PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps

boscorelli
12-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Just curious, my wife and I live off Deerfoot Trail. It is notorious for getting rock chips from passing motorists. It's got to the point now where I don't even bother getting my windshield replaced anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have anything obstructing my view. I just have a few bullseyes. Anyways my comment is this we noticed that 99.9 % of domestic cars have no mud flaps, while most foreign made cars do. Japanese, German. Why doesn't G.M. Ford or Chrysler put them on their cars ?

People, please don't miss my point here. 99.9% of Domestic CARS I see have no mud flaps. Not trucks and SUV's in particular. I'm also not a tailgater by any means. I always leave a sufficient gap between myself and the motorist ahead, only to be cut off by some jack-off who didn't plan their drive who needed to exit 5 minutes ago. I think people just don't think that when they lane change in front of you, this in itself spits up debris ie: rocks

Just take a look next time your on the road, and see which car companies aren't cutting corners and which ones are. My wife noticed it and now I sure do. Kinda makes me think what else they cut corners on.

Supa Dexta
12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
domestics too cheap, perhaps..?

really its odd.. My sentra has flaps on all wheels.. Yet you see so many suvs and trucks with none, and they are the ones to really shoot stones, with their deep treads

EnRich
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
God I hate these mother fuckers. I mean they spend 40, 50, 60 k on a fucking truck, SUV or whatever, and they dont bother getting the mud flap option. Thats where I got all my chips too, from these cheap assholes. I usually just pull in front of them and cruise nice and close while I'm over the meridian or where ever there's rocks. I just feel like getting outta my car and yelling at them. Stupid ppl... :guns:

adidas
12-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Just back off of em and u wont get any rock chips, thats the best thing you could do.

You can only hear them hittin ur windshield but imagine how many more are hittin ur front end that u dont even know about.

eb0i
12-08-2006, 12:32 PM
It annoys the living piss out of me during weather like this and being stuck behind a truck/suv that doesn't have mud flaps. :banghead:

Supa Dexta
12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by adidas

You can only hear them hittin ur windshield but imagine how many more are hittin ur front end that u dont even know about.

Oh, you know about them.. I would wager a guess that I have 200 chips on my bumper, hood, and front part of the roof.. And my front end was replaced a yr and half ago!! Its good you guys don't use salt like we do in the east, or the cars would be eatin in several yrs..

A2VR6
12-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Yea just dont follow too close behind and you should be ok. Although I still get quite a bit from people switching lanes and whatnot it's not too bad. My car came stock with mudflaps and I left them on for a winter but when I took them off in the summer, the mudflaps made a gash in my side skirts so im leaving them off from now on.

avow
12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
get winter beaters? :dunno:

infected
12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I really doubt the difference mud flaps make. I just got a new paint job and I'm pretty anal about who I'm following and there's not much I can do about it. Whatever.

85regal
12-09-2006, 01:43 AM
people need to stop bitching about trucks and suv's tossing rocks..they have just as much right to drive as you do, it's there vehicle of choice not yours..if you want to bitch at someone bitch at the city for putting the rocks there.

rc2002
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
It's the big trucks - semi trailers and commercial trucks that spit up the most rocks when they don't have mud flaps. I find that avoiding deerfoot is the best prevention from getting rock chips.

CelicaST-162
12-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by avow
get winter beaters? :dunno:

A lot of people dont have that option......

ogpog
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by infected
I really doubt the difference mud flaps make.

I really doubt the difference you make. Mudflaps work.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
i love the ones that fly like 5 car lengths behind them or more on deerfoot from the semi's, I think I have like 3 huge rock chips in my windshield from that right now... And my front bumper is slowly turning white from all of them. But rocks > salt.

infected
12-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by ogpog

I really doubt the difference you make. Mudflaps work.

I'm sure they do, that's why they're called rock flaps. :rolleyes:

12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
It's the big trucks - semi trailers and commercial trucks that spit up the most rocks when they don't have mud flaps. I find that avoiding deerfoot is the best prevention from getting rock chips.

I have yet to see a Semi/Commercial truck without mud flaps... What are you talking about?

HHURICANE1
12-09-2006, 02:38 PM
The biggest problem is the height the flaps are set at from the road. They sit so high off the roadway that they are useless. Look at rally cars. They have theirs set just off the road and they work. If the flap is a foot off the road everything just shoots under them. I got hit from a rock off a semi the other night and I was WAY far back from him. Sounded like my windshield had been shot by a shot gun. Mud flaps should be set just a couple inches off the road or they are useless. Not the prettiest but at least they would work.