owned a pair of winter tires, on my Malibu its always been bald all seasons and i have been fine)

60 % on all seasons? That is like nothing.
Pleas do your self and most importantly other motorist a favorite and get winters, you can get set of good winters like kumho KW21 for $500 for 15" or just bit more if you on 16". Tires will last you 3 winters, on top of that you will extend the life of your all seasons in the end you going to be hapy and pleased.

For real driving enthusiast all seasons suck all season.

Jynx
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by PrezeS_PL

60 % on all seasons? That is like nothing.
Pleas do your self and most importantly other motorist a favorite and get winters, you can get set of good winters like kumho KW21 for $500 for 15" or just bit more if you on 16". Tires will last you 3 winters, on top of that you will extend the life of your all seasons in the end you going to be hapy and pleased.

For real driving enthusiast all seasons suck all season.

500-600 for all 4 tires?
Thats not bad at all.
If i decide to drive the car i will definetly get some winters.

Thanks.

benyl
12-05-2006, 05:39 PM
If you can afford an e46, you can afford winter tires.

If you can't afford winter tires, then you really can't afford an e46.

Get them, you will not be disappointed.

Impreza
12-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Very well put!!

JspecB16
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Driving the E46 in winter is idiot proof. You really have to go out of your way to lose control, even with all seasons.

+1

PrezeS_PL
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Jynx

500-600 for all 4 tires?
Thats not bad at all.
If i decide to drive the car i will definetly get some winters.

Thanks.

yes, less than $600 for all 4

I got my KW19, 15" from My Tires for $490 installed

Im getting KW21 for the 328i - pretty much the same price

mekeni
12-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
u can get away with all seasons but Winter tires are NIGHT and DAY different.

Buy winters. Best preventative measure you can take.

:werd:

sgouki
12-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Get winters dude.

I know for my car it lacks technology so driving in winter is very difficult...that and I have all seasons so when theres snow its van time

But I know on my friends 328 he drives like a mad man and everytime I think hes gonna slip, it's fine

Winter tires is a must if you wanna drive comfortably without worrying about rear ending someone cuz ur a lil close or doin a 180 cuz you blipped the gas too much on a corner.

Rich

gp36912
12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
thats the one thing about the e46s or 3 series in general, they are so controlable, and easy to drive even if your going sideways or backwards.

The Cosworth
12-08-2006, 12:55 PM
buy winters, worth the money

Jynx
12-16-2006, 02:35 PM
So far the car has been preety good considering there hasnt been any snow. The only problem so far is that if i park on a residential street that is covered in snow i have trouble gettin moving again. It was a hill and was covered in ice so maybe that was just an extreme situation.

gp36912
12-16-2006, 05:43 PM
you have to be very gentle with the throttle if your starting uphill, much more gentle then usual.

sullygully
12-16-2006, 06:18 PM

uhhhhh, since he already owns the car, and lets say he can't afford winter tires, how is it that he can't afford the car, again?

:nut:

benyl
12-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by sullygully

uhhhhh, since he already owns the car, and lets say he can't afford winter tires, how is it that he can't afford the car, again?

:nut:

uhhh, it would be the same as if he can't afford to insure his e46, he can't afford his e46.

Are you really that stupid, or do you not have anything better to do?

sullygully
12-16-2006, 07:04 PM

uhhh, it would be the same as if he can't afford to insure his e46, he can't afford his e46.

Are you really that stupid, or do you not have anything better to do?

Kinda calling the coffee pot black there don't ya think e-thug?
All i was stating is that your post contains no sence of reasoning behind it. No need to blow a tampon

Jynx
12-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Well just to clear it up, its not a question of being able to afford winter tires, since i can afford an e46, i can def afford a set of winter tires.

Its a question of if need them or not. I had no idea so i taught i would post it on here and get yours guys' opinions. Since you guys who have more experience with this are telling me i need the winter tires, i will in fact get a pair if i decide to regularily drive this car in the winter.

Thanks for all your input.

scat19
12-16-2006, 08:17 PM
when a BMW come up on this forum, everyone jumps in to see if one can afford such a car.

he is not asking whether or not he can afford one, any right minded man can make a decision if they can, or cannot - its wether it can be driven - and yes, any car can be driven in any weather within reason

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2006, 08:28 PM
My buddy drives his '04 325 Ci all year.

snowboard
12-16-2006, 08:32 PM
my mother drives he '02 325 all year, if she can handle it hopefully you can.

benyl
12-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by sullygully

Kinda calling the coffee pot black there don't ya think e-thug?
All i was stating is that your post contains no sence of reasoning behind it. No need to blow a tampon

I am sorry that I wasn't more clear. Here is a better explaination of what I was stating.

To truly be able to afford a car, whether it be a Ford Pinto or a Ferrari, one needs to be able to pay for routine maintenance, insurance, gas, etc... as well as a good set of winter tires.

If you paid for your car, with your last dime and cannot afford to buy a proper set of winter tires, than in my estimation, you should have bought a cheaper car that would allow you to afford a set of winter tires.

Is that clear enough for you? If you are unable to make "sence" of what I am talking about, then no further explaination is needed.

Incidently, to the original poster, I am sorry that sullygully got completely off topic. Back on topic, both the ZHP and the STi are winter driven with a good set of winter tires on both. As I have said in numerous threads on Beyond, the ZHP is great in the snow.

JayM481
12-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Winters are definitely worth it. I waited too long to get them on my 735i this year and was sliding all over the place for a while. Same problem with my '03 325 a couple of years ago (since sold). DSC or not it would lose the rear end in snow pretty easily. With winters it made a huge difference in traction. 'Course here in Edmonton we may have a bit more snow than you in cow-town.

When I had the 325 I also invested in the rims, and bought fairly top-end snow-tires - around $1600 all up installed (with wheel covers - for my vanity). However it made the swap back and forth a simpler process and I could do it myself.

J

max_boost
12-18-2006, 02:33 AM
It's night and day. Next snow fall go out and drive the car back to back with someone who has snow tires. You'll notice the 1000% difference. Increases your driving comfort and confidence so much you'll wonder why you even had to think about it in the first place.

interlude
12-19-2006, 09:41 AM
winter tires def helps ALOT.. I have a set of 16 inch Blizzaks on steelies with bmw hubcaps for sale.. only used them for about 3-4 months.. (cant remember) but I only driven on them 3 or 4 times a week to SAIT.

If you are interested.. we can work something out. I bought a suv for a winter beater. But im thinking about throwing on the winters in case my explorers decide to die on me like all FORD's *knock on wood*

sullygully
12-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Well with all that said, just embrace the winter and be happy you have rwd, because its a hell of a lot more fun to drive then fwd.

I've got Yokohama Guardex 600's, going on there 7th winter!
I should probably get some new ones, but if you are an opportunist when it comes to driving, then you can just take advantage of it, like i do
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=8471181151901084995:thumbsup: