PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Windows..

vtec
12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
My computer is very slow at the moment, just to much crap on the hard drive.

i would like to clear everything and start from fresh.

I've tried to reformat the hard drive, but files before are still saved in my hard drive.

How do I do this properly?

Thanks

ogpog
12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Backup all files you want to keep.

Insert Windows XP disc.

Restart computer and set to boot from cd-rom.

Select format, and reformat the partition you would like to reinstall windows on.

All files currently on the hard drive at this point will be erased.

Windows installs and your computer is clean. Time to enjoy.

vtec
12-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Thats what i did. But when i go into my "programs files" a bunch of crap is still there.

ogpog
12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by vtec
Thats what i did. But when i go into my "programs files" a bunch of crap is still there.

Are you positive you selected Install and not repair? Or that you did the FULL Format and not the "quick" format? Did you format the incorrect partition perhaps?

jav_
12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
delete the whole partition then create a new one (NTFS)

vtec
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Yes im sure i selected install.

I selected the Partition i wanted to delete, but it wouldn't let me.
It was saying that it was unable to delete due to this file contains files it needs to complete the installation. So i choosed the option it gave me to install it over that partition. Then it said it wasnt safe to install windows over another windows file that already exists. I continued on, and it showed it deleteing everything.

What am i doing wrong?

sorry guys, im not that great dealing with computers.

Zero102
12-06-2006, 11:21 PM
If you get that error, then you are not booting from the CD and running the install from the CD.
If you start from the CD, you can wipe the entire hard drive clean without consequence.

Unknown303
12-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Yeah if your doing the proper install off of the CD you should be able to delete all partitions on the HD and start from scratch.

vtec
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
thats what i think im doing.

- i start up my computer
- let it boot off the cd
- and follow instructions.
- i choose to install windows instead of repair
- then it tells me to select the partition i want to install it on.
At the same menu it want to choose "delete" the current used partition, but it wont let me. It says i cant, due to it having some files it needs to complete the installation.
- So i choose install instead of delete.
- and then says there is already a windows setup in this partition, and installing 2 setups is not recommended.
- but it lets me carry on, and it shows it deleting only the window files. Nothing else.

and so on.

what am i doing wrong?

punky
12-07-2006, 08:21 PM
did ur installation start in windows? or before window start?

vtec
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
before window starts

jav_
12-07-2006, 08:40 PM
killdisk it? :dunno:

eblend
12-07-2006, 08:46 PM
u using a windows disk or a supplied manufacturer disk for a name brand pc? Cuz that could be 2 different worlds appart

vtec
12-07-2006, 08:47 PM
no i have a custom pc, with a burned copy of windows

crazedmodder
12-07-2006, 08:53 PM
If you get a chance do a Quick Format, no need for a full... wastes time.

As for your problem, if you're doing everything right I don't know what's wrong... Is it even giving you the option to format a partition?

What version of windows is this?

Windows XP Home? Professional? Upgrade? Full?

sabad66
12-07-2006, 08:54 PM
are you sure it's booting off the cd?? does it say press any key to boot from cd ....

slick2404
12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by vtec

Is it the stuff you had from before like winamp and itunes and crap...or is the the normal windows shit that comes on when you start fresh:dunno:

vtec
12-07-2006, 09:04 PM
^^ exactly, the winamp, and itunes, counter strike, war craft.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Then you didn't format it properly, you just installed on the same uncleared partition.

Zero102
12-07-2006, 09:17 PM
It is not clean installing unless you format the drive.

I know that if you select the main partition to delete, it will come up and say that it is a system partition and you should not delete it, but if you press enter it will let you, then you press L to confirm the delete
So basically if you only have 1 partition, once you get to the partition screen you press D, ENTER, L, C, ENTER and ENTER one last time :D
I think I have walked too many people through this, lol.

Let's make sure that is the error message you are getting. Well, it's not really an error message but a warning. It says something along the lines of....
This partition contains system files which are important to windows for it to operate properly, if you delete this partition windows will not start properly

If that is the error then it is what I described above. I checked my install manuals and the full knowledge base at work today for your error and turned up nothing, so this is my best guess.