PDA

View Full Version : Dell Service Question

ronaldo
12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey guys just have a quick question about dell tech support:

I purchased a new dell laptop for my sister before school started (did not purchase extended warranty). The other day she was doing an online assignment with windows media player open listening to music, when the comp froze. She tried CTL-ALT-DELETE but nothing seemed to be working so she just powered down the entire system. Now every time she tries to power it up she gets an error screen saying system32 is corrupt and she cant get into windows

So she decided to call dell, who after trying a series of things told her to open up her laptop (with a screwdriver) and read them the serial number of the hard drive). I was under the impression that as soon as she opened the laptop up on her own, her warranty becomes void.

They have now told her they are sending her a brand new harddrive along with some cds to reinstall on her own.

I was just wondering if this is usual procedure with dell? would they send her a new hard drive expecting her to install it herself??

plz only post if you have any comments regarding my situation, i dont really care how much u hate dell or about the problems you have had in the past with them.
thanks

RickDaTuner
12-05-2006, 10:48 PM
yup to cut labour costs and alos shipping costs, dell sends parts to user on a regular basis, the only thing is that she has to send back those broken parts to Dell

when it comes to service Dell is very good, always get you what you need:thumbsup:

LuxCars
12-05-2006, 10:53 PM
That sounds about right, usually they would guide you through the set up process if you get stuck or need help.

When i spilt beer all over my new dell laptop a week after i got it they sent me a new one right away and i just had to send the old one back (no extended coverage either but they have a 30 day satisfactory period)
And when i wanted to reinstall my OS just last week they just guided me through the steps.

Best bet is to get the parts, call dell and ask them to guide you through the steps so you don't accidentally do anything wrong.

Good luck:thumbsup:

ronaldo
12-05-2006, 10:58 PM
so even though she opened it on her own her warranty is still valid??

and she still can redeem her warranty for the remainder of her first year, if needed?

RickDaTuner
12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
absolutely:thumbsup:

ronaldo
12-05-2006, 11:19 PM
perfect.

i just wasnt sure if it was normal procedure for them to have my sister to open it up by herself, being someone who knows very little about computers and expect her to install it herself.

ill make sure i get her to call in for installation instructions.

thanks alot guys:)