PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Field

cbinteg
12-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I was just wondering if anybody knows of any junior/intermediate environmental positions or if anybody is in that field that can give me a few pointers.

Thanks in advance!

cbinteg
12-11-2006, 12:48 PM
wow..nobody's in the environmental field huh?

lint
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Golder Associates has had some ads run in the papers. they're hiring for a few positions

tsi_neal
12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
what are you looking for?

if your a bit more specific i can probably help you out.

ninjak84
12-11-2006, 07:34 PM
^^ Yeah, no kidding

What the hell is an "environmental position" anyway?

Ben
12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Company I work for for example does:

* Emergency Spill Response Services
* Drilling and Exploration Services
* Construction and Environmental Inspection Services
* Environmental Planning
* Compliance and Liability
* Contaminated Site Assessment and Remediation
* Water Quality and Fisheries
* Ecological and Health Risk Assessments
* Forestry Services
* Reclamation Services
* Water Resource Planning and Development
* Contaminant Hydrogeology and Risk Assessment
* Air Dispersion Modeling

cbinteg
12-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm definitely more interested in doing EIAs and regulatory compliance.

Where do you work Ben?

Lagerstatten.ca
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Tansley Associates Environmental Sciences is always looking to hire new employees. They mainly deal with drilling fluids management, but EIA's too.

If you don't mind working out in the field, away from home for months at a time, then it's a quick way to make lots of $$$.

98brg2d
01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
My company hires Tansley a lot for turbidity monitoring and they could probably use a few more people in the field. I actually have three Tansley people (including a new hire) on site with me right now.

Official Hoser
01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I interviewed for Tansley over a year ago for an entry level field position. They offered me the job, but they required me to register myself as a business, and purchase my own truck and additional equipment (safety gear, camera, laptop, cell phone, etc.).

I declined as I didn't want to incur the costs, especially since I have not worked in that field previously and wasn't sure how I would like it. From what I recall, the pay would have been about $50000 - $60000/year, depending on how much work you can do. Of course, your expenses come out of that (although I think they do pay for hotel and/or mileage).

So it's not for everybody. Make sure you can afford the up front costs and are okay with the lifestyle.

Of course, this was over a year ago, and things may have changed.

SuPhistiKatEd
01-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Tera Environmental Consultants. Nice, small, friendly company to work for.

http://www.teraenv.com/AboutTERA.html

Ven
01-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Official Hoser
I interviewed for Tansley over a year ago for an entry level field position. They offered me the job, but they required me to register myself as a business, and purchase my own truck and additional equipment (safety gear, camera, laptop, cell phone, etc.).

I declined as I didn't want to incur the costs, especially since I have not worked in that field previously and wasn't sure how I would like it. From what I recall, the pay would have been about $50000 - $60000/year, depending on how much work you can do. Of course, your expenses come out of that (although I think they do pay for hotel and/or mileage).

So it's not for everybody. Make sure you can afford the up front costs and are okay with the lifestyle.

Of course, this was over a year ago, and things may have changed.

Their day rate is $375 + bonuses for completeing multiple sites in one day, there's also yearly performance bonuses. Yes you'll need to supply you're own truck, but being that your working as a consultant everything gets written off. Depending on how many days you work in a year most of the techs made >90,000 not including bonuses. They're agressively hiring at the moment too.