PDA

View Full Version : what car to buy honda civic hatch or talon/eclipse tsi

grandam
12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Hello I am just wondering what car I schould buy next a talon or eclipse or a honda civic hatch back.

85regal
12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
neither :dunno: you are the one who is going to be driving it, repairing it.....all depends on what you want in a car...as far as which one is a better car it would be the civic..

95EagleAWD
12-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Talon. :thumbsup:

CivicTunr
12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
reliability and slow vs fast and unreliable.

EK 2.0
12-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Talon. :thumbsup:

I had a Talon, I loved Cyclone...it was built and had the potential to be stooopid fast, and when she did run...she was stooopid fast...but now...I drive a Civic...hmmm:dunno:

dankish1
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
lol do not buy a tallon unless your willing to give up alot of time fixing it

rc2002
12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
If you have deep pockets then do the DSM. I'd buy the Civic though. Civic engine swaps are a piece of cake. Parts are cheap, maintenance is cheap.

tapout
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If you have deep pockets then do the DSM. I'd buy the Civic though. Civic engine swaps are a piece of cake. Parts are cheap, maintenance is cheap. :werd: cant beat a honda.

CivicTunr
12-07-2006, 06:20 PM
yah the k-series is a good swap for the hatch.
people are running good times w/ boost k-series hatchs.

EK 2.0
12-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
yah the k-series is a good swap for the hatch.
people are running good times w/ boost k-series hatchs.

have you done ANY research??...a K swap is still way out of the park in terms of cost effectiveness for the average modder...

For the price of the K swap he could build a very quick and reliable DSM...

CivicTunr
12-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

have you done ANY research??...a K swap is still way out of the park in terms of cost effectiveness for the average modder...

For the price of the K swap he could build a very quick and reliable DSM...

Yah i know they are expensive, and not worth it

but dsm and reliable are two words that will never go together,

or he could swap in a b-series, or have 2.0L of vtec like Ek has.

EK 2.0
12-07-2006, 09:58 PM
but dsm and reliable are two words that will never go together

For the price of a K...yeah DSM and reliable go together like PB and J

JordanEG6
12-07-2006, 10:01 PM

Yah i know they are expensive, and not worth it

then how come you mentioned it? and how come your planning to do one? :nut: :rofl:

carter_prelude
12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
I have a Talon...and I love it :D I cherish every moment that im spending under her acutally. Fixing it... is really half the fun of owning it. In fact..come to think of it...i haven't been under it in a long time.... *knocks on wood* The cars get a bad repuation, mine hasn't been that bad, but then again, its not stupid fast...yet :D I guess im in the right work field (automotive technician) since I love it when I have to fix my car haha :thumbsup: the only part i hate is when parts are alot of money. DSM all the way if you love tuning and fixing and going fast for cheap....if your not that kinda guy get a honda...it'll be slow as hell but at least your hands will be clean. :thumbsup:

Slashin_
12-07-2006, 10:21 PM
go integra..higher class civic....

Hoey
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Depends what you want, IF you got the bills, I agree with EK. - Get the DSM and Make it fast/reliable...do the right mods in the right order and keep it maintained.

If you dont have much mula, get a civic... And right down on a piece of paper " I WILL NOT RICE MY CIVIC" And post it on the inside of your bedroom door.

carter_prelude
12-07-2006, 10:32 PM
A DSM won't be unreliable if its maintained. <-- Period. I've heard all kinds of cars being unreliable. You will always hear about the lemon that the guy at the end of the street bought. And you will always hear about grampas truck rolling over the odometer 4 times with just doing oil changes. And another guy who bought the same truck and has done 4 transmissions and 2 motors. Its all about how its treated. Don't be afraid of the DSM

Cody D
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
The Talon will be incredibly reliable if you keep up regular maintenance and buy one that hasn't been abused.

I raced with the same Talon engine in two different cars for 8 years and never had any serious problems.

The Talon is easily the better car out of those two options.

silver_gs-R
12-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I'd go with the Civic, throw a B16B (civic type-R), and you will be a very very :D person lol.

But that's just my honest opinion.

GooD LucK!!!

hellraiser456
12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
if i had a choice i would choose a talon over a civic any day...well at least the TSI awd or eclipise gtx

DSM's like people said are good cars...problem is people bag the shit out of them and aren't good with the maintance and then you start getting problems really fast...but if you treat them good then they will carry you ass around from a long time...and they are easy to upgrade and i personally don't like ff cars...for sport anyway

Civics however...will be far better on gas and probably a more practical car to scoot around in. however i don't think they are as fun as talons or eclipses.

civic will probably be a little more reliable than a talon and be better on gas and over all cheaper to drive...and probably handle a little better in the winter

A talon would be far more fun to drive...but the AWD is not the greatest in the winter...mind you i still had summer tires on mine when i had it...and it will be far quicker off the line than any civic out there

Look into to what you want for a car and maybe do some research on both and have a few goals in mind if you plan to supe ether of them up and look at cost benefit ratios and numbers with common set ups

cressida_pimpin
12-10-2006, 04:23 PM
After all the threads you've made about the civic you're getting, I hope you decide on that. Or else another twenty threads are going to be created about DSM's

Loud-N-Clear
12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
After all the threads you've made about the civic you're getting, I hope you decide on that. Or else another twenty threads are going to be created about DSM's
:rofl: I was thinking the exact same thing.

LittleAngel
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I had a Talon, I loved Cyclone...it was built and had the potential to be stooopid fast, and when she did run...she was stooopid fast...but now...I drive a Civic...hmmm:dunno:

dido. i owned a dsm, now i own a civic... dsm fun but unreliable. civic slow but reliable....

k98303
12-11-2006, 01:45 AM
buy my eclipse =D

carter_prelude
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
hellraiser456 how is FF better than AWD in the winter??

hellraiser456
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
hellraiser456 how is FF better than AWD in the winter??

AS i said i still had summer tires on my talon when i had it and it was scary shit....

plus people typical get head high that there car is AWD when it comes to winter...

a lot of accidents are caused from that head high because people seem to think they can stop faster because of all wheel drive...but there is no difference unless you shift down

Also i would rather have two wheels spinning and two planted than all four or three...because in my talon...all i would do is go sideways and with the LSD and the fronyt wheels spinning it leads to some problems...

and to clearify it was a surprize snow storm so i hadn't had a chance to get some winter tires on there.

But for the average driver..i actully believe that FF is the way to go because it is easy to get out of control with any other drive train if you don't know what you are doing and they aren't always forgiving like FF

carter_prelude
12-11-2006, 11:02 PM
after driving AWD...i find it idiot proof as long as you know that stopping is the same. It coems in handy when theres a hill with ice/snow on it. For the record, all i have is summers and so far they've been fine :dunno:

ricefarmer
12-11-2006, 11:16 PM
AS i said i still had summer tires on my talon when i had it and it was scary shit....

plus people typical get head high that there car is AWD when it comes to winter...

a lot of accidents are caused from that head high because people seem to think they can stop faster because of all wheel drive...but there is no difference unless you shift down

Also i would rather have two wheels spinning and two planted than all four or three...because in my talon...all i would do is go sideways and with the LSD and the fronyt wheels spinning it leads to some problems...

and to clearify it was a surprize snow storm so i hadn't had a chance to get some winter tires on there.

But for the average driver..i actully believe that FF is the way to go because it is easy to get out of control with any other drive train if you don't know what you are doing and they aren't always forgiving like FF

just to clarify you are making the assumption that everyone else drives as poorly as you

carter_prelude
12-11-2006, 11:18 PM
yea i haven't had any problems with all 4 tires spinning unless im trying to...and thats with summers AND a turbo

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2006, 11:45 PM
The civic will never break, but it is slow as hell and has almost 0 torque. The talon, as everyone said, is the funner choice but you will need deep pockets.