PDA

View Full Version : Vw Bonfire

VF-1A
12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
My mexican buit '95 Golf caught fire on monday night after work. I let it warm up for about 10min before driving, drove out of the parking lot and pulled into the lot next to my work to talk to a co-worker who had her car parked in that lot (less than 30sec of driving). When i pulled up next to her I rolled down my window and very shortly after, smoke was pouring up out of the window seals and window channel. Ran back into work to grab an extinguisher (after I got my head back on it's shoulders) and still had to call 911 cuz the fire was still going under the hood where i didn't see it. The fire inspector told me it started at a couple of bare wires that touched that run from the relay mounted to the DS strut tower right behind the battery. The fire ran along the wiring harness, through the firewall and into the dash harness cuasing one crispy critter.

After the self admitedly long winded detailed story, my question would be; does anyone know of a recall about this type of thing or is this typical of VW's?

Unknown303
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Here you go buddy, hope what your looking for is in this long winding list of recalls.

Recalls

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005107; Units affected: 7,709

1999-2000 Golf and GTI: On certain vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine, fuel supply line tension may cause the fuel pump supply nipple to crack, which could result in a leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, may cause a fire. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel supply line for tension, and inspect the fuel pump supply nipple for cracks. If tension is present in the fuel supply line, it will be replaced. If the fuel pump supply nipple is cracked, both the fuel line and the fuel pump will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004436; Units affected: 80,752

2000-2002 Golf, GTI and Jetta: On certain vehicles, the hazard switch and flasher system function may degrade over time because of distortion and material transfer of the contacts of certain hazard switch relays which occurs due to substantially increased electrical current load from higher-wattage turn signal bulbs. The subject vehicles utilize a 27-watt turn signal bulb, instead of the 21-watt bulb used in other VW vehicles, which results in substantially higher current draw through the hazard switch relay. This may result in intermittent or inoperative turn signal and hazard flasher function. Correction: Dealers will replace the hazard switch relay.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2000214; Units affected: 2,094

2000-2001 Golf: On certain vehicles, one of two brackets used to bolt the front control arm to the body structure may not have been welded to specifications. Depending on the strength of the weld seams, the control arm could gradually loosen and ultimately separate from its bracket resulting in control difficulty or possible loss of vehicle control. Correction: Vehicles will be inspected and suspect control arms will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2000189; Units affected: 32

2001 Golf: Certain vehicles do not comply with the requirements of CMVSS 115 - Vehicle Identification Number. Vehicles were produced with a V.I.N. which contains an incorrect check digit. Correction: V.I.N. Plate and Certification Label will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2002028; Units affected: 18,615

2001-2002 Golf, Jetta and New Beetle: On certain passenger vehicles short circuits can occur within the electronic control unit of the anti-lock braking system (ABS). This can result in a fire. Correction: Dealers will replace the ABS control unit.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005012; Units affected: 47,800

2002-2004 Golf, GTI and Jetta: Certain vehicles equipped with the comfort seats option may have a seat heater element that can malfunction when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position and the seat heater switch is also "ON". If this happened, the seated occupant may experience excessive heat in this location. The heating mat could damage, or melt a small hole in the seat. If this were to occur, an electrical/melting smell or small amount of smoke would be noticeable. In some cases, the small hole in the seat could damage the seated occupant's clothing. In rare instances, this could lead to a minor or superficial skin injury. Correction: Dealers will modify the driver's seat heater by installing an electrical repair kit and will install a new passenger side seat heater switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004435; Units affected: 8,072

2004-2005 Golf, Jetta and New Beetle: On certain vehicle equipped with TDI-PD (Pumpe-Düse) engines, the high-pressure diesel pumps were produced with improper fasteners. In rare cases, one of these improper fasteners may yield due to repeated cyclic loading and allow diesel fuel to escape from the high-pressure pump. Diesel fuel in the presence of an ignition source may lead to a fire. Additionally, due to the quantity of fuel that may be released, there is a crash risk posed to vehicles traveling behind the subject vehicle. Correction: Dealers will install a replacement diesel pump kit.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004075; Units affected: 65,548

1999-2002 Jetta: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or the lamps could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the brake lamp switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003184; Units affected: 25,931

1998-2002 New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or the lamps could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the brake lamp switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2006122; Units affected: 91,082

1999-2002 Jetta and New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealers will replace the brake lamp switch with a newly revised version. This action includes vehicles previously affected by Transport Canada recall 03-184 and 04-075. The switch installed during this prior repair may not function properly. Note: parts available December 2006.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 1999021; Units affected: 4,583

1999 Jetta: On certain vehicles, a sound absorbing mat attached to the inside of the B-pillar side trim panel could have been improperly installed. The surface and edges of the mat could have been damaged during the assembly process. It could ignite when exposed to the exhaust gas of the seat belt pre-tensioner in the event of a severe front or side collision resulting in a vehicle fire Correction: Matting materials will be removed from inside the B-pillar on both sides of the vehicle.

2001-2002 Golf, Jetta and New Beetle: On certain passenger vehicles short circuits can occur within the electronic control unit of the anti-lock braking system (ABS). This can result in a fire. Correction: Dealers will replace the ABS control unit.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 1998101; Units affected: 1,515

1998 New Beetle: Electrical wiring may chafe against the battery tray during normal vehicle operation. If damage occurs, the fuel pump could malfunction, causing the vehicle to stall without warning. In some instances chafing could also result in a wiring fire in the engine compartment. Correction: a modified battery tray will be installed and wiring will be properly routed and secured.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003313; Units affected: 375

2004 New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the tire information label incorrectly identifies the vehicle as a five-passenger instead of a four-passenger vehicle. Correction: Volkswagen will send a new label to owners of affected vehicles.

Used vehicle prices vary depending on factors such as general condition, odometer reading, usage history and options fitted. Always have a used vehicle checked by an experienced auto technician before you buy.

For information on recalls, see Transport Canada's web-site, www.tc.gc.ca, or the U.S. National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA)web-site, www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

For information on vehicle service bulletins issued by the manufacturer, visit www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

For information on consumer complaints about specific models, see www.lemonaidcars.com.

finboy
12-06-2006, 10:11 AM
it tends to happen, vw never really understood proper wiring and it usually ended up causing shorts or fires. a family friend was terrified when smoke started billowing out from behind the dash of her passat :rofl:

ogpog
12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Here you go buddy, hope what your looking for is in this long winding list of recalls.

Recalls

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005107; Units affected: 7,709

1999-2000 Golf and GTI: On certain vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine, fuel supply line tension may cause the fuel pump supply nipple to crack, which could result in a leak. A fuel leak, in the presence of an ignition source, may cause a fire. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel supply line for tension, and inspect the fuel pump supply nipple for cracks. If tension is present in the fuel supply line, it will be replaced. If the fuel pump supply nipple is cracked, both the fuel line and the fuel pump will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004436; Units affected: 80,752

2000-2002 Golf, GTI and Jetta: On certain vehicles, the hazard switch and flasher system function may degrade over time because of distortion and material transfer of the contacts of certain hazard switch relays which occurs due to substantially increased electrical current load from higher-wattage turn signal bulbs. The subject vehicles utilize a 27-watt turn signal bulb, instead of the 21-watt bulb used in other VW vehicles, which results in substantially higher current draw through the hazard switch relay. This may result in intermittent or inoperative turn signal and hazard flasher function. Correction: Dealers will replace the hazard switch relay.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2000214; Units affected: 2,094

2000-2001 Golf: On certain vehicles, one of two brackets used to bolt the front control arm to the body structure may not have been welded to specifications. Depending on the strength of the weld seams, the control arm could gradually loosen and ultimately separate from its bracket resulting in control difficulty or possible loss of vehicle control. Correction: Vehicles will be inspected and suspect control arms will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2000189; Units affected: 32

2001 Golf: Certain vehicles do not comply with the requirements of CMVSS 115 - Vehicle Identification Number. Vehicles were produced with a V.I.N. which contains an incorrect check digit. Correction: V.I.N. Plate and Certification Label will be replaced.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2005012; Units affected: 47,800

2002-2004 Golf, GTI and Jetta: Certain vehicles equipped with the comfort seats option may have a seat heater element that can malfunction when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position and the seat heater switch is also "ON". If this happened, the seated occupant may experience excessive heat in this location. The heating mat could damage, or melt a small hole in the seat. If this were to occur, an electrical/melting smell or small amount of smoke would be noticeable. In some cases, the small hole in the seat could damage the seated occupant's clothing. In rare instances, this could lead to a minor or superficial skin injury. Correction: Dealers will modify the driver's seat heater by installing an electrical repair kit and will install a new passenger side seat heater switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004435; Units affected: 8,072

2004-2005 Golf, Jetta and New Beetle: On certain vehicle equipped with TDI-PD (Pumpe-Düse) engines, the high-pressure diesel pumps were produced with improper fasteners. In rare cases, one of these improper fasteners may yield due to repeated cyclic loading and allow diesel fuel to escape from the high-pressure pump. Diesel fuel in the presence of an ignition source may lead to a fire. Additionally, due to the quantity of fuel that may be released, there is a crash risk posed to vehicles traveling behind the subject vehicle. Correction: Dealers will install a replacement diesel pump kit.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2004075; Units affected: 65,548

1999-2002 Jetta: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or the lamps could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the brake lamp switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003184; Units affected: 25,931

1998-2002 New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or the lamps could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the brake lamp switch.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2006122; Units affected: 91,082

1999-2002 Jetta and New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the brake lamp switch may malfunction. If this happens, the brake lamps could become inoperative; or could come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Correction: Dealers will replace the brake lamp switch with a newly revised version. This action includes vehicles previously affected by Transport Canada recall 03-184 and 04-075. The switch installed during this prior repair may not function properly. Note: parts available December 2006.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 1999021; Units affected: 4,583

1999 Jetta: On certain vehicles, a sound absorbing mat attached to the inside of the B-pillar side trim panel could have been improperly installed. The surface and edges of the mat could have been damaged during the assembly process. It could ignite when exposed to the exhaust gas of the seat belt pre-tensioner in the event of a severe front or side collision resulting in a vehicle fire Correction: Matting materials will be removed from inside the B-pillar on both sides of the vehicle.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 1998101; Units affected: 1,515

1998 New Beetle: Electrical wiring may chafe against the battery tray during normal vehicle operation. If damage occurs, the fuel pump could malfunction, causing the vehicle to stall without warning. In some instances chafing could also result in a wiring fire in the engine compartment. Correction: a modified battery tray will be installed and wiring will be properly routed and secured.

Transport Canada Recall Number: 2003313; Units affected: 375

2004 New Beetle: On certain vehicles, the tire information label incorrectly identifies the vehicle as a five-passenger instead of a four-passenger vehicle. Correction: Volkswagen will send a new label to owners of affected vehicles.

Used vehicle prices vary depending on factors such as general condition, odometer reading, usage history and options fitted. Always have a used vehicle checked by an experienced auto technician before you buy.

For information on recalls, see Transport Canada's web-site, www.tc.gc.ca, or the U.S. National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA)web-site, www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

For information on vehicle service bulletins issued by the manufacturer, visit www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

For information on consumer complaints about specific models, see www.lemonaidcars.com.

:rofl: None of that actually includes his 95 golf, but interesting info otherwise.:clap:

VF-1A
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ogpog

:rofl: None of that actually includes his 95 golf, but interesting info otherwise.:clap:

I noticed that too but that was great! Way more than i coulda asked for. That would've fer sure given me a hand cramp. Thanks loads for all that 303. Especially the links. Believe you me, they're gonna be worn out by the time I'm done with them today.

Unknown303
12-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah i realised after i posted that all the years were 98 and up but i check the link and seemed to have good info. Just didn't want to double post.

Good luck in your search.

VF-1A
12-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Yeah i realised after i posted that all the years were 98 and up but i check the link and seemed to have good info. Just didn't want to double post.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks. I think I'll need it.