PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting my car

anarchy
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey guys,
I have a 97 prelude, and when I went to go start my car today for work it wouldn't start up. I turned the key and the engine wasn't turning over, but my radio and heat was working so my battery is fine. I'm thinking it's my starter, but when I turn my key the entire way I can hear something trying to work, so could it be my engine? I've had engine problems and it was going to go eventually, just haven't gotten around to replacing it.

Any ideas would be helpful. I figure if I figure out what it is, then I can have it towed and fixed. Thanks.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Could still be the battery... Starter requires wayyyy more power than the radio or heat.

Supa Dexta
12-05-2006, 01:42 PM
the noise you hear, it it a clicking sound?

sounds like a weak battery to me,

hellraiser456
12-05-2006, 10:45 PM
look at it this way...

if you hear a clicking noise from around where you starter is...that means its enagaing and ethier doesn't have enough power to physically turn over the engine or the engine is seized. So i would check you battery and make sure it actully has enough power...you stereo won't take more than 20 amps and the heat around the same...the start will easily take over 200amps...so you need ALOT more juice do get the start moving...especially if it is cold.

IF it sound like it spins but doesn't turn over the car..odds are the start motor is spinning but not engaging the gears to turn over the engine...aka get a new starter

SO yea really listen to what sound the car is making and let us know.