PDA

View Full Version : FS: Toshiba M40 laptop (excellent condition, over 10 months warranty left)

nokiemens
12-08-2006, 02:14 AM
http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,240053740,00.htm

bought this laptop in October, excellent condition.
Selling b/c i got a laptop from work

its a great multimedia laptop and has a very good video card

Asking $600

just want a quick sale. Still has warranty left .
originally paid close to a $1000 and it was already on Clearance.

specs:
Toshiba M40-YP3 Centrino laptop
- Intel Pentium-M 1.86Ghz
- 1GB DDR Ram (2 sticks of 512mb)
- 80GB 5200RPM HDD
- 15.4" Truebright Glossy Widescreen monitor ( 1280* 800, no dead pixels)
- DVD burner
- Wireless A/G built in
- Dedicated Pci-Express Nvidia GeForce Go 6600 graphics with 128MB ram (Better than X1400 and Geforce 7400, on par with X700 but with Pixel Shader 3)
- 5 in 1 card reader built in
- Has Harman/kardon speakers, the best laptop speakers

DarkDream
12-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Bump for a great laptop for a good price...

msommers
12-09-2006, 09:31 AM
pm'ed

Sonic_A4
12-12-2006, 10:36 PM
still for sale

msommers
12-20-2006, 11:19 AM
For those interested, I have checked the toshiba website and also called them and there is no warranty remaining on the serial number provided to me from the seller, it expired sept 4/06.

dsmturbo
12-20-2006, 12:57 PM
That is strange, says it was bought in Oct..

hoamic11
12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
possibly bought last year?, or there's a mistake somewhere

does he have the bill? where was it originally purchased?

msommers
12-20-2006, 01:44 PM
he was told by futureshop when he bought it that it came with a warranty. We're trying to figure out what's going on but by the sounds of it, futureshop fucked up and this guy is pissed!! Wish ya luck dude!

nokiemens
12-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Hello everyone,
I bought the laptop in october, I don't know why toshiba is saying the warranty expired, i havent called them yet. But I msommers made me aware of this fact and i will clarify it today, i am sure it is a mistake as from my understanding the laptop that toshiba says the warranty expired on is not even my model. I may have misread the serial number when i gave it to him or may have given him the incorrect one.
I will have everything sorted out and keep you guys updated.

pei_boy
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Its an older laptop (from a release perspective) and Toshibas warranty goes from the mfg date of the lappy. So the warranty being expired from Toshiba's eyes is completely legit. This does not mean that you dont have any warranty from FS tho as they will honor the warranty as-new from the purchase date on the receipt.

Another scenario is that you bought it as open-box display or return that was registered on their website and then returned. Toshiba's policy is that open box laptops have zero warranty and anything registered can not be "reset" in terms of the warranty date.

Dont bother trying to get Toshiba Canada to budge on anything they are the biggest pig-headed organization I've ever dealt with.

That being said, BUMP for an awesome laptop... had it and played HL2 at full settings and it was smooooth. Dont let the single core thing through you off, this will be as fast or faster than any of the dual core 1.6 Ghz laptops out now.

msommers
12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by pei_boy
Its an older laptop (from a release perspective) and Toshibas warranty goes from the mfg date of the lappy. So the warranty being expired from Toshiba's eyes is completely legit. This does not mean that you dont have any warranty from FS tho as they will honor the warranty as-new from the purchase date on the receipt.

Another scenario is that you bought it as open-box display or return that was registered on their website and then returned. Toshiba's policy is that open box laptops have zero warranty and anything registered can not be "reset" in terms of the warranty date.

Dont bother trying to get Toshiba Canada to budge on anything they are the biggest pig-headed organization I've ever dealt with.

That being said, BUMP for an awesome laptop... had it and played HL2 at full settings and it was smooooth. Dont let the single core thing through you off, this will be as fast or faster than any of the dual core 1.6 Ghz laptops out now.

Great to know man, I hope everything works out for both of us then:D

EDIT: Question however then. When futureshop honours the warranty, do they personally fix it in their tech shop or do they send out to toshiba to have anything fix and they just pick up the tab?

pei_boy
12-20-2006, 08:29 PM
AFAIK the big retailers (FS, BB, Staples, et al) use their own repair shops. I'm not sure how they bill out repairs to the manufacturer but thats the experience I've had.

edit:
When I say "their own repair shops" I mean local shops that they've approved. That may depend on the manufacturer and problem tho.

msommers
12-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by pei_boy
AFAIK the big retailers (FS, BB, Staples, et al) use their own repair shops. I'm not sure how they bill out repairs to the manufacturer but thats the experience I've had.

edit:
When I say "their own repair shops" I mean local shops that they've approved. That may depend on the manufacturer and problem tho.

Cool thanks, as long as someone certified is fixing anything that may go wrong, I could care less what they call themself lol

nokiemens
12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Update:
I talked to Toshiba today and you guys are right. Basically Future Shop will have to honor the warranty but I need the receipt. Which ofcourse brings us back to my original problem, I lost it during the move. So i suppose i'm S*** outta luck.
The laptop is being sold today for a reduced price to reflect this upodate.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

hoamic11
12-21-2006, 06:41 PM
if you have paid for it with a credit or debit card, you should have a record of it somewhere, which in turn with that, you can go to FS and ask for a reprint of it.

Commanderwiggin
12-21-2006, 11:05 PM
SOLD!! To Me!:clap: