PDA

View Full Version : Buying a GTR

Rocky
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Did a quick search but didn't get what I was looking for really.

A friend of mine wants to buy a GTR. Reasons: decent price, AWD, powerful, nice styling, etc. But in truth he doesn't know a lot about them in terms of performance.

I don't know much about them myself. I've heard you have to tune them to take 94 octane (which is hard to find at the pumps) and that a lot of stock ones have a handful of problems..?

Was just wondering if there's anything like a GTR buyer's guide or a general FAQ for n00bs on the car + what it takes to keep it going strong in Canada.

msommers
12-06-2006, 11:11 AM
www.gtrcanada.com

Anton
12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Justin, the site that msommers posted is probably your/his best bet.

Now what cars did he own before because a GTR will be a huge step up in terms of performance and if he didn't drive cars with that much power before, he won't last too much especially if it's his first vehicle.

Now when you say decent price, what range is he in? When buying a GTR, the good ones are going for over 15 and if you're on a budget it's really not a good idea to get one..

DonJuan
12-06-2006, 11:31 AM
:werd: you cant really buy a GTR on a budget cuz if you buy a cheap one the end up turning into money pits.

Teggy
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
^^^^ hes right, if your friend wants a gtr and the best bang for his buck, i would say spend the money. it really isn't worth purchasing a gtr cuz its cheap your just going to have to fork over tons of cash to fix it up. basically, find one that is in great shape, your probably looking between 14,900, and 17,000, make sure it has had no accidents, no major problems anything in that sense. however, don't go buying a gtr without some knowledge of the car first. If you and your buddy walk into a place and are like we want a gtr give me one the buddy is going to bend you over his desk, and rape the both of you. Anyways, make friends with somebody who owns one. Get some back ground knowledge, and then purchase a fine automobile. Trust me, skylines are worth every penny.

Anton
12-06-2006, 12:56 PM
AWD, powerful, nice styling

If he's only looking for those things, there's better options here for the same price that are newer.

GTR are usually bought to be modified hence MOST people that buy them have extra funds to fix/modify things. However, there a few that spend every penny they have on one and can't even afford a new battery for it, don't be one of those.

Do extensive research before buying one. Another thing to consider is to buy a landed one, since then you can actually see it or take it to a mechanic. Landed ones are more money though.

DonJuan
12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
^:werd: Tru dat, with one that is landed already you can take it to a mechanic and have it checked out. The good thing about these cars is that if somthing is wrong with it you will know instantly with either diminished performance, wierd sounds and of course flashing lights on the dashboard as much of the drivetrain is computer controlled.

I dunno about getting something that has simmilar looks to a GTR, it doesn't really look like anything else (except for the back end that the impala copied). To me the best part of a GTR is the presence, you can be driving any vehicle on the road today and think it is the hottest shit in the world, but as soon as a GTR pulls up beside you your suddenly second guessing yourself and your car because
1. It's fast out of the box
2. Can easily be tuned to insane power levels
3. The maniac behind the wheel is smiling at you menacingly.:D

Thats was why I wanted and still want a GTR, but I'm waiting for the more docile looking R33. (I already have mine picked out, and it's just waiting for me!)

_wrx_
12-06-2006, 06:56 PM
you should by a 300zx tt! its a better bet!

Hoey
12-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by _wrx_

:werd: Very reliable, almost as fast, looks hotter, RWD:thumbsup:

Rocky
12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Interesting stuff. He's got a bike so if he hasn't died on that thing yet I think he could manage a GTR haha. I would estimate his price range at 9-13000. Knowing him, the best fit would be a powerful already semi-worked-on car that won't take much effort (or at least extra cash) to keep running properly.

If you and your buddy walk into a place and are like we want a gtr give me one the buddy is going to bend you over his desk, and rape the both of you.
Hence why I'm here and not at the dealership :D I'aware a lot of Skylines are sold based on the fact "it's a Skyline" and they end up being nothing but trouble; so I'm hoping to learn some and help him out with his decision making.

Btw, what else would you suggest for an AWD roughly the same age w/ over ~180 HP? All Trac Turbo's are outta the question I think haha.

Mike w
12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
+1 For the 300's!!

Hoey
12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Celica GT-4, GT-R, GTS-4, GTiR, AWD DSM, Imprezza RS...etc.

List goes on... All over 200hp, all AWD

I know people are gonna bash DSM, but buy a good one for 10K and itll give you less problems than a GTR.

Out of those, i would pick DSM because parts are cheap and attainable,

GT4, GTR, GTS4, GTiR.....all JDM and parts are $$$$

Imprezza....Theyre parts are a little on the pricey side but more attainable than JDM cars.

my input.

zieg
12-06-2006, 07:12 PM

I think a Mitsubishi GTO would be an even better bet.

320 hp. awd. cheaper than a gtr. Cooler looking imo..

msommers
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I would estimate his price range at 9-13000. Knowing him, the best fit would be a powerful already semi-worked-on car that won't take much effort (or at least extra cash) to keep running properly.

Two words buddy,

GOOD LUCK

Anton
12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Two words buddy,

GOOD LUCK

3 work too,

Not gonna happen

Sorry but you won't find a nice one at that price range. A gts-4 is more suitable.

Annoyingrob
12-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I would vote for the GTO. Sexy car.

<---or he could always import a TT Supra :)

carter_prelude
12-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Aristo or Soarer FTW! Toyota....very realiable, don't break down as often, SUPER fast after some mods...the GTO is an elephant with a turbo. Heavy as shit. Nice to look at though :thumbsup:

eur0
12-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Hoey
Celica GT-4, GT-R, GTS-4, GTiR, AWD DSM, Imprezza RS...etc.

List goes on... All over 200hp, all AWD

I know people are gonna bash DSM, but buy a good one for 10K and itll give you less problems than a GTR.

Out of those, i would pick DSM because parts are cheap and attainable,

GT4, GTR, GTS4, GTiR.....all JDM and parts are $$$$

Imprezza....Theyre parts are a little on the pricey side but more attainable than JDM cars.

my input.

The Impreza RS is over 200hp?

DonJuan
12-08-2006, 02:35 AM
the downfall of the Mitsubishi GTO is that they are ALOT heavier than they look. I wouldn't do a DSM just cuz parts are cheap as you will be working on it constantly... The GTiR is probably the fastest thing on that list, but a clutch is a HUGE job. RS impreza would make you feel dumb everytime you saw a WRX or STI so thats out; the GT-4 Celica is a good bet reliable, parts are accessible in North america but you won't ever need it as it's a toyota. That just leaves the Z, the twin turbo Supra/Soarer and Aristo. Let me just put it this way, I've just bought one of these 4 cars my choice is the only one with 4 doors. 2JZGTE > 1JZGTE :poosie:

Sorath
12-08-2006, 02:40 AM
dont buy a gtr, its a ticking time bomb

Teggy
12-08-2006, 09:20 AM
a decent car that you don't see alot of its the skylines very little brother the pulsar GTI- R. Sr20det powered AWD, its a fun little hatchback that is also fast out of the box. Secondly, have you considered a Mazda RX-7, they will start importation this year. The only other vehicle i would suggest if you want something right away is the lancer Evolution III. They too will be brought over soon. (if there isn't any here already). I don't really think that the fairlady is better car then the GTR, The fairlady is a great car don't get me wrong guys, awesome performance, decent styling, but next to a GTR it just dosen't seem the same.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Everything else aside, I would never go out and buy a 15+ year old car. IMO that is asking for trouble/problems.

Artega
12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Teggy
a decent car that you don't see alot of its the skylines very little brother the pulsar GTI- R. Sr20det powered AWD, its a fun little hatchback that is also fast out of the box. Secondly, have you considered a Mazda RX-7, they will start importation this year. The only other vehicle i would suggest if you want something right away is the lancer Evolution III. They too will be brought over soon. (if there isn't any here already). I don't really think that the fairlady is better car then the GTR, The fairlady is a great car don't get me wrong guys, awesome performance, decent styling, but next to a GTR it just dosen't seem the same.

Evolution 1st gen - December 2008
Evolution 3 - January 2010

soon.....not soon enough *sigh

How i wish they're available here

rc2002
12-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
Interesting stuff. He's got a bike so if he hasn't died on that thing yet I think he could manage a GTR haha. I would estimate his price range at 9-13000. Knowing him, the best fit would be a powerful already semi-worked-on car that won't take much effort (or at least extra cash) to keep running properly.

Btw, what else would you suggest for an AWD roughly the same age w/ over ~180 HP? All Trac Turbo's are outta the question I think haha.

As mentioned before the GTiR is pretty much the only other car that falls within his price range right now.

If you want to wait you might be able to find one for 13k but I would be wary about buying such a cheap one - an extra couple bucks spent now might save you thousands in maintenance later. I remember when GTR's used to go for $30k and now you can get into one for around $15k. They've depreciated faster than brand new cars. :eek:

Teggy
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Artega

Evolution 1st gen - December 2008
Evolution 3 - January 2010

soon.....not soon enough *sigh

How i wish they're available here

actually i heard there were a couple in edmonton as a matter of fact i have a friend who has personally worked on a couple

msommers
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

As mentioned before the GTiR is pretty much the only other car that falls within his price range right now.

If you want to wait you might be able to find one for 13k but I would be wary about buying such a cheap one - an extra couple bucks spent now might save you thousands in maintenance later. I remember when GTR's used to go for $30k and now you can get into one for around $15k. They've depreciated faster than brand new cars. :eek:

There is a reason for the "depreciation" going down so much. More and more importers, or smucks who call themselves importers are popping out of everywhere. At first, they had a monopoly essentially, if you wanted a say skyline, you'r gonna pay a lot for it and how else would you know?! Now that it is obvious how much money importers were making, other companies try to be "honest" about their pricing. Importing these days is essentially like putting your hand in a toilet and hoping your hand doesn't get dirty, it's too easy to find shit.

Annoyingrob
12-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Let me just put it this way, I've just bought one of these 4 cars my choice is the only one with 4 doors. 2JZGTE &gt; 1JZGTE :poosie:
Some people like a stick shift though :)

As for budget, JZA70 supras routinely sell for <10k in Canada with some mods. I can point you to about 4 for sale right now between BC, AB, and SK, all for <10k.

A GTiR is a damn cool car. I would love one if it didn't look like a little Golf. I think their prices are a little inflated due to the "SR20 crowd". That is a definite option if he wants a powerful AWD car.

Yeah GTOs are heavy as hell, but they're so nice to look at. More traction in the winter too :burnout:

7thgenvic
12-11-2006, 02:36 AM
i would love a nice GTR...there are SO many importers now..

www.terra2imports.ca
www.j-specimports.ca

and the list keeps going. you can even do well for yourself buying off yahoo.jp

kdwebber
12-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hoey

:werd: Very reliable, almost as fast, looks hotter, RWD:thumbsup:

Haha yea maybe as fast as a gts-t. My old skyline gts-t that had very little mods was faster than my buddys 300. The GTR would walk all over a 300. Not a good comparison.

DonJuan
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Some people like a stick shift though :)

Tru Dat, Tru Dat.

I just wanted sumthing that I could get my friends in and out of easy that would keep me entertained enough so I don't have to drive the 240 all the time, and hopefully with a set of blizzaks and a boost controller turned to 0 this Ariso won't imbed itself in an off ramp... (fingers crossed)

Annoyingrob
12-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Boost controller won't adjust the boost below stock.

With that being said, I drive my supra in the winter with NO problems. I run Michellin X-Ice tires, and have never got it stuck. Toyota was smart enough to instal LSDs in all their faster RWD cars, that helps a lot.

Wait, how the hell did we go from GTR discussion to Aristo discussion :p

DonJuan
12-12-2006, 09:52 PM
^ Damn I was afraid of that, so you're saying a boost controller will only serve to blow my engine...

I think the LSD was optional on the Aristo V's but I'm not sure, I hope I have it.

Betters cars deserve better conversation:eek: I didn't just say that!!!!:D

Back on topic, what did your buddy end up going with? or leaning towards?

95EagleAWD
12-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Everything else aside, I would never go out and buy a 15+ year old car. IMO that is asking for trouble/problems.

That's a pretty broad statement.

My 15 year old runs fine.

40 year old cars run just fine.

Do your research, then purchase.

msommers
12-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

That's a pretty broad statement.

My 15 year old runs fine.

40 year old cars run just fine.

Do your research, then purchase.

I tend to agree but the problem is exactly do you know. There has to be a lot of trust but mostly the issues that come with trying to trust someone overseas. Too many people are naive about importers. I'm not saying that all importers are out to screw people, but even good hearted importers can be lied to, screwed around in the dealer lots and auctions, and get mis informed and they didn't even want to lie to you. It seems to be a chain of taking advantage of a situation. I'm in no way affiliated AT ALL with the two shops that I would import from. Skyline shop and Racebred performance. Skyline shop is expensive, but anyone that is willing to put a warranty on an imported car for 6 months and fix anything parts and labour included, knows how to pick cars. There are things they look for that I can understand why they have a warranty. Racebred performance uses Newera imports. Check out www.gtr.co.uk and check out their history. No crap here but again, pricey. Anyone that is willing to include an OOP with a vehicle and fix anything to comply is half way there in my books. Again I don't know these guys but after researching my ass off about this stuff, it came down me deciding it is too much money that could be spent on other things. Not all these cars are crap and neither are all the importers. But at least 80% of both stink.

Now, if I was going to buy a GTR, this is exactly what I would do:

1) Find a car with genuine average body kms, body is straight and true and in excellent condition with minimal modifications to the drivetrain. Find a car with a blown motor.

2) Buy a BRAND NEW RB26DETT from Nissan Japan. Take car of the motor as you see fit.

3) Mod away

4) Hope to God the tranny isn't a piece of crap

Any GTR with a good body and crap motor is bound to be cheap. I have a friend who actually ordered an RB26 from Nissan Japan and wishes he would have gone my route because the engine itself wasn't nearly as expensive as one would think. Still expensive but saves the hassle of worrying IMO.I hope this helps people about making choices when it comes to importing.

Annoyingrob
12-14-2006, 05:58 AM
I know a local importer that deals with a lot of private sales in Japan, as well as a few auction cars. You pay a few thousand more then buying from a more "cost-effective" importer, but you get a damn nice car when all is said and done.

DonJuan
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Sohaib at JDM source gets cars from private sales, give him a call or pm. (he is also a sponsor on here as well)