PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Co-op

TimG
12-11-2006, 01:48 PM
i never ask them to take my groceries out to my car, but they always do, even when i say i'm ok.

Does this happen to everyone? Do you tip them even if you didn't want them to take your stuff out to your car?

teggypimp95
12-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I worked for co-op. They half to take them out, and they are not allowed to recieve tips. If you do tip, they have to give it to comtomber service who then gives it to charity. Its a free service so enjoy it

ashee
12-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah their job is to take your groceries out, so you shouldn't feel obliged to tip them they're already getting paid to take them out.

TNation
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
good post Ashley

turbotrip
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ashee
Yeah their job is to take your groceries out, so you shouldn't feel obliged to tip them they're already getting paid to take them out.

so u dont tip pizza delievery guys either cuz its their job and they're already being payed?

kaput
12-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Masked Bandit
12-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
I worked for co-op. They half to take them out, and they are not allowed to recieve tips. If you do tip, they have to give it to comtomber service who then gives it to charity. Its a free service so enjoy it

I always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing that up.

natejj
12-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

so u dont tip pizza delievery guys either cuz its their job and they're already being payed?

Thats completely different.

When I worked at Panago, the delivery guys made 2.50 a delivry, and tip. So they made 2-3 deliveries an hour, and are expected to be tipped. No one at coop expects to be tipped.... they are getting paid 9/hr to do that.... and plus, the rules say, they cant accept tips.

DoubleLP
12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Thats completely different.

When I worked at Panago, the delivery guys made 2.50 a delivry, and tip. So they made 2-3 deliveries an hour, and are expected to be tipped. No one at coop expects to be tipped.... they are getting paid 9/hr to do that.... and plus, the rules say, they cant accept tips.

2.50 a delivery? Ouch that sucks!

teggypimp95
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
co-op employees are strickly told by management that they are not allowed to accept tips. It results in being written up if cought. Its a union thing.

Hamann
12-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I've never had them take my groceries out when i tell them i dont need help...:dunno: but i never tip them, i used to always tip Pizza Delivery Guys, but i've been hearing alot lately that they add on an extra charge anyway just to get it delivered, not sure if its true though...?

ashee
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Most resturants and food industry services include a mandatory tip in the cost, yes.

Cruz
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Most resturants and food industry services include a mandatory tip in the cost, yes.

I have never heard of that nor experienced it. Some restaurants add a "delivery charge" but it is not a mandatory tip and, in fact, you are still expected to tip the driver.

Delivery people, like hairdressers, restaurant servers, and employees of other certain industries, live off the tips, not the minimum wage.

As for Co-op grocery kids, I also have heard that they are not allowed to accept tips. They are not, however, making minimum wage.

thinmyster
12-11-2006, 03:38 PM
i used to work at co-op and i did accept tips. but if asked, i told them that we werent supposed to. (this never discouraged potential tippers.) ANd when i go to coop i always tip. just me though. a dollar or two wont make a difference to me now but when i made 5.50 or whatever it was it made a difference.

l8braker
12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Yea, they always take mine out for me at the Midtown Market in the beltline... The carts there have a locking mechanism on the wheels so people don't steal them. Being a courtesy clerk blows.

ashee
12-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Cruz

I have never heard of that nor experienced it. Some restaurants add a "delivery charge" but it is not a mandatory tip and, in fact, you are still expected to tip the driver.

Delivery people, like hairdressers, restaurant servers, and employees of other certain industries, live off the tips, not the minimum wage.

As for Co-op grocery kids, I also have heard that they are not allowed to accept tips. They are not, however, making minimum wage.

It's incorporated into the cost of the meal. It usually says on the bottom of the menu "prices include food service fee" or whatever which is a mandatory tip. I went to Moxie's the other night and I was trying to figure out what to tip and the girl was like don't worry about making it too generous there's a tip included in the cost of the meal. :dunno:

Weapon_R
12-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Moxies doesn't charge a mandatory tip.

teggypimp95
12-11-2006, 04:11 PM
yes co-op pays decent if you can stand all the union stuff. They are required to take ur things out but if you say no thanks then its cool. I believe the bag and carrie out are now starting around 9 or 10 and cashiers a doller or 2 more. WHen i work there 4 years ago, the senior casheirs where making between 20-25 and hour.

Cruz
12-11-2006, 04:20 PM

It's incorporated into the cost of the meal. It usually says on the bottom of the menu "prices include food service fee" or whatever which is a mandatory tip. I went to Moxie's the other night and I was trying to figure out what to tip and the girl was like don't worry about making it too generous there's a tip included in the cost of the meal. :dunno:

:rofl: :rofl:

Are you crazy?? No server in their right mind would ever say that! The only way that would happen is if you're in a large party and they're adding an automatic 15% gratuity to the bill. Even then, they would advise you before you order.

Especially Moxies of all places. Ashee, I've seen you post some interesting shit but this one's solid gold.

ashee
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Are you crazy?? No server in their right mind would ever say that! The only way that would happen is if you're in a large party and they're adding an automatic 15% gratuity to the bill. Even then, they would advise you before you order.

Especially Moxies of all places. Ashee, I've seen you post some interesting shit but this one's solid gold.

It wasn't our server it was the hostess... swear to god she said it.

dino_martini
12-11-2006, 06:00 PM

I have never heard of that nor experienced it. Some restaurants add a "delivery charge" but it is not a mandatory tip and,

I have experianced this at resturants downtown during the lunch hour. They put on a mandatory tip probably because people take off without leaving a tip regardless of service. :dunno:

Si_FlyGuy
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM

A friend of mine who was a hairdresser for a while said that they make a base salary plus commission (usually half the price of the haircut). I still tip anyway if they don't screw up.

Si_FlyGuy
12-11-2006, 06:09 PM

It wasn't our server it was the hostess... swear to god she said it.

The hostess was probably trying to screw over the waitress. I've never heard of adding mandatory gratuities unless you're in a party of 8 or more....unless the restaurant industry's changed in recently.

Mangina
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I just take my shirt off and let them rub oil on my man breasts. Most of them say that's better than a tip.

DJ Lazy
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Fuck that shit.. I use to work for Coop years ago.. well I didn't so much work, but I hung out there for 8hrs a day being a royal pain in the ass for management, and you can bet your sweet ass I accepted every tip that was given to me and never once did it end up in customer service, nor did I ever get written up for it.. It's some BS rule they have, and I don't know anyone that followed it back when I worked there... :dunno:

As for the original question... If it is a few bags, I usually have no problems telling them that I am fine with taking it myself, and they let me take them... Full Shopping cart, then yea, I leave it to them..

DannyO
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Fuck that shit.. I use to work for Coop years ago.. well I didn't so much work, but I hung out there for 8hrs a day being a royal pain in the ass for management, and you can bet your sweet ass I accepted every tip that was given to me and never once did it end up in customer service, nor did I ever get written up for it.. It's some BS rule they have, and I don't know anyone that followed it back when I worked there... :dunno:

As for the original question... If it is a few bags, I usually have no problems telling them that I am fine with taking it myself, and they let me take them... Full Shopping cart, then yea, I leave it to them..

:rofl: :rofl: .....those were the good ol days.

Worst thing about the job though, EVERY CUSTOMER WOULD TALK ABOUT THAT FUCKIN WEATHER.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm now more than qualified to be a weatherman.

ogpog
12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

Worst thing about the job though, EVERY CUSTOMER WOULD TALK ABOUT THAT FUCKIN WEATHER.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You dont by chance remember you're mirror on the long pole do you? (this is Paul by the way)

TeamBestBud
12-11-2006, 08:00 PM

u sure do live up 2 ur name:thumbsup:

DannyO
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by ogpog

You dont by chance remember you're mirror on the long pole do you? (this is Paul by the way)

Hmm not really, care to give more information to jog my memory more?

ogpog
12-11-2006, 08:15 PM

Hmm not really, care to give more information to jog my memory more?

Well in the back we would climb up the ladder across from the coolers and there would be like styrofoam and seasonal things up there. Then snickers bars from the "returns" cart would be eaten, and there was a long pole with a mirror on it to see people coming. You also happened to sleep up there a couple of times.

szw
12-11-2006, 08:19 PM
You guys made out back there too right?

TeamBestBud
12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by szw
You guys made out back there too right?

:rofl: :rofl: :poosie:

zieg
12-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Well in the back we would climb up the ladder across from the coolers and there would be like styrofoam and seasonal things up there. Then snickers bars from the "returns" cart would be eaten, and there was a long pole with a mirror on it to see people coming. You also happened to sleep up there a couple of times.

Which one did you guys work at? I worked at #9 for a few years..

About the tips thing, sometimes, when I was a service clerk I got forced into taking tips. Old ladies would actually put it in my pocket. :confused:

A few times they would leave it on the ground so I could 'find' it, and once when I was a cashier at christmas I took an order out because nobody else could, and got a twenty for my troubles. :D Yeah that one didn't make it to customer service.

ogpog
12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
OMG!:clap: :eek: http://www.4wheeler.ca/style_emoticons/default/supergay.gif

:rolleyes:

ogpog
12-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

Which one did you guys work at? I worked at #9 for a few years..

About the tips thing, sometimes, when I was a service clerk I got forced into taking tips. Old ladies would actually put it in my pocket. :confused:

A few times they would leave it on the ground so I could 'find' it, and once when I was a cashier at christmas I took an order out because nobody else could, and got a twenty for my troubles. :D Yeah that one didn't make it to customer service.
I cant remember which number it was, but it was the 130th avenue location (i think location 18?).

vadeit
12-11-2006, 08:57 PM

I cant remember which number it was, but it was the 130th avenue location (i think location 18?).

Store 18 was/is the 130th location. I might have worked with you. I worked grocery at 3 stores (8, 13, 18) for six years to put myself through university. I quit at the end of '03.

Man, did I cause a lot of shit there, haha.

thinmyster
12-11-2006, 09:27 PM
worked at oakridge

DannyO
12-11-2006, 09:31 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: , oh yea I remember that, good times, I remember some days when I went in on a weekend, and went straight out back and went to sleep till the end of my shift, how I never got caught doing that I will never know.

Originally posted by vadeit

Store 18 was/is the 130th location. I might have worked with you. I worked grocery at 3 stores (8, 13, 18) for six years to put myself through university. I quit at the end of '03.

I probably worked with you then, I was there around that time, whats your name?

DJ Lazy
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Define "Alot"..;)

3G
12-11-2006, 10:43 PM

:werd: I used to work @ Monterey, was that job slack, management was nice, supervisors loved me, made quite a bit in tips, my customers loved me

:werd::werd:werd:

vadeit
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Define "Alot"..;)

Well .......(the following is all me and my buddy as a team of trouble makers) phoned the CEO before (we managed to get his number) to bitch about our store management. We got a meeting with the COO over that one (he gave our store manager shit).

They tried to get rid of us once by claiming we sexually harrassed some chick. Too bad neither of us had worked within 3 days of said incident and we proved that we had never even met her. Fucking tools, lol. Got signed letters of apology over that one.

That is just a tiny ass sample of what we did. Our manager said that it was a good week if he didn't hear anything about us. We still got our jobs done. So the combination of that and the union made us untouchable, lol.

Edit: I forgot about the "customer game". :rofl: We used to make customers talk to us. We would keep asking them if they needed help, etc. until they had to acknowledge our presence. Then we would engage them in useless small talk. Some of them would get so wierded out. :rofl:

vadeit
12-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
worked at oakridge

When did you work there? I worked there for like 5 years total off and on (ending when I quit in 03).

I probably worked with you then, I was there around that time, whats your name?

I worked there in the summer of '99 or '00, can't remember. I had a white Katana at that time. My name was Ken and I worked in grocery.

zieg
12-11-2006, 11:07 PM

When did you work there? I worked there for like 5 years total off and on (ending when I quit in 03).

Wow, me too..... I'm one of the Ryans.. the one that drove the white trans am & dark purple Firebird at the time...

My name was Ken
Was? What is it now? :rofl:

zieg
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Whoops, double post

vadeit
12-11-2006, 11:10 PM

Wow, me too..... I'm one of the Ryans.. the one that drove the white trans am at the time...

Was? What is it now? :rofl:

:nut: was... haha. oops, stupid me.

I don't remember anyone at oakridge with a white trans am. I worked with a guy at deer valley who had a trans am.

What dept. where you in?

zieg
12-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I was a service clerk and then a cashier.

Redlyne_jr
12-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I used to work for co-op and we arnt supposed to take tips but you know no one will ever know:dunno: :dunno:

slick2404
12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I work at co-op right now while in school, i love it at customer service. sit back, have a few laughs, ring a few things in and go home...jobs great, plus the only reason im working there and not somewhere else is they pay 70% of my tuition. SCORE

zieg
12-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Hmm.. I don't suppose there's a guy named John reading this right now.. that used to work at Oakridge and had a black Subaru rs? He's the guy that told me about beyond...

vadeit
12-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I was a service clerk and then a cashier.

Sorry, don't remember you man. Though if I was to see you I would probably remember. I am good with faces but terrible with names.

Originally posted by slick2404
I work at co-op right now while in school, i love it at customer service. sit back, have a few laughs, ring a few things in and go home...jobs great, plus the only reason im working there and not somewhere else is they pay 70% of my tuition. SCORE

When did the cocksuckers start doing that? They used to never give us shit for school. Only 5 small ass grants for the entire company.

zieg
12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Ah, it's ok. I didn't know many of the grocery guys. I'm about 5'8, really dark curly hair.. *shrug*

jdmakkord
12-11-2006, 11:25 PM

As a former moxies employee, I can confirm that this is bullshit. They do not include gratuities in regular pricing. If it is a banquet or large party, then maybe, but regular dining....fuck no.

DannyO
12-11-2006, 11:55 PM

I worked there in the summer of '99 or '00, can't remember. I had a white Katana at that time. My name was Ken and I worked in grocery.

Hmm, I started there in the summer of 2001, so I guess not.

Oh and I'm not a fan of unions, but damn did I like the one at co-op, only thing that kept me from being fired on numerous occasions.

It was the only job that I was a bad employee at, they treated me bad (only some of the boss's) so I in turn, turned from a good employee to a shit one.

5hift
12-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by slick2404

Details, catch? Brand new coop opened up near me, hiring in every department and I need a slack ass job.

thinmyster
12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
my name is jon/jonathan worked service clerk i think i quit in 2002 worked for like 2 years. had the mr2? dont know what else to say. still know a bunch of guys that worked there

vadeit
12-12-2006, 12:44 AM
my name is jon/jonathan worked service clerk i think i quit in 2002 worked for like 2 years. had the mr2? dont know what else to say. still know a bunch of guys that worked there

I think I knew who you where. White mr2, either you or your gf of the time lived in Oakridge down the street from my grandparents? You knew my buddy Chris better than you knew me if you are who I think you are.

thinmyster
12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
hahah yeah my ex girlfriend eva? but we both lived in cedarbrae

whats your name and position again? im brutal with this kinda stuff

Edit: the only ken i remember was a service clerk LOL and probably still is

vadeit
12-12-2006, 12:55 AM
hahah yeah my ex girlfriend eva? but we both lived in cedarbrae

Ya, you are right. It was Cedarbrae.

How are you doin? What are you up to these days?

thinmyster
12-12-2006, 01:01 AM
nothing much? you still talk to anyone that worked/works their

you remember ?
Jason
Lanny
Steve
meara
sean
tony
to name a few

lol oh the memories! these were the best days

vadeit
12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
nothing much? you still talk to anyone that worked/works their

you remember ?
Jason
Lanny
Steve
meara
sean
tony
to name a few

lol oh the memories! these were the best days

Which Jason? Jason F. (has a younger bro Scott)? If you mean that guy, than ya I do still talk to him. We went to Uni together. I have graduated and he has a year or 2 left.

The only other guy I still talk to is Kory. Did you know him?

We all worked grocery (me, jason and kory) together.

thinmyster
12-12-2006, 01:12 AM
no jason maccrimmon

i cant put the name to the face

vadeit
12-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Name sounds familiar, can't picture him though.

Which Steve do you mean. The one that worked at the gas bar and then went to Edmonton for uni?

thinmyster
12-12-2006, 01:37 AM
no i cant remember his last name i believe he worked stock and then worked till. best friends with sean press? katie the cashier from co-op still cuts my hair too and i bumped into shandy this summer. any of this making sense?

vadeit
12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
The names all sound familiar, but none of the ones you have mentioned are people I really ever really talked to much.

abyss
12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I argued with a guy at the full service Co-op gasbar in the middle of last winter. It was like -30 out and he wouldn't take a tip from me cause he said they weren't allowed. I left shaking my head, it was so bloody cold that day too!