PDA

View Full Version : A unique new problem

hellraiser456
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
So just bought a car...a 1988 supra turbo with a 7m

now i was messing around with the wiring as there was a short some where

and mutli metering stuff i found i short in the radio fuse...not sure if that is bad...

But anyway after a couple of hours of messing around with it i was proud to find the short...

So i goto hook everything back up to the battery and suddenly..out of no where my car starts to turn over!!!!

As in the starter engages and turns over the engine while the cars ignition is in the off position

Now fortunately my battery was weak and thus barely had enough power to crank this thing...so i didn't get fried

Doing some research...im guess the starter solenoid is stuck on the "start" position...is this actually possible?? or could it be another possible short??? perhaps in the ignition???

But all i know is that the starter starts as soon as it is connected to the battery and it doesn't matter where the key is...im thinking of just getting a new starter and hoping there is not a short some where

Anyway im hunting for suggestions... and too see if my theory is right

thank you

hellraiser456
12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
so after closer inspection i believe the starter is stuck in the engaged position...so i guess that means the solenoid is fried or stuck

rc2002
12-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Is it the starter switch that's stuck?

hellraiser456
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
no....its the starter....

cause the only way it could get power..according to the wiring diagrams...is through the start position in the ignition or a short in the system. and the the relay wire is getting power

But in order for the ignition to be fried the starter would still disengage the moment i disconnect the positive terminal. But my starter doesn't click it just turns over...and usually when the battery is dead...which mine basically is...the thing will click away because there isn't enough power to actually move the starter and keep it engaged.

Anyway..im taking it to a shop to get it replaced because i sure as hell ain't changing that thing in this weather...its not easy to get too.